• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

catskillman

I mean the clientele hasn't changed at Hunter not sure why you'd blame that on Vail. Its full of NYC and Jersey's finest and always has been...

One of the reasons I've always driven right by it, even though I can ski there for free now.
I have to agree with you on that. I guess the last 2 years without the bar, or limited this year, there were minimal fights and I had not heard of any guns pulled this year at all. I ski mostly mid week so the crowds are not as bad, though far from the pre Vail crowds. This brawl was brutal and it was not just 2 guys fighting.

Not sure what the future holds, but it won't be any better that is for sure.

Many people are giving up their seasonal lockers, and leaving . long term folks.......

cdskier

You can? How'd you pull that off?
Wild stab in the dark here...but he has an Epic pass that he bought to access the resorts he regularly skis, so now he also has "free" access to Hunter.

cdskier

yeah Free was not the best choice of words...

Included in my pass is what I should've said

"Free" is fine and I think that's the way a lot of people view it. When I skied a day in the Catskills around New Years, myself and the person I skied with both agreed that Windham was the logical choice that day since it was "free" for us.

Funky_Catskills

Not sure what the future holds, but it won't be any better that is for sure.

Many people are giving up their seasonal lockers, and leaving . long term folks.......
Hunter is going to get better - it already is!
I've been waiting for years for all the old "seasonal locker(I gave up mine years ago)" people to go away and let the new blood in.
And they are here and they are revitalizing this town - out with the old and stogy!!! In with fun positive people!
They should all go ski Windham like my Dad did when he got old. I'm down with that.

Funky_Catskills

I mean the clientele hasn't changed at Hunter not sure why you'd blame that on Vail. Its full of NYC and Jersey's finest and always has been...
Yet somehow the people from PA and Mass bug me way more. :)
I think the cliental has changed. I'm seeing more diversity and new older skiers. Less grumpy old carvers.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I've been waiting for years for all the old "seasonal locker(I gave up mine years ago)" people to go away and let the new blood in.
And they are here and they are revitalizing this town - out with the old and stogy!!! In with fun positive people!
They should all go ski Windham like my Dad did when he got old. I'm down with that.
It is? From the guy who played a lot of Saturdays in a very good band on a stage in a bar in a lodge? Which has been not in use for over two years? That's better? I THINK NOT! Us old and stogy(sp) miss all that and so do you! Revitalizing Hunter? The town is dead my friend, look around then hop on over to Windham. That's the town Hunter should be and Tannersville also. And now Drew's store is gone.............. Jeez

One step forward, 2 steps back. Its happening slowly, but its happening in Hunter. We'll see if the progress continues. We do miss the band on stage.

Funky_Catskills

It is? From the guy who played a lot of Saturdays in a very good band on a stage in a bar in a lodge? Which has been not in use for over two years? That's better? I THINK NOT! Us old and stogy(sp) miss all that and so do you! Revitalizing Hunter? The town is dead my friend, look around then hop on over to Windham. That's the town Hunter should be and Tannersville also. And now Drew's store is gone.............. Jeez
I moved on from that band years ago - I didn't like playing the lodge so much and cover music was boring me. And the singer hated me.
I stand by my statements - things are getting better. Restaurants are killing it! Summers have been amazing with people up.
Sorry Natashas place closed. They'll be OK. I go to windham to eat every now and then - it is nice.

drjeff

Glad to hear that from the perspective of someone who is there on the ground year round! And hope that the trend continues!

Funky_Catskills

Glad to hear that from the perspective of someone who is there on the ground year round! And hope that the trend continues!
Thank you. So do I!!!

I'm staying positive - which is really hard with all the negativity pushing in.
The entitlement and vitriol has been nasty on all fronts.
And yet - my friends that run events and work on the mountain have been rolling on successfully - in spite of all the things that everyone says are going wrong.

abc

Changed, but not necessarily for the better.

I happen to know one such "old and stogy" regular who had now cleared out his locker and stopped skiing there. The lack of snow making and the slow (or never) opening of the more "interesting" (aka Hunter West) terrain had turned many "old timers" away. (I'm not that old, and not exactly a Hunter regular. But I'm not bothering to go there when the west side is not open).

But the new "diversity" who didn't know what Hunter was like before may not be bothered by the shortened season, the shrinking of terrain "diversity", etc. They'll be happy to have a long vertical mountain within easy day trip distance. It's a "new normal" for Hunter.

Funky_Catskills

Changed, but not necessarily for the better.

I happen to know one such "old and stogy" regular who had now cleared out his locker and stopped skiing there. The lack of snow making and the slow (or never) opening of the more "interesting" (aka Hunter West) terrain had turned many "old timers" away. (I'm not that old, and not exactly a Hunter regular. But I'm not bothering to go there when the west side is not open).

But the new "diversity" who didn't know what Hunter was like before may not be bothered by the shortened season, the shrinking of terrain "diversity", etc. They'll be happy to have a long vertical mountain within easy day trip distance. It's a "new normal" for Hunter.

I guess that all depends on where you come from. I think the change as a whole for the town is for the better. My hope is the mountain gets better for all next year.
I've got no complaints - I usually ride mid-week. I live near the Northface so it's easy to jump out for a few runs at lunch. My boss is cool with it. I never go to the lodge anymore as my social life has turned more into hanging with local friends not weekenders. So I've turned my back on the social scene for the most part. I do miss John the bartender and Jerry too. :)
AND
I'm super happy the old folks can find a good place to settle into. My Dad loved Windham and Bellayre towards the end of his life. They served him well.
AND
By diversity - I mean people. Not ski trails. More people of all types are enjoying the area which makes me happy.

catskillman

I guess that all depends on where you come from. I think the change as a whole for the town is for the better. My hope is the mountain gets better for all next year.
I've got no complaints - I usually ride mid-week. I live near the Northface so it's easy to jump out for a few runs at lunch. My boss is cool with it. I never go to the lodge anymore as my social life has turned more into hanging with local friends not weekenders. So I've turned my back on the social scene for the most part. I do miss John the bartender and Jerry too. :)
AND
I'm super happy the old folks can find a good place to settle into. My Dad loved Windham and Bellayre towards the end of his life. They served him well.
AND
By diversity - I mean people. Not ski trails. More people of all types are enjoying the area which makes me happy.
the lodge scene is a huge part of any mountain experience, especially for the regulars. Just because you are no longer interested in socializing with us, does not mean things are improving. Because, if you go to the lodge, I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone, a regular, that is happy. The skiing has been awful for the most part of the season, there was no socializing except for frankie twice on the deck. By the way, he played on Satruday, but the mountain never announced that.
Sorry Doug, you are way off. the rest of us do not want to tune back on our social life and want to ski and socialize with civil and safe riders & skiers. Oh, and who wants to stand in a line for 45 minutes, take an hour to get rentals on a good day, be able to book a lesson and not have to pay $8 for a slice of pizza. I could go on and on....

Funky_Catskills

Sorry Doug, you are way off. the rest of us do not want to tune back on our social life and want to ski and socialize with civil and safe riders & skiers. Oh, and who wants to stand in a line for 45 minutes, take an hour to get rentals on a good day, be able to book a lesson and not have to pay $8 for a slice of pizza. I could go on and on....

Good job becoming the person that speaks for the "rest of us". :)
Just my perspective and some others as well(I don't speak for everyone - just my friends).

abc

Diversity, is a word that describes anything that's not homogeneous.

It can mean diversity of people, which is what this word had recently had been hijacked by the social police.

But the diversity of people who're now skiing Hunter is skiing a less diversity of terrain. Call it the dumbing down of challenges?