• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Ski Season Ever?

SkiFanE

No way is this worst season ever. of course winters before 1990 are quite fuzzy - and I'm sure there was worse back then when snowmaking was not very good. Probably around day 40-45 and has two incredible days this weekend. If you watch the weather, anticipate what stuff will be like - then yeah maybe it sucked for you. If you go to ski anyway, bet you'd have more fun then you'd have expected. I love woods and bumps best - so I've got barely anything to play in. But I find it and have great days 80% of the time anyway. Normal years it's 98% but oh well - I've come to terms and can't wait til spring bumps and corn on the huge manmade snowpack :). Get out there folks - no need to grumble the winter away. so looking forward to this weekend!

SkiFanE

I went through a weird phase in life I guess. More concerned about seeing Phish and other jam bands than doing anything athletic at the time. I don't think I ever even researched surrounding areas or even brought my skis out to college.
. I had one ski trip in 4 years with college buddies - in one guy's 1970s huge boat - all our skis fit crossways in the trunk (back in the 200cm+ days). His car broke on way so we dealt with that all day and never skied. I did once usually over Xmas break. But at that point in my life skiing was nearly impossible when you slept til 1pm weekends lol. It just wasnt part of the culture of my U. Hlike it is at others (ie UVM). Didn't miss it at all. Then after college I made so little $ I got a second job at liquor store to pay for new equip and ski passes. Turned out my future husband I met at college started skiing before elem school like me - when we finally went together it was like "wow, this is fun" lol.

machski

I think we all need to just accept the fact that as New England skiers every so often mother nature just really drops a stinker. Believe 1980 was the last year that was this bad. Odds are next year will be alot better. Lets hope that the same flip that the Sierras got this year from last we get next year. They were mountain biking at Mammoth last March under a hot sun and now they have a 165" base.

Careful, the Sierra didn't just have a bad year last, the one before it was just about as bad.

cdskier

Can't believe that's considered open.

Assuming that is Domino, then it isn't open based on today's trail report. The pic would have been taken from the HG traverse. I skied Domino on Saturday and it looked much better than that. The upper half of Domino was nice, then the middle part of Domino was thinner and icy. Then Lower Domino below HG Traverse was pretty good again.

benski

Assuming that is Domino, then it isn't open based on today's trail report. The pic would have been taken from the HG traverse. I skied Domino on Saturday and it looked much better than that. The upper half of Domino was nice, then the middle part of Domino was thinner and icy. Then Lower Domino below HG Traverse was pretty good again.

Your right. I thought it was moonshine at first.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KD7000

This was my worse season in decades as far as days out went. Busy schedule + horrific conditions, plus just a huge amount of apathy on my part. Just not excited to pursue anything. My kids even gave up early. I got on my XC skis all of once this whole winter, and that was in my backyard for an hour.

I'm sure there was decent snow to be had somewhere, I was just totally uninspired.

On the plus side, this might be the earliest in the season I've had the mountain bike out on the trails.

cdskier

Your right. I thought it was moonshine at first.

Hah...now you've got me wondering if maybe that is Moonshine on second thought! If so, then yea I have no idea how they consider that open as I don't see much of a skiable line at all...

Savemeasammy

It's twist, and it was open. They were kind enough to put one of those "thin cover" signs at the top!

I'd expect it's closed tomorrow...

Savemeasammy

Hah...now you've got me wondering if maybe that is Moonshine on second thought! If so, then yea I have no idea how they consider that open as I don't see much of a skiable line at all...

I skied Moonshine also. The base was a little more... solid ;)
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1457572920.484773.jpg

cdskier

It's twist, and it was open. They were kind enough to put one of those "thin cover" signs at the top!

I'd expect it's closed tomorrow...

Damn...Twist had pretty good coverage as well on Saturday (albeit quite firm). Looks like their trail count will be dropping rapidly...

Here was Twist Saturday. Glad I skied it before it was too late.
vlcsnap-0970-07-30-09h20m55s799.jpgvlcsnap-0335-01-19-20h25m15s770.jpg

yeggous

Two weeks ago my official advice changed to "Smoke 'em if you got 'em". If you're holding onto anything for April, that's a mistake. Mother nature is not cooperating this year. I've started booking my summer weekends already.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
attachment.php

Attachments

• 200149779-001.jpg
    200149779-001.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 245

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I skied Moonshine also. The base was a little more... solid ;)
View attachment 19480
Now that is putting the "Shine" in Moonshine. I think I can see your reflection :spin:

Burke's natural trails are toast (at least what I could see from the mid-lodge at noon today. The usual patches on Upper Warrens and Upper Willoughby are showing signs of thin spots as well.
Probably going to take the kids to the lower mtn one last time this weekend.