• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you listen to music while you ride?

Do you listen to music while you ride?

• Yes, I have a helmet with built in media

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, I use and ipod/walkman etc

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Yes, but only on the lift

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deadheadskier

Staff member
No is the answer for me. I want 100% of my hearing available when I'm skiing. I could possibly see riding a lift using one when I'm alone, but I think on the trail creates additional risk. Mind you, I had a serious collision years ago, so I'm hyper sensitive to other skiers around me. Outside of in the bumps, I'll only open up my speed if I know there is no one within 100 feet of me.

Grassi21

I will rock the iPod when I am skiing solo. When it comes to MTB I never listen to tunes. The main reason is that I am almost always riding with others.

mondeo

I've thought about it, but never have. Definately wouldn't crank it to the point that it drowns everything else out, just sorta as background noise while skiing. First time out would basically be evaluating how it effects my awareness and skiing, as a test run. Then I'd try to fine tune volume, when, and where from there.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I use an ipod and my helmet has integrated speakers. I use it all the time, when in a group or solo. I usually mute it on the lift, because lift conversations are usually more entertaining. Just ask Leroy.

I never use it while biking, solo or in a group. It just doesn't feel as safe to me.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I used my iPod for the first time this year while skiing solo. It's actually really nice. I did keep the volume really low, so I could still hear other skiers around me.

Mildcat

I have the tune ups in my G10 but I haven't used them this year. Last year I use to keep the volume low enough so I could have conversations on the lift. I would also hit the mute button on the cord to hear people that talk softly. That cord didn't last long though (Skull Candy's quality is CRAP) and I had to replace it with a cord that doesn't have a mute button built in.

Warp Daddy

Nope the only sound i want to hear is my skis cutting thru the snow plus the ambient sound around me from other skiers

But i get plenty of sound playing around every day with my guitars and various sound equipment :D :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
The motivation for this thread was a thread on another non-skiing related message board about Natasha Richardson and someone who was interested in skiing and wanted to know who wore helmets. One of the respondents had these two posts to say about it.

"I ski with no helmet.And i wont buy a helmet.Half of the people that have helmets have there ipods pluged in so how can u hear another person coming up on you. Going to Killington this weekend for some last season skiing. I think most of the people care about helmets cause of the speakers, and so they can listen to there tunes."

"Half of the people have the helmets for speakers and thats the truth from someone that worked @ a ski shop.Then its safety second then what color it is"

My response was:

I'm sorry, I just don't buy this argument at all. Do people listen to tunes when they ride? Yes, but out of the hundreds of lift rides I've taken this season, I'd bet that MAYBE 5% of the people I shared the chair with had some sort of media with them. At the same time, well over 50% of people I've shared the chair with, probably closer to 80 are wearing helmets. Also, one doesn't need to wear a helmet with blue tooth whatever to listen to tunes. Most people I know who listen to tunes while riding have a basic ipod, which they could use just as easily with a hat.

From my experience, people buy helmets in the following order of importance.

1. Protection
2. Comfort/fit
3. Color/style
4. Price
5. anything at all to do with music.

I posted a poll over on my skiing message board and I'll report back what the response is.

So, thank you all for participating in my little survey :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
The motivation for this thread was a thread on another non-skiing related message board about Natasha Richardson and someone who was interested in skiing and wanted to know who wore helmets. One of the respondents had these two posts to say about it.

"I ski with no helmet.And i wont buy a helmet.Half of the people that have helmets have there ipods pluged in so how can u hear another person coming up on you. Going to Killington this weekend for some last season skiing. I think most of the people care about helmets cause of the speakers, and so they can listen to there tunes."

"Half of the people have the helmets for speakers and thats the truth from someone that worked @ a ski shop.Then its safety second then what color it is"

My response was:

I'm sorry, I just don't buy this argument at all. Do people listen to tunes when they ride? Yes, but out of the hundreds of lift rides I've taken this season, I'd bet that MAYBE 5% of the people I shared the chair with had some sort of media with them. At the same time, well over 50% of people I've shared the chair with, probably closer to 80 are wearing helmets. Also, one doesn't need to wear a helmet with blue tooth whatever to listen to tunes. Most people I know who listen to tunes while riding have a basic ipod, which they could use just as easily with a hat.

From my experience, people buy helmets in the following order of importance.

1. Protection
2. Comfort/fit
3. Color/style
4. Price
5. anything at all to do with music.

I posted a poll over on my skiing message board and I'll report back what the response is.

So, thank you all for participating in my little survey :lol:

I think you're right on with your assessment DHS!

SKIQUATTRO

i dont, but i think you'd be safer to have 1 in and 1 out to be able to hear whats going on around you

mondeo

Regardless of the percentage of people that wear helmets and listen to music, I don't see any correlation between the two. Have people not heard of headphones? You really don't need a helmet to listen to music.

When I have used an IPOD at Jackson Hole..I like to see if I can ski a top to bottom run faster than a song. It's easy off the Gondola and hard off the Tram unless it's a long song. At Blue mountain, a run last a verse or two..