• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

UVSHTSTRM

I have been reading many many stories about the flooding. In doing so it seems like most are waiting on FEMA. Why waiting on FEMA? I understand the feds and state are responsible for roads and the like and getting food and supplies to those stranded, but what about private home owners and private buisnesses. Shouldn't private insurance in many cases be responsible for alot of this? I realize that in some cases this was freak flooding, but in many instances weren't alot of these homes and buisness in areas that would require one to have insurance of some sort. If people didn't have insurance (and should have) does FEMA cover them or are they SOL? I am thinking more of NH than Vermont. Most of the flood damage I a have seen in NH isn't really all that surprising aka Plymouth/Holderness, Loon, etc are all in what seems like flood prone areas.

ctenidae

Most flood insurance is actually backstopped by FEMA funds, so even if you have private insurance, you have to wait for FEMA to cough up the dough. And they're about out of cash, apparently.

drjeff

I have been reading many many stories about the flooding. In doing so it seems like most are waiting on FEMA. Why waiting on FEMA? I understand the feds and state are responsible for roads and the like and getting food and supplies to those stranded, but what about private home owners and private buisnesses. Shouldn't private insurance in many cases be responsible for alot of this? I realize that in some cases this was freak flooding, but in many instances weren't alot of these homes and buisness in areas that would require one to have insurance of some sort. If people didn't have insurance (and should have) does FEMA cover them or are they SOL? I am thinking more of NH than Vermont. Most of the flood damage I a have seen in NH isn't really all that surprising aka Plymouth/Holderness, Loon, etc are all in what seems like flood prone areas.

Basing this response purely on what my brother, who was affected by the flooding in Rhode Island about 15 months ago went through, if you don't have flood insurance (and in the case of my brother didn't live anywhere near a water source so he wasn't required to have it), FEMA came in an gave him a grant for damages. The grant wasn't anything near what the damage amount was, but as he put it, it just meant less out of pocket expenses to him

UVSHTSTRM

Most flood insurance is actually backstopped by FEMA funds, so even if you have private insurance, you have to wait for FEMA to cough up the dough. And they're about out of cash, apparently.

I guess with your comment you got to my greater point (I am not very good at surmizing (sp)), why does the private insurers get of the hook so to speak?

ctenidae

I guess with your comment you got to my greater point (I am not very good at surmizing (sp)), why does the private insurers get of the hook so to speak?

Primarily because the losses from things like floods are so high, and in some areas so consistent, that there's no way people would ever be able to afford the premiums. So, the gov't provides what is effectively reinsurance, and the insurance companies hadnle the administration, and make a small profit for that work.

It's sort of an odd system (similar to the one used for terrorism coverage, actually, but that's a much better profit center for insurance companies), but the only way to make it not necessary would be to not have people living in flood plains. If flood insurance were eleminated, most people wouldn't be able to afford to rebuild, so they'd have to move after a flood, but that's not a very good solution, either.

catskillman

Have not seen many posts regarding the Hunter/Windham areas. Most roads are closed. and will be for a while. 100% of NYSEG power customers in Greene county have no power and it will be about another week we are being told. The base lodge as well as the entire town of Windham was devestated. Here are some links to photo's, newspaper articles and newcasts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104145002472724772294/HurricaneIrene

http://www.thedailymail.net/
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/flooding-traps-2000-windham-ny-14408398

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/29/eveningnews/main20098952.shtml

bvibert

Staff member

I was about to be thoroughly impressed... until the trucks started to float...

The dude taking the video sounds like a jackass though. The trucks were clearly designed to operate in very deep waters, otherwise they wouldn't have put that snorkel for the air inlet above the roof line. The guys were out there trying to serve their community, I'm sure they had good reason to try to get through that area, and all the jackass taking the video can do is stand around calling them stupid?

bvibert

Staff member
Have not seen many posts regarding the Hunter/Windham areas. Most roads are closed. and will be for a while. 100% of NYSEG power customers in Greene county have no power and it will be about another week we are being told. The base lodge as well as the entire town of Windham was devestated. Here are some links to photo's, newspaper articles and newcasts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104145002472724772294/HurricaneIrene

http://www.thedailymail.net/
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/flooding-traps-2000-windham-ny-14408398

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/29/eveningnews/main20098952.shtml

I haven't been able to find nearly as much info about NY as VT, but I've been wondering how you guys fared over there? I saw a couple pics of Windham's base area during the flooding, I'm curious just how much damage they have. It didn't look good at all!

wa-loaf

I was about to be thoroughly impressed... until the trucks started to float...

The dude taking the video sounds like a jackass though. The trucks were clearly designed to operate in very deep waters, otherwise they wouldn't have put that snorkel for the air inlet above the roof line. The guys were out there trying to serve their community, I'm sure they had good reason to try to get through that area, and all the jackass taking the video can do is stand around calling them stupid?

I don't get how they were able to stay under so long. I know the truck can run as long as the snorkel is above the water, but what about the soldiers? Were they just hoping they could drive through before the cabs filled up (and it seemed there was at least one guy in the back)? Is the cab somehow waterproof too?

bvibert

Staff member
I don't get how they were able to stay under so long. I know the truck can run as long as the snorkel is above the water, but what about the soldiers? Were they just hoping they could drive through before the cabs filled up (and it seemed there was at least one guy in the back)? Is the cab somehow waterproof too?

I was wondering that too. When the second truck starts to float on the other side of the bridge you can see air escaping out of the cab as it bobs from side to side. I was thinking that the cabs may be somewhat water tight, enough for an air bubble to form long enough to cross relatively short distances? There was two guys in the back of the second truck, not sure about them.

It looked to me like two of the passengers were civilians, probably reporters, since they weren't wearing fatigues. Also the soldier that first climbed out of the back of the second truck appeared to have an expensive looking DSLR (white lenses generally aren't cheap) in his hands that he put on the roof before helping the second guy out (who was wearing a red shirt). The second guy appears to be checking out and/or using the camera as soon as he's half way out.

wa-loaf

It looked to me like two of the passengers were civilians, probably reporters, since they weren't wearing fatigues. Also the soldier that first climbed out of the back of the second truck appeared to have an expensive looking DSLR (white lenses generally aren't cheap) in his hands that he put on the roof before helping the second guy out (who was wearing a red shirt). The second guy appears to be checking out and/or using the camera as soon as he's half way out.

I'd like to see a video from in the cab. Maybe they were trying to show off for the photographers ... and just got in a little over their heads ... ahahahaha :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
I'd like to see a video from in the cab. Maybe they were trying to show off for the photographers ... and just got in a little over their heads ... ahahahaha :lol:

That thought crossed my mind too, but I'm going to stand by my belief that they had good reason to be crossing there. If not, then shame on them!

Puck it

That thought crossed my mind too, but I'm going to stand by my belief that they had good reason to be crossing there. If not, then shame on them!

They should have known better. Then attempt that. The depth of the water can be seen by the street signs. In off roading, one never attempts a water crossing that is at the most above your hood and only for a short time.

bvibert

Staff member
They should have known better. Then attempt that. The depth of the water can be seen by the street signs. In off roading, one never attempts a water crossing that is at the most above your hood and only for a short time.

This isn't your average off road truck. I'm fairly certain that military vehicles with deep fording kits installed can operate in waters deeper than the top of the hood for more than short periods of time.

legalskier

I haven't been able to find nearly as much info about NY as VT, but I've been wondering how you guys fared over there? I saw a couple pics of Windham's base area during the flooding, I'm curious just how much damage they have. It didn't look good at all!

This site is covering the devastation in NY, including pics, reports and real time updates: http://www.watershedpost.com

legalskier

A sign of hope (or two) in Paterson?

It's hard to tell from this view but the Great Falls are almost 90 feet tall.