• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

danimals

And there ya go...time to move on...
I moved on. I’ve been riding hunter since the late 90’s but this year was just a giant piece of concrete rebar piercing the coffin. Im sure there were great days on the hill, but each day I went was sub-par, even for this year. Terrible grooming, garbage snowmaking. Snow reports saying x y and z are open, just to arrive and have them be the furthest thing from open.

I will miss hiking to the ravine during good years, plowing through seedlings on westway after a dump. I may come back if they ever figure out how to open hunter west (Sorry, Claire’s and way out is not cutting it).

Reactions: zyk

catskillman

One great thing they are doing for employees, the ones that are left & are not part time weekenders (like the majority) - they are opening the mountain today from 2-4 for them to ski/ride during the eclipse and then serving hot dogs. They even groomed last night!

catskillman

chairs are off the B lift and in the parking lot by the tubing area. They took down the webcam's though.

catskillman

So - how is it that the new B lift location isn't even close to what the town board approved. The plans I saw photos a friend took at the meeting where it was approved, pending a plan for drainage. The lift is now going up gun hill road, and will not allow access to Ike. They are now supposedly looking to see if they can make a cutoff from Gun Hill into Ike - which will be just a new place for collisions........

mbedle

So - how is it that the new B lift location isn't even close to what the town board approved. The plans I saw photos a friend took at the meeting where it was approved, pending a plan for drainage. The lift is now going up gun hill road, and will not allow access to Ike. They are now supposedly looking to see if they can make a cutoff from Gun Hill into Ike - which will be just a new place for collisions........
Based on the SPDES permit, it appears that the realignment will put the upper terminal closer to Eisenhower. It looks like access to Eisenhower will be possible through the small cut-through near the top of the run.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Based on the SPDES permit, it appears that the realignment will put the upper terminal closer to Eisenhower. It looks like access to Eisenhower will be possible through the small cut-through near the top of the run.
Which I believe would also enable access from there through another cut-through to the headwall of R.Edge. If so, it basically gets you to the whole lower main face (all but Drop Off)

catskillman

not true - according to an employee involved. You will not be able to get to Ike - execpt for POSSIBLY through a cutoff from Gin Hill. You currently can access racers from Ike about 1/3 of the way down and have been able to for years....

Regardless - you will have to cross that whole mid station area, below 5 fingers to get to Gun Hill Patrollers and most regulars are not happy,,,,prepare for many more colllisions.....

urungus

Quoting from the article:

Hunter Mountain is realigning the lift’s path so it passes over Gun Hill Road instead of the Kennedy Drive run. With Broadway’s previous lift towers gone, Hunter Mountain says Kennedy Drive will “feel like a whole new run.”

“Central Park and Central Park North trails will have a wider feel without towers in the middle of the trails, making it a better experience for beginner and intermediate skiers and riders,” Hunter Mountain wrote on social media.

Using that logic, wouldn’t it mean that the new B lift towers on Gun Hill Road and the new E lift alignment will make those trails worse ?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

not true - according to an employee involved. You will not be able to get to Ike - execpt for POSSIBLY through a cutoff from Gin Hill. You currently can access racers from Ike about 1/3 of the way down and have been able to for years....

Regardless - you will have to cross that whole mid station area, below 5 fingers to get to Gun Hill Patrollers and most regulars are not happy,,,,prepare for many more colllisions.....
All I am saying is that if you can cut through from Gun to Ike then you can cut through from there to Racers too.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
All I am saying is that if you can cut through from Gun to Ike then you can cut through from there to Racers too.
Traffic signals will be next year's "upgrade". the LAST thing Hunter needed was more uphill capacity.................place gets skied off by noon on the weekends now. After this it'll be skied off by 9:30

catskillman

There will be at least 1 tower in the middle of gun hill. Crossing over mid station to get there will be a mess. I bet the webcam will not be in the same spot as it has been as they won't want you to see the carnage.

FYI - the new 6 pack chairs are in the parking lot now as well as the overheads for the lift towers.

catskillman

Traffic signals will be next year's "upgrade". the LAST thing Hunter needed was more uphill capacity.................place gets skied off by noon on the weekends now. After this it'll be skied off by 9:30
It gets skied off by noon on most weekdays also......

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

If this keeps more folks skiing the lower front mountain than much of the mountain will get skied off more slowly and less crowded - including the most skied off and crowded trail (belt).