• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How old do you hope to be when you finally hang em up?

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
When they have to pry the ski poles from my cold dead fingers... ;-)

Why do such a silly thing as that? You're going to need those in heaven (if heaven doesn't have snowing slopes, I don't want to go!).

Just make sure the coffin is long enough to accommodate your skis and poles, and let them bury you in your boots.

Phlogiston

I was thinking I'd keel over while shoveling snow when I'm in my 70's; now I'm thinking I can do the same thing while skiing... either way I don't expect to make it much past 77 or 78.

ski63

Mrs

I skiied this year w/ my 76 year old father and my 22 year old daughter. I'm 50 and he was a member of the "over 70 club". He skiied the whole mountain including the ungroomed black at Bristol Mtn in western NY(1200' vertical). He was in great shape and went for 3-4 staight hours before quitting when his knees got sore.
Unfortunately we lost my Dad 10 days ago. After a great day of skiing he had a heart attack as he and his buddy were driving away from the hill. He will always be in my thoughts whenever I strap on the boards.
It has been a very sad time for my family but he went out doing the thing he loved most w/ 10-12 ski days per year.

Sky

I see lots of older folks skiing @ Wachusett. 70's and 80's are common.

I saw an elderly couple a few years back. Hard to judge the age...but they were starting to get to the "feeble" stage. But up they wnet on the Minuteman lift.

So I'm hoping to keep going till I can't. Dad just passed a few years ago @ 82. His knees had bothered him for may years...so his last few were not good examples. He was never a skier.

So if I take care of myself and keep with some form of exercise program...I'm thinking late 70s.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I skiied this year w/ my 76 year old father and my 22 year old daughter. I'm 50 and he was a member of the "over 70 club". He skiied the whole mountain including the ungroomed black at Bristol Mtn in western NY(1200' vertical). He was in great shape and went for 3-4 staight hours before quitting when his knees got sore.
Unfortunately we lost my Dad 10 days ago. After a great day of skiing he had a heart attack as he and his buddy were driving away from the hill. He will always be in my thoughts whenever I strap on the boards.
It has been a very sad time for my family but he went out doing the thing he loved most w/ 10-12 ski days per year.

What a great story. My sincere condolences to you; what a treasure. I'm glad you and your daughter got some quality time with him on the hill. You'll always have those memories, it's nice to hear that skiing was a common interest. Glad he went the way he did, after a nice day on the slopes, rather than lingering in a bed somewhere far away.

Bristol was the second hill I ever skied on. Nice place.

Warp Daddy

What a great story. My sincere condolences to you; what a treasure. I'm glad you and your daughter got some quality time with him on the hill. You'll always have those memories, it's nice to hear that skiing was a common interest. Glad he went the way he did, after a nice day on the slopes, rather than lingering in a bed somewhere far away.

Bristol was the second hill I ever skied on. Nice place.

I totally agree .

This is a beautiful story that captures the beauty of shared memories with the ones you love and truly emphasizes that spending Quality time with your family enjoying this great sport is what really matters. Your dad lives on thru you and your passion for this sport

I'll be 65 years young in 2 months and the last 15 years of downhilling with my extended family makes life a JOY .

Often when i ski alone --Like tomorrow I will make room on the back of MY skis for my DAD's spirit. He passed away several years ago but he gave me several great gifts -- One of which is my passion for WINTER outside activities . I have so many beautiful memories that i have made it my goal to try to share that passion with my kids and grandkids . I put some shots in my gallery tonite of one of my days with the grandboyz --IT Sustains me

This year i'm focusing on the" Grand Chicklets ( they're 7) , they took it up and got bitten too . They think Silly Grampa is all right

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
My goal is 100! My grandmother lived to be 107 so there might be some lucky genes!

Greg

Staff member
My goal is 100! My grandmother lived to be 107 so there might be some lucky genes!

Are you planning to man the reigns at Sugarbush for that long too? I sure hope so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hope there are very few years of my life at the end if any that I am physically unable to ski. I'd rather drop dead then go through the 'feeble' stage that most do.

millerm277

I'm thinking never. My grandfather just took up skiing two years ago, and is now a solid intermediate. (He's in his 80s).

hiroto

Is it true there is only powder snow in heaven? (We saw this weekend that even paradise can freeze).