• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup

skiur

Anybody watching it? NBC is has been streaming it too, insane crowd.....16000+ at k1! Does HS still think its FAIL?

4aprice

16,000 at the race yesterday. I would say a win for Killington. Any time you get that many at a resort its a win for the mountain. HS and others my not like it but it hard to fault them for their decision.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

389607ad3dc9d7a5347cbac933ca0916.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

389607ad3dc9d7a5347cbac933ca0916.jpg

It was crazy there yesterday!! I totally believe the 16k crowd estimate! All lots were jammed, cars parked well over 1/2 down both sides of East Mtn Rd past the Killington Grand and also UP East Mtn Rd from Skyeship Base!!

It was an electric environment, especially when a US racer was on course!!

Huge win for Killington, and East Coast skiing!!

machski

Been watching replays and live coverage as much as I can
Great to see the crowds and the electricity of them!! Huge win, definitely puts NE back on FIS's radar!!

cdskier

Thought it was awesome to watch on TV a skiing World Cup event back on the east coast. Pretty cool too to be able to say "hey, I've skied that trail!"

Savemeasammy

It was definitely interesting to see the event on tv to see a trail that I know so well through the eye of the camera. I went today to see it live with one of my boys. It was really cool to see it live and hear the roaring of the crowd! What a great event. Killington did a great job. And, as a bonus, SS has a solid base for the season!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

How many people does Killington get on peek weekends. Sugarbush's record crowd is just over 10k.

drjeff

How many people does Killington get on peek weekends. Sugarbush's record crowd is just over 10k.
Granted they weren't parking anyone in the Bear Mtn lots, atleast when I went on Saturday, and I will say that the amount of cars there, both in the jammed lots and how far out/down the roads cars were parked (and I never saw the Pico lot, but heard it was overflowed onto Route 4, and I can attest that Skyeship lot was overflow onto Route 4 AND atleast a 1/2 mile up BOTH sides of East Mtn Rd!) I don't remember ever seeing, even back in K's late 80's/early 90's million plus skier visit season busy holiday weekend days!!

4aprice

Here's another question. Was the access road hopping on Saturday night? Lookout sounded like they were going to have a big party. Killington can be a lot more then just skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jully

Granted they weren't parking anyone in the Bear Mtn lots, atleast when I went on Saturday, and I will say that the amount of cars there, both in the jammed lots and how far out/down the roads cars were parked (and I never saw the Pico lot, but heard it was overflowed onto Route 4, and I can attest that Skyeship lot was overflow onto Route 4 AND atleast a 1/2 mile up BOTH sides of East Mtn Rd!) I don't remember ever seeing, even back in K's late 80's/early 90's million plus skier visit season busy holiday weekend days!!

Yeah, I know very little about K's previous record crowds, but with a million + visits in a season, that averages to over 5,500 a day and early season, late season, and midweek certainly don't average that. I'd guess over 14,000 on the low end.

machski

Remember too in those million seasons, K had another base and portal at the Northeast Passage (Sunrise) on RT4. Granted, that was a long/cold lift on certain days but another lot/lodge/lift to take off some crowd pressure.

dlague

I watched the last half hour today. They were saying the the course was getting soft and rutted. You could see it when watching their skis.

Was cool to see a race on a trail that most of us have skied a lot. Of course it is generally bumped out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

We went both days. It was a fantastic event and an incredible vibe! Major kudos to Killington management for pulling this event off and making it a huge success! I would easily believe the 16K+ number.

boston_e

Here's another question. Was the access road hopping on Saturday night? Lookout sounded like they were going to have a big party. Killington can be a lot more then just skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I did not go out on Saturday night but I did ask at other local businesses (picking up sandwiches at the deli etc), and the general report was that it was quite a bit busier than a typical Thanksgiving weekend, so I would guess it was a win for the local establishments as well.

boston_e

We took the shuttle from Pico, when we arrived there at about 8:30 AM on Saturday the lot was probably 80% full, so I would guess that it could have easily filled up all the way.

The Sunday crowd seemed to be less than on Saturday (although still very crowded)