• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

cdskier

It's about 20 min further as is Windham (adding 40 min to long day trip)
But
1. Most runs one could lap there are significantly shorter
2. Most lIfts are slower
3. If we get a pass then all other options are much further while Hunter pass includes a couple closer options too

I keep considering ORDA pass - but that is what stops me. And I'm not wealthy enough for my family to ski every weekend Thanksgiving to Easter without a pass.

Really weird to me to think of a way that both Belleayre and Windham are 20 minutes further of a drive than Hunter. Coming from the north I could understand Belleayre being longer, but then Windham would be shorter. Coming from the south, Hunter and Belleayre are mere minutes of a difference (Windham is definitely a good 20 minutes further than either Belleayre or Hunter though). And in reality the road to Belleayre once you get off the thruway is much better than the one to Hunter.

While I haven't skied Belleayre in a while, I always loved the terrain. You may not have quite the challenge of the Hunter West trails, but considering many of those are rarely open these days I'm not sure how much that matters in reality. Belleayre also has the advantage in terms of glades and as danimals pointed out, they get significantly more natural snow than Hunter. I'd also offset the fact that some of Belleayre's lifts are slower by the crowds and lift lines being less. This could have changed since I was last there, but Belleayre's lift lines were often shorter than Hunter's. So you make up for the slow lifts by waiting less in line.

If the ORDA pass existed back when I skied Belleayre, that 100% would have been my choice. Day trips to Belleayre plus a couple weekend trips to Gore or Whiteface all on one pass would have been hard to pass up.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Really weird to me to think of a way that both Belleayre and Windham are 20 minutes further of a drive than Hunter. Coming from the north I could understand Belleayre being longer, but then Windham would be shorter. Coming from the south, Hunter and Belleayre are mere minutes of a difference (Windham is definitely a good 20 minutes further than either Belleayre or Hunter though). And in reality the road to Belleayre once you get off the thruway is much better than the one to Hunter.

While I haven't skied Belleayre in a while, I always loved the terrain. You may not have quite the challenge of the Hunter West trails, but considering many of those are rarely open these days I'm not sure how much that matters in reality. Belleayre also has the advantage in terms of glades and as danimals pointed out, they get significantly more natural snow than Hunter. I'd also offset the fact that some of Belleayre's lifts are slower by the crowds and lift lines being less. This could have changed since I was last there, but Belleayre's lift lines were often shorter than Hunter's. So you make up for the slow lifts by waiting less in line.

If the ORDA pass existed back when I skied Belleayre, that 100% would have been my choice. Day trips to Belleayre plus a couple weekend trips to Gore or Whiteface all on one pass would have been hard to pass up.
It is an extra 7 miles, and 16 miles further from Interstate. Maybe sometimes that only adds 15 min each way but on snowy roads it can add 40 each way. I have done it many times in my pre Epic days

Windham probably actually adds 30 min each way on a clear day

cdskier

It is an extra 7 miles, and 16 miles further from Interstate. Maybe sometimes that only adds 15 min each way but on snowy roads it can add 40 each way. I have done it many times in my pre Epic days

Windham probably actually adds 30 min each way on a clear day
Suit yourself...saying Belleayre is further than Hunter and using that as your justification is just odd. I've driven both and always found Belleayre to be worst case the same and best case faster to get to in reality. Saying you prefer Hunter's terrain is fine. But if it really takes you 15-40 minutes more to get to Belleayre, you're doing something wrong. 28 from the Thruway to Belleayre has to be one of the easiest drives around to a ski area even after a storm. The road is straight, wide, and well-maintained. I never once had an issue on it in snowy conditions where it took me any substantial amount of extra time. Maybe if you're driving right in the middle of a storm, but then I can't see the roads to Hunter on a day like that being faster even though it may be a few less miles from the Thruway itself.

I think even Windham being 30 further on a clear day is a bit of a stretch too. Not that I'm a Windham fan, but even Google maps says Windham is only 10 minutes further than Hunter from my house in NJ. (I thought it was closer to 15ish from last time I drove it).

danimals

Suit yourself...saying Belleayre is further than Hunter and using that as your justification is just odd. I've driven both and always found Belleayre to be worst case the same and best case faster to get to in reality. Saying you prefer Hunter's terrain is fine. But if it really takes you 15-40 minutes more to get to Belleayre, you're doing something wrong. 28 from the Thruway to Belleayre has to be one of the easiest drives around to a ski area even after a storm. The road is straight, wide, and well-maintained. I never once had an issue on it in snowy conditions where it took me any substantial amount of extra time. Maybe if you're driving right in the middle of a storm, but then I can't see the roads to Hunter on a day like that being faster even though it may be a few less miles from the Thruway itself.

I think even Windham being 30 further on a clear day is a bit of a stretch too. Not that I'm a Windham fan, but even Google maps says Windham is only 10 minutes further than Hunter from my house in NJ. (I thought it was closer to 15ish from last time I drove it).
Same. I come from south jersey, and hunter always takes a bit longer than belleayre regardless of what maps says at the start. Especially on a pow day, the road to hunter can be pretty wild.

Jersey Skier

Coming from the South Google says Hunter is 3 minutes faster. Seems about right when I drive. Leaving central NJ at 6:30 am gets me to either at 9 if I don't stop.

And if there's powder, the extra 20 to continue to Platty blows everything away.

catskillman

I always knew Hunter was a love it or hate it place, but this seems to have moved beyond that. It's a disaster on and off the trails. Black mold, getting pushed off a chair lift, dangerous conditions, so many great options.
it gets better. Sunday the police were called. Intoxicated man and woman causing trouble, ban broke a window with their hands. Male was last seen walking down ski bowl rd followed by an employee. Nothing more heard on neighbors police scanner after that....and the fun continues.

Heard the conditions were quite good today.

70+ Ski Club race is on Wednesday. Great that Vail is continuing this !!!!!!!!

NYDB

Can't blame vail for that.

blame em for not making snow or opening trails but the drunken asshole from long island / jersey shit has been going on since I was a kid.

catskillman

just saw on the webcam (745) about a dozen employees that somehow made it to work today. Mostly red jackets. And at 5:30 they were grooming, even the walkway - never ever noticed that they groomed that area by the waffle shack and the stairs.

There is about a foot on the ground - it is snowing very heavily, and the heaviest snowfall is supposed to be between 11 and 4 with about another foot.

Don't not rush down - it is a mess. and it is as wet and heavy as it can be. roads are in bad shape and wind is most likely taking down the main lifts daily unti l Sunday I hear. There will be even less parking when they finally get a chance to plow the snow. Weekend will be a nightmare - but then you all know that.

Kingslug20

Funny how the storm that dumped 8 feet many moons ago did not affect ops Thursday and friday...wasn't until that Saturday everything went to hell..

catskillman

Funny how the storm that dumped 8 feet many moons ago did not affect ops Thursday and friday...wasn't until that Saturday everything went to hell..
Actually it did. Only lift open was D - took that to F and skied down westway. A lift died. They (Bruce Transue) tried to start it up with diesel fuel and started it on fire. Over 100 of us had to walk almost 2 miles back to the main lodge !

That was it for the day ! Thanks for the memory

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Snow is NOT heavy/wet, all lifts operated normally, just about the whole mtn was open. Once the snow got tracked out, it got very hard to ski for me. Fun day for all!!!!
Still snowing, fearing the wind tomorrow will shutdown lifts..........

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Reporting Annapurna open too. Really all but glades open - and can't imagine glades are not skiable as well.

catskillman

Reporting Annapurna open too. Really all but glades open - and can't imagine glades are not skiable as well.
tough skiing. Exhausting actually. Better to be on a board than on skis today. Not crowded, very windy, and the snow is now just all clumped and heavy. I am done for the day. Easy to get hurt....

Nothing is groomed except the parkway and mossy brook. Mountain is totally open, except the glades and the runs off of E lift at Hunter 1 / east.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Today's deck party..................with no music.

335135045_877967896596846_7806679243316823239_n.jpg

Jersey Skier

Today's deck party..................with no music.

335135045_877967896596846_7806679243316823239_n.jpg
I miss eating stuffed baked potatoes on the deck in the sun. Skied Hunter since 1975. Got engaged on the mountain. Orville and his wife tooks us out to dinner after getting engaged. Haven't been back in the past two years due to Epic. Hope they sell it off at some point so I can return.