• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sun Valley?

cdskier

Any thoughts or experiences skiing there? My cousin is thinking of planning a trip out west next year and this is where he's currently talking about going.

jaytrem

Any thoughts or experiences skiing there? My cousin is thinking of planning a trip out west next year and this is where he's currently talking about going.

Been there twice, one day each time, 2 years ago and 4 years ago. First thing you might notice is the average skier age is 20 years older than anywhere else on the planet. Second thing you might notice is the "beginner" trails are only slightly less steep that the expert trails (at least at Baldy). Third thing you might notice are they are slightly less snowboarders at Sun Valley than there are at Alta. Forth thing you might notice are the bathrooms are probably nicer than the ones in your house.

The mountain itself is VERY impressive. Super consistent pitch for 3000 vert. Only negative is it's not know for getting all that much snow compared to other places out west. Almost everybody sticks to the groomers though, so if there is any snow at all you'll get powder for days. I was able to find a bunch just by skiing near the trees and it hadn't snowed for a few days. They're not known for their tree skiing, but have been adding some in recent years, so should be even easier to get the left over stuff. Most people there were very friendly (staff and other skiers). I was actually offer a tow on my snowboard by 2 different people while trekking across the top. I think all the terrain park stuff is over at Dollar, so that could partially explain the lack of younger people and snowboarders. The food was also very good, we only had lunch, went for the salad bar both times. Probably the best salad bar around, with salmon and meats available for maybe $12-15. I never stayed in town, so can't say much about that one way or the other. It wouldn't be my #1 place to return to, but I certainly wouldn't complain if I found myself back there for a week.

Hope that helps a bit.

abc

Second thing you might notice is the "beginner" trails are only slightly less steep that the expert trails (at least at Baldy).
First thing you'll notice is the blue groomers are about as steep as the black groomers back east. And it went on for a full 3000'.

Where that puts their "beginner" trail, you can probably infer for the "second thing".

Whitey

Lived there and ski bummed there for two winters. But that was about 25 yrs ago, so my knowledge is a little dated. JayTrem's comments are pretty good/accurate. I would add to that if they do have any snow it is a bump skiers paradise. The bowls get bumped up and they face the sun so you can get some amazing runs on huge but very forgiving bumps. They also have some epic bump runs like Limelight, Exhibition, Upper River Run, etc. that take advantage of the previously referenced consistent and steep fall line. I enjoyed every day I skied there. They do invest a lot in grooming and so it's great area if you are going with family or a group where the skill level is mixed. If I was going with a group of real hardcore skiers, I'd probably end up in Candada or Colorado before I landed in SV.

It's been since the '80s that I've been in the area but everyone says it's gone upscale and it's a very 1% kind of crowd now. But I've stayed in touch with some ppl I know in the area & they say that even with the $ that's landed there the town scene is still somewhat local key and very western. It was a cool town area when I lived there.

cdskier

They do invest a lot in grooming and so it's great area if you are going with family or a group where the skill level is mixed. If I was going with a group of real hardcore skiers, I'd probably end up in Candada or Colorado before I landed in SV.

Great info so far. I suspect the group is somewhat mixed. Even though I don't know specifically who else my cousin is inviting I still have skied with a bunch of his buddies over the years when he used to do an annual trip up to Sugarbush. With the exception of one or two people most weren't "real hardcore" skiers. SV wouldn't have been a place that jumped to my mind to go to, but I'm not planning the trip.

From what's been described so far, sounds like I could definitely find terrain to enjoy. Steep consistent pitch is particularly appealing.

abc

I found the "1% crowd" of SV very down to earth & easy to relate.

Contrast that with the Vail crowd, who I felt more like the 'not quite 1%' but think they're 'living it up' as 1%'er for a week!

deadheadskier

Staff member
One of my ski bum housemates from Stowe landed in Ketchum 18 years ago for a winter and stayed. Total hippie and makes the same comments on the people in the area - very laid back.

jaytrem

I would add to that if they do have any snow it is a bump skiers paradise. The bowls get bumped up and they face the sun so you can get some amazing runs on huge but very forgiving bumps. They also have some epic bump runs like Limelight, Exhibition, Upper River Run, etc. that take advantage of the previously referenced consistent and steep fall line.

Indeed they do have some amazing bump runs. Not sure how they ever form since there was almost nobody skiing them. But oh yeah that bowl is pretty sweet with the sun/bumps.

To summarize Sun Valley in 4 words...old people skiing fast.

jimk

I've never been there either. How does Sun Valley usually hold up in the spring, say mid-March?

abc

Indeed they do have some amazing bump runs. Not sure how they ever form since there was almost nobody skiing them.
Well, not exactly "nobody". Just not many bodies.

But since it doesn't snow all that often, whatever bumps that form got to stay put.

machski

Nothing really extreme but yes, fun fast consistent big vertical. Have stayed in Ketchum a ton for work, fun town with a great vibe. Very inclusive amongst all there. Pioneer Saloon is my favorite apres spot in town. Never know who you will bump into but always friendly, great brews and food. Trout dishes are especially great

jaytrem

One other thing I noticed about a lot of the people there is you can tell they LOVE skiing. You'll meet a lot more "skiing is a lifestyle" people than "skiing is nice once or twice a year" people. Definitely more so than most other places I've been. So if you're on this forum than there's a good chance you already have a lot in common with local folks. It also seemed like a good percentage of the people I met were there for at least the winter. Once again much more than normal.

I've never been there either. How does Sun Valley usually hold up in the spring, say mid-March?

was there this past March. Ditto what everyone said and we had 50" of snow in 5 days, Knee deep 3000 vert of empty trees. Un real. Would go back again. You can rent a condo and walk to the lifts and then walk to a town with more great food than i ever had. No attitude.

x10003q

I have been to SV twice and it is a great place. There are zero crowds, a decent amount of snowmaking, multiple high speed lifts and the amazing Challenger HSQ out of the Warm Springs side - 3144 vertical feet in 7-8 minutes. The food on the mountain is excellent. Ketchum is laid back and the Sun Valley Resort, which is a mile or 2 from Ketchum, is a great place to check out for food, drinks and resort history. I visited both times in March and the snow was fine. It does get warm at the base by mid-day in March. The River Run side is walking distance to the town.

As mentioned, there is a lot of steep, high speed cruising with no flat spots and it will get bumped up at times.

I hope to get back someday.

xwhaler

Went to SV for my brothers wedding 2 yrs ago in Early September with my wife and then 7 month old son.
The family he married into has a 2nd home out there (mega wealthy)

Rented a condo in Ketchum which worked out nicely.
Cool town and did ride the gondola and chairlift nearly to top (where the summit lodge is)
Impressed by the sustained steepness. They don't get the snow of other western mtns but per my brother who skis there most wknds the qty they do get stays for a long time and it's usually quite dry given the elevation. Also never any lift lines even when they get dumped on.

The lodge at base was amazing. Marble Bathrooms
If I didn't have a connection for free lodging anytime I wanna go out not sure it would be on my radar though as a couple time per decade western skier. It's really pretty tough to get to and is a bigger process than Salt Lake/Denver

Played golf out there as well at the Valley Club a private course my brothers father in law got us onto. Really impressive course

The drive up from Boise was gorgeous as well. Flew home from Hailey/Sun Valley on way home.

HowieT2

I've been out there a bunch of times as one of my crew settled out there. Agree with all comments above. It's a beautiful, laid back place, but if you're looking for snow, you might be better off in the east. Good place to go with a significant other who isn't interested in shredding. Ketchum and hailey are great towns.
they had a forest fire a few years ago that opened up some cool "tree" skiing.
also, it's kind of a pia to get to.

Andrew B.

We are looking at planning a trip with my wife son and daughter in-law. The skiing sounds perfect for the group, (my DiL has only been skiing a few years). all are IKON pass holders.
We are looking for a Air BNB 2 bedroom condo. any advice on convenient places to stay near or stay away from?
Doesn't look like thy have much Ski in ski out stuff but it sounds like most places have shuttle services?
Any reason to rent a car if we fly straight in?
Are we better off flying into SLC and renting an SUV?
Any must do stuff like restaurants, apre spots or side trips?

TIA

slatham

Great info - thanks. Wife and I have had this on the list for awhile and hope to pull it off soon.

PIA to get too = self selection on the type of visitors a resort gets...........

Kingslug20

Thats was the hard part when we went in feb..the 3 hour bus ride after 2 plane rides...