• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you listen to music while you ride?

Do you listen to music while you ride?

• Yes, I have a helmet with built in media

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, I use and ipod/walkman etc

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Yes, but only on the lift

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Geoff

Typical Killington skiing noob I say :lol:

;)

I crank up my iPod so I don't have to listen to that booming noise of snowboards scraping over ice. Besides, I'm a life-long KMarter. I always sneak a peek uphill before changing my line. KMart skiers will eventually evolve so their heads swivel 180 degrees. :)

danny p

I almost always ride with my ipod. I usually ride with just one headphone in my right ear (which faces in front of me) and keep the left ear open to hear people behind me. I don't like the idea of speakers in a helmet, I'd rather stick with the earbuds. Warm days when the hill is empty I'll pop in both earbuds, I can still hear people coming up on me.

I always sneak a peek uphill before changing my line. KMart skiers will eventually evolve so their heads swivel 180 degrees. :)

yup.

ripzillia

Originally Posted by Geoff
KMart skiers will eventually evolve so their heads swivel 180 degrees.

That goes without saying when your a carver.......:spin:

sometimes...integrated speakers in the helmet. The volume is low enough so I can hear people on the chairlift, its mainly background. the sound of the wind while I'm skiing down will usually drown out the music...sometimes I'll turn it up so the wind doesn't drown it out, but I can always hear other sounds. I'll crank it up when I get to the halfpipe. I never listen to music when backcountry skiing...
You don't have to be a KMart skier to have a head on a swivel...I look around more than 99% of the other people on the hill. I also pick my openings for maximum space and minimum traffic.

drjeff

nope, not skiing nor riding bike. not safe, IMHO.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me and to be able to converse with people on the lift.

No is the answer for me. I want 100% of my hearing available when I'm skiing. I could possibly see riding a lift using one when I'm alone, but I think on the trail creates additional risk. Mind you, I had a serious collision years ago, so I'm hyper sensitive to other skiers around me. Outside of in the bumps, I'll only open up my speed if I know there is no one within 100 feet of me.

My sentiments exactly!

jaywbigred

sometimes...integrated speakers in the helmet. The volume is low enough so I can hear people on the chairlift, its mainly background. the sound of the wind while I'm skiing down will usually drown out the music...
+1

I bought a helmet for

1.) Protection
2.) Music

In that order.

When I was in highschool, I tried skiing with a walkman one time, and one time only. I tried both earphones and earbuds, and found both to be dangerous, in that even with the volume very low, they still drowned out to much ambient noise.

However, I have to say that having ear pads in my helmet is a completely different story. I can have conversations, and as ECPH said above, most of the time while I'm skiing the sounds of my skis and the wind drowns out the music. The exceptions are when I'm in the bumps (usually empty) I may turn it up a bit.

And for the record, I ski with a Zune. None of that iPod crap.

rocojerry

wireless helmet tunes

I rarely use them, but most likely when solo on a weekday I may break them out.... Occasionally on a day when I spend a lot of time in lift-lines or riding the singles line....

I do keep my phone in a waterproof aquapac pouch, and connect over Bluetooth to a small a2dp Bluetooth dongle(mbr-100)... My goggles strap keeps that attached to my helmet... Its nice not having wires hanging around your neck, although its another device to charge etc...

One day i lost my phone on the slopes, would have been nice to have had music playing so I would have known that after about 30 ft :)

Edd

I have helmet speakers as well, with an in-line volume control / mute button I can hit quick for talking to people, even with mittens on.

I feel like I hear everything fine, and I'm paranoid about other skiers around me. Some tunes can really make the day, especially if you're skiing solo.

tjf67

I have a helmet with the speakers in the ears. I use it occasionaly and have a lot of fun with it. I crank it right up. I am usally the one doing the passing so I dont concern myself with what is behind me. Merging trail I look to make sure I am OK.

On the lift I turn them off so I can speak with the people I am skiing with.
People complain that I can not hear them on the trail. My response. The Lifts are for talking the trails are for skiing.

gmcunni

nope, not skiing nor riding bike. not safe, IMHO.

skied solo @ K yesterday so i used my ipod for the first time. it wasn't as unsafe as i thought it might have been. i kept the volume pretty low, so low in fact that the sounds of skiing drowned out the music but in line or on the lift it was fine. one ride up i could actually hear the guy next to me's music over my own.

on the down side, the ear buds with a helmet flap over them made my ears hurt after a couple of hours.

WJenness

skied solo @ K yesterday so i used my ipod for the first time. it wasn't as unsafe as i thought it might have been. i kept the volume pretty low, so low in fact that the sounds of skiing drowned out the music but in line or on the lift it was fine. one ride up i could actually hear the guy next to me's music over my own.

on the down side, the ear buds with a helmet flap over them made my ears hurt after a couple of hours.

Agree with all of this.

I basically take the same tactic... Loud enough for me to hear it while in the line / on the lift, but wind noise drowns it out while skiing...

However, I have the speakers integrated into my helmet, and it's much more comfortable. I tried the ear buds under the helmet first, and quickly switched to this solution.

-w

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Agree with all of this.

I basically take the same tactic... Loud enough for me to hear it while in the line / on the lift, but wind noise drowns it out while skiing...

However, I have the speakers integrated into my helmet, and it's much more comfortable. I tried the ear buds under the helmet first, and quickly switched to this solution.

-w
I'm the opposite. I hit the mute button when I get in the liftline so I can pay attention to what's going on around me.

Once I'm skiing, I turn it loud enough where I can hear the snow and wind, but still hear the music loud enough to sing along.

See if they make upgraded ear pads for your helmet. They work great on the G10. Worth every penny.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I use the ipod shuffle - it was given to me. It holds enough music for a good day of skiing, and, more importantly, if I lose it, it's not much of a $ hit. It's so small it's easy to stuff away and not get in the way.

I have giro speakers in ear flaps, that works out great. The only problem I had with the ear flaps was the connectors must have gotten a little wet, and corroded. Just like a intermittent wire. I cleaned it all out with alcohol and life is good again.

I always dial down the volume in line and on the lift, since inevitably I find myself talking to someone, or at least listening to them. I find it's safer that way.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I use the ipod shuffle - it was given to me. It holds enough music for a good day of skiing, and, more importantly, if I lose it, it's not much of a $ hit. It's so small it's easy to stuff away and not get in the way.

I have giro speakers in ear flaps, that works out great. The only problem I had with the ear flaps was the connectors must have gotten a little wet, and corroded. Just like a intermittent wire. I cleaned it all out with alcohol and life is good again.

I always dial down the volume in line and on the lift, since inevitably I find myself talking to someone, or at least listening to them. I find it's safer that way.
I'm just going to use my Blackberry this season. I carry it anyway, and if I break/lose it I'm not out anything.

Cannonball

Yup, same system for me....Shuffle with Giro/Skullcandy. Good sound but since it's not in the ear it doesn't block out your surroundings.

Only difference is I always dial it UP on the lift, since inevitable I find that someone wants to talk to me.