• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

machski

Nothing that I've seen. A total zero. Assume they are thinking there will not be a vaccine in time to plan for such a thing this season. I feel that is reasonable.

I know I'm not going to the front of the vaccination line when it is available considering the rush to develop and profit from it. I'll wait to see how you make out.

^^^^^ Thus, why ski areas have not even considered this. The high potential for many to not get it if one does become available widely midseason or so.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Nothing that I've seen. A total zero. Assume they are thinking there will not be a vaccine in time to plan for such a thing this season. I feel that is reasonable.

I dont; as I think the vaccine will be here way faster than is currently expected given the early data looks. Hopefully they're at least planning for that possibility even if they're not publicly releasing those plans.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I dont; as I think the vaccine will be here way faster than is currently expected given the early data looks. Hopefully they're at least planning for that possibility even if they're not publicly releasing those plans.
I heard today that they will have mobile vaccine sights set-up possibly as soon as November. Will be interesting to see if that comes to fruition.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

Pushing hard to get vaccines before the election...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It seems that way... I am not anti-vax in any way (get the flu shot every year etc etc) but I have to say I agree with others and won't be first in line to get something that was pushed through via political pressure to try to help re-election chances.

Newpylong

Hey when you're the captain of a sinking ship you'll look for any flotation device. The production and pressured introduction of a vaccine due to political reasons is downright scary.

That said, I don't believe there will be a vaccine that has passed late stage trials and has made it to production in meaningful numbers by the of the year. That's even with a rubber stamp of approval. Even if there was, there a low likelihood of mass innoculation by then due to sheer numbers. That would leave a (relative) return to normal highly unlikely until tshirt weather on Superstar.

njdiver85

In the early stages of the vaccine distribution, I would assume they are going to prioritize elderly and high risk individuals, so a vaccine for example, for a healthy 40 year old, will probably not be obtainable for quite some time. We are six months into Covid testing, and the tests are still being rationed to some extent! Not to mention, nobody is prepared yet to distribute a vaccine that requires storage and transport at ultra-cold temperatures. It's definitely good news, but not going to help this ski season.

mikec142

Huh? That's not at all what they're saying. The 21 day number is the threshold for a single resort being closed to get a refund. It is either 7 consecutive days or 21 days total. So if Sugarbush for example was closed 6 days in December (after December 10th), 6 days in January, 6 days in February, and 6 days in March, that would be 24 days of closure total. That exceeds the 21 day threshold so if you chose Sugarbush as your "single destination" option for the Adventure Assurance protection, you'd get a credit for whatever percentage 24 days is of the core season.

It has nothing to do with how many days per season you ski personally (or are allowed to ski).

I just read the information provided in the link above. It seems that we are automatically enrolled in the all destination category. I have no idea what my season will look like, but if it's like any of the previous 5 seasons, the vast majority of my east coast skiing will be at Sugarbush and then a few days at Windham. I'd like to do a quick trip out west to ski an Ikon destination, but I haven't made any plans and if that doesn't happen it will mean more days at Sugarbush.

Is there an advantage to picking a single destination? If so, given that at least half my total ski days would be at Sugarbush, I assume it makes sense to pick them?

p_levert

Well, if you Ikon pass holders are worried about reservations and capacity limits, you can always head to Boyne in Michigan:

"We're stoked to share that season passes are set to go back on sale this fall! The ski experience may look different, but the snow falls the same. We do not anticipate limiting capacities at Boyne Mountain Resort or utilizing a reservation system. Boyne Passes (Gold, Silver, Bronze, and NoMi) include our Worry-Free Winter Assurance - making sure you get the full value out of your pass."

from https://www.boynemountain.com/season-passes

Of course, the skiing sucks, but you can't have everything.

cdskier

I just read the information provided in the link above. It seems that we are automatically enrolled in the all destination category. I have no idea what my season will look like, but if it's like any of the previous 5 seasons, the vast majority of my east coast skiing will be at Sugarbush and then a few days at Windham. I'd like to do a quick trip out west to ski an Ikon destination, but I haven't made any plans and if that doesn't happen it will mean more days at Sugarbush.

Is there an advantage to picking a single destination? If so, given that at least half my total ski days would be at Sugarbush, I assume it makes sense to pick them?

There's pros and cons of both options. The way I see it, choosing a single destination makes a lot of sense if you ski mostly at that one resort. Here's a couple examples involving Sugarbush.

If Sugarbush was closed 30 days and you chose that as your single destination, then you get credit for those days (which amounts to about 25% of your purchase price). If you had left it at "all resorts" and Sugarbush was the only one closed, then you get credit for less than 1% (because now you're looking at the percentage of possible days at ALL 37 eligible Ikon resorts).

The downside of picking a single resort is that if say all the western Ikon resorts were closed for a certain number of days but Sugarbush never closed, then you get 0 whereas someone with "all resorts" would get some credit for those western resorts being closed.

EPB

There's pros and cons of both options. The way I see it, choosing a single destination makes a lot of sense if you ski mostly at that one resort...

Agreed. Nothing's perfect, but this seems like a reasonably well thought out policy.

BenedictGomez

It seems that way... I am not anti-vax in any way (get the flu shot every year etc etc) but I have to say I agree with others and won't be first in line to get something that was pushed through via political pressure to try to help re-election chances.

This is greatly, and vastly, being overblown, and is mostly false.

The only "non-mostly" bit that isnt false, is that yes, obviously the Trump Administration would like to have a vaccine before the election for obvious reasons, that would, "yes", help their chances at re-election. But despite everything you're hearing on TV, and I'm sure it will only get worse, there's very little Trump 2020 can do about it. It didn't matter who was POTUS, this was always going to be an expedited, emergency process, for obvious health reasons.

Trump cant create a working vaccine at will, Trump cant enroll patients, Trump cant "rig" double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies, Trump cant get numerous physician experts to approve the vaccine, in fact, if you understand how drugs come to market, there's very little Trump can actually do beyond initiating the emergency fast-track process, which he did. I was telling people on this board there would likely be a vaccine in 2020 despite what you were hearing on TV, because I understand the clinical trial process pretty dang well, and obviously my prediction (which I still think will be correct) had nothing to do with "politics".

Sadly, we live in a nation so polarized, that people who hate Trump will believe anything that fits the "Orange Man bad" narrative, which is a tragedy in this particular case, because it may well cost lives if left-wing people > 60 or people with comorbidities dont take the vaccine out of mistrust of Trump.

BenedictGomez

As for the vaccine itself, there was an FDA Advisory Panel just announced for October 22nd, and this particular panel is the folks who would have jurisdiction over such things (link below).

Usually the way FDA panels work is they have their info to analyze a week ahead of time, which means I speculate (strong emphasis on speculate) that someone, perhaps PFE, perhaps MRNA, etc., will have completed & unblinded their Phase III data by October 14th. I expect that data to look absolutely fantastic based upon their prior data. If so, the, "itz ahl uh-bowt politix" narrative should subside in all but the most politically partisan of people. Also, I expect the stock market to absolutely rip that day, but we'll see. lol

https://www.fda.gov/advisory-commit...ommittee-october-22-2020-meeting-announcement

BenedictGomez

The way I see it, choosing a single destination makes a lot of sense if you ski mostly at that one resort.

Like the good ol' days!

Makes me wonder how much (if any) camaraderie is suffering from these new mega passes. You used to see the same faces, and now that's not always the case.

jimmywilson69

I can only speak to my local PA hill and I'd say the camaraderie is unchanged. As a matter of fact some folks have already or are planning ski vacations together that may have not otherwise.

Newpylong

This is greatly, and vastly, being overblown, and is mostly false.

The only "non-mostly" bit that isnt false, is that yes, obviously the Trump Administration would like to have a vaccine before the election for obvious reasons, that would, "yes", help their chances at re-election. But despite everything you're hearing on TV, and I'm sure it will only get worse, there's very little Trump 2020 can do about it. It didn't matter who was POTUS, this was always going to be an expedited, emergency process, for obvious health reasons.

Trump cant create a working vaccine at will, Trump cant enroll patients, Trump cant "rig" double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies, Trump cant get numerous physician experts to approve the vaccine, in fact, if you understand how drugs come to market, there's very little Trump can actually do beyond initiating the emergency fast-track process, which he did. I was telling people on this board there would likely be a vaccine in 2020 despite what you were hearing on TV, because I understand the clinical trial process pretty dang well, and obviously my prediction (which I still think will be correct) had nothing to do with "politics".

Sadly, we live in a nation so polarized, that people who hate Trump will believe anything that fits the "Orange Man bad" narrative, which is a tragedy in this particular case, because it may well cost lives if left-wing people > 60 or people with comorbidities dont take the vaccine out of mistrust of Trump.

There are a lot of things that most think Trump (or any sitting president) couldn't do, and yet he has managed to do them. He has no one to blame but himself with any such hesitation. I have largely voted Republican since I was 18, but this crazy train is completely off the rails. A vaccine is not going to get it back on - though for obvious reason, I hope it's available and safe ASAP.

Last edited:

machski

Hey when you're the captain of a sinking ship you'll look for any flotation device. The production and pressured introduction of a vaccine due to political reasons is downright scary.

That said, I don't believe there will be a vaccine that has passed late stage trials and has made it to production in meaningful numbers by the of the year. That's even with a rubber stamp of approval. Even if there was, there a low likelihood of mass innoculation by then due to sheer numbers. That would leave a (relative) return to normal highly unlikely until tshirt weather on Superstar.
First off, Vaccine creation knowledge and technology have advanced leaps and bounds, allowing for rapid development (mRNA methods where "real" viral material that could possibly infect are not being used any longer. Safety of these vaccines is likely very high, the main questions will be efficacy and duration of immunity).

Not made it to production? Guess you missed all that news, the vast majority of pharma companies in stage 3 trials haven't waited for approval to start production. They are already ramping production up now, ahead of approval. Yes, its a risk for those manufacturers, but they know this is a vaccine that if it works and is approved, will be needed immediately and not 6 months down the road after they ramp production.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

No, it's quite hard to miss any news these days.

However, you misquoted me. I said, "production in meaningful numbers".

20,000 200,000 2 million, 20 million. Not enough. It will be a great start to innoculate the highest risk groups, but not enough for any sort of return to normal for this season which was the topic we were talking about.

Last edited: