• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Getting air

poconovfr

Spend some time on a tramp. Learn balance grasshopper. Lastly,if you're gonna' go big........wait for a powder day. Remember Aleeve will become your best friend.

poconovfr

The only way I would ski either of those flat hills is if there is free beer and pole dancers at the bar..........oh and a free ticket.:lol:

I've skiied the Poc's for a long time. Raced at both mountains.I do get to Boulder for beer fest.:grin:

Hey Steeze,where in the backcountry you been? I 've not seen enough snow since '91-'92 season to open anything good.

2knees

Not always. I think it's safe to say I prefer "ungroomed" terrain, but it doesn't have to be all moguls, all the time. 2knees on the other hand...

don't suck me into this nonsense.......

i only ski seeded bumps. on flat trails.

The only way I would ski either of those flat hills is if there is free beer and pole dancers at the bar..........oh and a free ticket.:lol:

I've skiied the Poc's for a long time. Raced at both mountains.I do get to Boulder for beer fest.:grin:

Hey Steeze,where in the backcountry you been? I 've not seen enough snow since '91-'92 season to open anything good.

I found a steep hill along the side of the road in Hazleton when it snowed a foot in late October and I lapped it a few times..earlier PA turns ever..and the Blizzard of 96 people were skiing powerline shots off the Appalachian trail near Blue mountain. If we get 20 inches..I'll hit some sick shots on my fat skis..

Greg

Staff member
Something I want to work on more this year again. Not sure I made any progress last year. Talking with Grandpa Powhunter on an MTB ride this summer, he said something he learned at Hood that really stuck with me. When approaching the jump look out to the horizon. It's obviously been a while since I've been on skis, but I think I probably stare at the lip of the jump and then immediately for a place to land so my head is down which probably inhibits my height. Looking up and ahead helps in all aspects of skiing so I think getting the eyes up going into a jump is going to be a big goal of mine this year.

Carlskilover

i think its just about going into it feeling confident and comfortable with the appropriate speed you need for each jump. starting off in smaller parks and moving your way to bigger jumps gradually will help develop trust in yourself, but I think in the end you just need to grow pair

SKIQUATTRO

i dont mind air when making a section (cliff, waterfall etc) but dont care for park jumps/ramps....spacial awareness isnt a problem, i was a springboard and platform diver for 20 years.....i guess water is alot softer to land in than ice...although, speed when diving from 10m platform is about 35mph upon impact

jaywbigred

I'm going to really give this a shot this year, given I'll be at Mt. Snow a lot and their commitment to parks.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
i skipped the whole thread... but have an idea for you sundown people...

if you help me tighten up my bump skiing i'll help you on jumps. some simple body position adjustments can go a long way, with out giving the feeling as though you're taking huge / uncomfortable leaps.

chrisrunsi

Add a simple grab when you have your float going. Makes you feel like you're in the air longer and help you learn to manuver your body when in flight. I feel straight airs are more difficult because you're at the mercy of your takeoff projection. Adding a small spin or a grab lets you manipulate your position in the air and wont make you freak out when you feel yourself getting off axis. (unless your spinnin corked of course). slow floatin 3s and 5s are sexy.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Makes sense, Greg. It's sort of like when I learned to drive and my dad had to keep reminding me to look far down the road instead of right in front of the car.

downhill04

I think you are over thinking it. Once you get over the fear of going fast and faster into a jump the air will come.

The crashes don't hurt that much. Trust me I know haha