• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/25/2019: A very merry Christmas at Attitash

EPB

Could also reduce number of chairs to limit downhill capacity from a summit HSQ

For whatever psychological reason, most modern skiers are fine with a 14 minute lift line for a 6 minute ride vs a 6 minute lift line for a 14 minute ride.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I've probably mentioned this before, but the Flying Bear only runs at ~1800 skiers per hour capacity at full speed. That's roughly top design capacity for a triple. The same could easily be done on the Attitash side. I've definitely mentioned that the capacity of the triple and top notch double (both work horses pre Flying Yankee; people did use the mid station on the double though) roughly approximate the capacity of a high speed quad.

Vail could probably run a HSQ at full capacity to the summit if they cut a green boulevard from Saco back into Ammonoosuc.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

I actually had some time in front of the computer to sketch this out, but this is what I'd like to see happen:

1) Six pack w. mid station to replace the triple; Yankee to double-doubles the following year (won't interrupt summer business that way)
2) A green boulevard off the summit to handle more traffic
3) Optional additional runs going back into the green run
4) Widened Ammonoosuc/Lower Cathedral to handle more traffic where green trail enters
5) Cut extensions to Moat, Carrigan and back to old Yankee summit to the mid station
6) Actually use Carrigan as an egress to allow more intermediates to ski lower Ptarmigan and Whitehorse
7) Rate Spillway blue from the double-double summit down
8) Create an opening from Spillway into Lower Whitehorse (and restrict access from Whitehorse to Spillway on Highway)
9) Make Alley Way an oblivious way back to the main base area for beginners

Attitash.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
A trail over there would be nice. A green would be tough to pull off given capacity, but another Saco like trail heading down to Ammo would help. You'd probably need to widen Ammo as well.

EPB

A trail over there would be nice. A green would be tough to pull off given capacity, but another Saco like trail heading down to Ammo would help. You'd probably need to widen Ammo as well.

You'd probably need a hairpin situation for a section or two. It does get steep over there. Agreed on Ammo, too.

I'm also curious to see what happens with the Spillway/Thads intersection near the base. My convoluted stuff over there could enable Vail to put up fencing at the bottom of Spillway and Thads to essentially force traffic back to the current double-double area (the choice to go summit or beginner area would need to be made above Alley Way).

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

xlr8r

Anyone skied Attitash yesterday or today? How’s the condition? How’s the crowd?

Was at Attitash on the 31st, Wildcat the 30th. Attitash seemed to get heavier dense snow than Wildcat but still got a foot of it. No rope drops and Ski Patrol was out there yelling at anyone attempting to duck. Everything open got bumped up quick not enough trails open to spread everyone out yet but never waited in a lift line longer than 3 minutes. Spent most of my time on the Bear Peak side even though there were only about 3 ways down over there, the Attitash side lift and trail layout is just bad. Bet all the grooming is excellent today.

abc

Proximity wins. I was staying at the AMC Joe Dodge lodge. 1/4 down the road from Wildcat. So that's where I went today.

But I've scratched my Attitash itch. It was good in the right situation. I'll keep that in my mind in the future.