• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
did you do that damage completely? or was some of it there already? that's bad...
All in one run! Went down Twilight, (skiers right) and felt the first one then five-six turns later felt another.............went back to top, took a look. Headed very slow and carefully down the Belt to the front. Then went home. :(:mad::confused: I was NOT skiing close to the edge of the trail and it looked like it had good cover. I knew there were rocks around (when aren't they at Hunter).

catskillman

so - have not posted anything for a while, but this keeps running through my head...

Went Sunday. Excellent conditions for this time of year and the crowds was like a weekday in April... Rode the lift with several different folks and just listened. Obviously regulars and my oh my what I heard -

mountain cancelled a NJ club race at 9ver:30 last week after about 70 people showed up to race (bought tickets, race fee of $23 etc...) Said the reason was they could not make snow the night before as the temp never dropped and it would not be safe. You can imagine how that went over, and the skiing was horrible that day apparently. They were never going to make snow on the race trail on March 15th...what BS.. Then the following Saturday they found enough snow to have a mini world cup race....

On a couple of rides up a woman skiing was pointed out by different people. Not a great skier at all, obviously thinks she is. They said some are preplexed as she apparently is going to be on the ski school marketing next season. They were preplexed because she is always yelling at her kids and dancing on tables.

a little girl fell of the D lift getting on last weekend. The lift attendant did not stop the chair. Said "this is my first day running a char lift"

F&B mgr let go. Been there for many many years.

GM swears they will be open until the 7th.

A lot of other typical stuff, it sure made the day go quick.....

jimmywilson69

the F&B experience that I had there on 3/15 was worthy of the MGR being let go. It was garbage... Certainly not worth the "discounted" price. Maybe it was end of season on a week when the mountain all but melted out, but for the price it was an embarrassing offering that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I paid $10 more for 2 giant (12" diameter) bowls of ramen the following day at Killington's peak lodge that were not just good, but fantastic. Its not hard to have decent lodge food, unless of course you are trying to squeeze every penny of profit out of it.

catskillman

I agree - the food is horrible for the price. He has been terminated for about a month though..

jimmywilson69

ok well then it wasn't his fault LOL

worst chicken sandwich I've ever eaten. not even for the price it was strait up gross...

catskillman

what is so hard abuot getting the lift & trail report correct. It says the North lift is open. It is not!! Everything over there is closed. The parkway was closed yesterday mid day because it was so awful, but today's report show it is groomed. There were several bad injuries on it Saturday and patrol wanted to close it totally on Sunday. Well for whatever reason it was opened on Sunday, only to close...the lift attendants were asking every0one going up if there were parked on the North side because they were going to close the parkway and they could not get to their cars.

The parkway was always one of the first and last runs open for the last 40 years. Why is there no snow on it? It has been in tough shape all season, but last week was terrible. So now, there is no intermediate terrain so everyone is on Hellgate. White cloud is open but that won't last as you will not be able to get to mid station soon. There is a 2" strip of brown snow. Thankfully the place is empty.

This used to be a great mountain.......Belleayre here we come.......

zyk

what is so hard abuot getting the lift & trail report correct. It says the North lift is open. It is not!! Everything over there is closed. The parkway was closed yesterday mid day because it was so awful, but today's report show it is groomed. There were several bad injuries on it Saturday and patrol wanted to close it totally on Sunday. Well for whatever reason it was opened on Sunday, only to close...the lift attendants were asking every0one going up if there were parked on the North side because they were going to close the parkway and they could not get to their cars.

The parkway was always one of the first and last runs open for the last 40 years. Why is there no snow on it? It has been in tough shape all season, but last week was terrible. So now, there is no intermediate terrain so everyone is on Hellgate. White cloud is open but that won't last as you will not be able to get to mid station soon. There is a 2" strip of brown snow. Thankfully the place is empty.

This used to be a great mountain.......Belleayre here we come.......
I made the switch. I'm sure you have, but, if not, look at the Belleayre report. Plus you get Gore and Whiteface. I spent 9 days over the last 3 weeks at Gore. Downside Belleayre sold out numerous weekend days this year. Doesn't affect pass holders but I'd consider that if you ski weekends.

Miss all my great Hunter days over the years. Excellent place when almost all of it is open.

raisingarizona

I made the switch. I'm sure you have, but, if not, look at the Belleayre report. Plus you get Gore and Whiteface. I spent 9 days over the last 3 weeks at Gore. Downside Belleayre sold out numerous weekend days this year. Doesn't affect pass holders but I'd consider that if you ski weekends.

Miss all my great Hunter days over the years. Excellent place when almost all of it is open.
I'd get a Plattekill pass for weekends and powder days. The Bell pass gives you triple citizenship no? That sounds way better than Hunter imho.

catskillman

I will be tied to Hunter for the foreseeable future, but I do patronize other mountains whenever I can.

Last edited:

zyk

I'd get a Plattekill pass for weekends and powder days. The Bell pass gives you triple citizenship no? That sounds way better than Hunter imho.
Recently NY started offering the ski3 midweek pass. Used to be the midweek pass was only good at one mountain. You can buy a full Belleayre pass for less than the full ski3 as well.

I'm tempted to buy a midweek Epic as well just to see my Hunter friends on occasion. And if they get the west side figured out it will be well worth it.

Regarding Plattekill I used to ski there on Fridays years ago on a discount card and it was great. Since I only ski weekends early or late season a pass doesn't work. Do they still have the cheap first 100 people on Friday deal? Think it was $15 once a month. People lined up early...

urungus

When I went to Hunter in January they had an excellent printed trail report available at the customer surface desk, it’s a shame that they don’t post this detailed info on their web site

Hunter Mountain Conditions.jpeg

doublediamond

It’s a NYS law that that information is posted in lodge and publicly available. I remember when I lived in NY and was a passholder at an area, the GM would come around a couple times a day and tack on a new snow report to one of the pillars in the base lodge.

All that information can be posted to the website but it boils down to Vail doesn’t want you to come to their ski areas. They even admit publicly in interviews they want the money up front and hope you don’t use your product. You showing up means more parking attendants, more lift ops, more lifts open, etc. You showing up is a cost to them. You staying home saves them money.

catskillman

The landing page on Hunter's website today - they are closed!! Wonder how many people are driving up to ski. Vail cannot even get this right!!

GET IN YOUR FINAL TURNS​

The season is wrapping up but there's still plenty of fun to be had on the mountain! Make your way to Hunter Mountain to get those final runs in.
LEARN MORE
resorts-bug-hunter.svg

Live a little more, and let the snow-covered adventures begin at Hunter!