Superpasses: more crowds? - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Although I have skied at some of the mega pass areas (killington, wildcat, Sunday river and Loon) already this year, my pass is at Cannon. I plan to ski Burke, smuggs, MRG, and Bolton this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I have to agree with BG...10 minutes was an eternity yesterday. Skied all day at Belleayre, snowed more overnight and during the morning, all lifts ski on all day. In fact, in 3 days I skied there this week I never had a lift partner other than the folks I skied with.

Megapasses certainly do increase crowd sizes.
    Let me clarify. 2 rides on the north face were about a 10 minute lift ride, both around 10:45-11:15. 2 others when we did hit the front after lunch waiting for the summit quad were maybe 10 minutes (I'm guessing; I didn't time any, but it certainly wasn't a frustrating wait). The rest were well under 5 minutes and several were ski-on. I remember much worse waits over the years; granted it is early season still so we'll see. All I know is I'm tired today and feel satisfied with my ski day yesterday. No waits at all wouldn't have allowed me to ski any harder or any longer than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Let me clarify. 2 rides on the north face were about a 10 minute lift ride, both around 10:45-11:15. 2 others when we did hit the front after lunch waiting for the summit quad were maybe 10 minutes (I'm guessing; I didn't time any, but it certainly wasn't a frustrating wait). The rest were well under 5 minutes and several were ski-on. I remember much worse waits over the years; granted it is early season still so we'll see. All I know is I'm tired today and feel satisfied with my ski day yesterday. No waits at all wouldn't have allowed me to ski any harder or any longer than I did.
    Guess what I'm saying is that there were a few people at Belleayre and nobody in line. Sounds like there were more people at Snow and some in line each time you rode the lift.

Perhaps crowd is a poor description, but it sounds like there were definitely more people at Snow than in the Cats. I think that will be a trend as the season progresses.

Haven't heard any reports from Hunter or Windham.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Guess what I'm saying is that there were a few people at Belleayre and nobody in line. Sounds like there were more people at Snow and some in line each time you rode the lift.
    Probably. Take the megapasses out of the equation and imagine this weekend was pre-Peak Resorts. I wonder if it really have looked that much different between Snow and Bell.

Hunter...but the 6 moves fast so waits were 10 to 12 minutes...no wait for Northside..5 minutes for the F...fast and firm..huge rollers and moguls on Eside drive..nothing poachable...Racers looked tempting but I think the redcoated ones would be unsympathetic to my cause..fun day
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

EPIC! Now we know where all the skiers were.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Hunter...but the 6 moves fast so waits were 10 to 12 minutes..
    Yet another example.

Again, 10 and 12 minute waits in early December are not normal.

Those long lines may be EPIC & they may be IKONic, but they are not normal.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yet another example.

Again, 10 and 12 minute waits in early December are not normal.

Those long lines may be EPIC & they may be IKONic, but they are not normal.
    Well, to be fair, the snow conditions are abnormally good for the Catskills for early December. When is the last time you've skied at Hunter in early December? Ever been there 12/6 after they got two feet of snow days prior?

As for my experience this weekend at an Epic ski area? I skied Crotched with my four year old both days. Lifts were ski on both days. Maybe a 4-5 chair wait at most. This despite it being the best opening weekend I've ever seen for Crotched in terms of snow conditions and available terrain. Wildcat apparently wasn't too crazy either despite having 60ish percent of their terrain open, which is almost unheard of for 12/6.

I do think the "megapass" era will increase crowding at member resorts some, but I don't think the impact is nearly as great as good weather and a solid economy have on ski area crowding.

Crotched almost never looks like this early December

IMG_20191207_105715631.jpgIMG_20191207_103858525_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Well, to be fair, the snow conditions are abnormally good for the Catskills for early December. When is the last time you've skied at Hunter in early December? Ever been there 12/6 after they got two feet of snow days prior?
    Not 100% sure as I wasnt there, but probably last year was almost as solid. I skied Magic on December 1st last year and it was legitimately like February, all woods in play etc...
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Crotched looks like it was fun this weekend too.

Thread Information