• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Getting air

powhunter

Something I want to work on more this year again. Not sure I made any progress last year. Talking with Grandpa Powhunter on an MTB ride this summer, he said something he learned at Hood that really stuck with me. When approaching the jump look out to the horizon. It's obviously been a while since I've been on skis, but I think I probably stare at the lip of the jump and then immediately for a place to land so my head is down which probably inhibits my height. Looking up and ahead helps in all aspects of skiing so I think getting the eyes up going into a jump is going to be a big goal of mine this year.

Yea my airs still suck but I can use what I learned to try to get better:

1. approach jump with knees bent and relaxed
2.get your hips forward as you start to crest the jump, and get your poles out front
3. pop straight up as you crest the lip
4. look straight out at the horizon
5 absorb the landing with your knees and touch your poles in front

steveo

AdironRider

Simple answer is go fast, and when you think you're going fast, go faster. The rest will come as a result.

Hawkshot99

I used to always wonder how guys could get so much air and go so far without pain. When I would go off a table top I would be scared and always go slow and land on the flat of the table top and hurt my legs from the flat landing. One day I really misjudged a jump and went way faster than normal. I sailed through the air and landed on the downhill landing and felt no pain in my legs. It was amazing to me as a lightbulb went off in my head.
I am still afraid to spin in the air, but clearing jumps is no problem now. Once you get over the thought of this is going to hurt, and hit it with enough speed it becomes much easir.

mondeo

Simple answer is go fast, and when you think you're going fast, go faster. The rest will come as a result.
Another good way to learn speed is to follow someone that knows the jump. Just match their speed, pop off the lip, and you'll be fine.

Probably mentioned before this current thread necro was the 4 point takeoff. This is big. I was having trouble with my sextuple daffys last year, landing way backseat. Realized I wasn't doing a 4 point takeoff, fixed everything. Except for the lack of the last 5 daffys.

As far as vision goes, well, yeah. One of those things that once you realize you're not looking ahead, it's sorta a, well, duh, moment. Just about any part of any sport, your eyes need to be up.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Something I want to work on more this year again. Not sure I made any progress last year. Talking with Grandpa Powhunter on an MTB ride this summer, he said something he learned at Hood that really stuck with me. When approaching the jump look out to the horizon. It's obviously been a while since I've been on skis, but I think I probably stare at the lip of the jump and then immediately for a place to land so my head is down which probably inhibits my height. Looking up and ahead helps in all aspects of skiing so I think getting the eyes up going into a jump is going to be a big goal of mine this year.

I think you are over thinking it. Once you get over the fear of going fast and faster into a jump the air will come.

The crashes don't hurt that much. Trust me I know haha
What the guy with the shinner in his avatar said :lol:

Just like the bumps, you just gotta throw yourself into it, watch a few other people do it, and comfort comes with experience. Just like all other aspects of the activity. Don't over think it, your body will tell you when you screwed up. So will the yardsale the first few times, but you gotta take your lumps. :D

SkiDork

I'll get Iceman to throw his $0.02 in here tonight - I know he's got a bunch 'o' tips he's learned from his coaches over the years, prolly most have already been mentioned...

2 pics: (BTW, he's wearing the goggles he won at the S7 comp)

john_killington.sized.jpg

Killington_Classic.sized.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
i skipped the whole thread... but have an idea for you sundown people...

if you help me tighten up my bump skiing i'll help you on jumps. some simple body position adjustments can go a long way, with out giving the feeling as though you're taking huge / uncomfortable leaps.

I'd take you up on that, but you're already a better bump skier than me too...

Greg

Staff member
I'd take you up on that, but you're already a better bump skier than me too...

I was gonna say, I don't think Jarrod could learn much from us hacks. Just hit up some night sessions with us and practice. At least we're good entertainment. :-D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I was gonna say, I don't think Jarrod could learn much from us hacks. Just hit up some night sessions with us and practice. At least we're good entertainment. :-D
Maybe he needs some help perfecting the beauty that is the dumper air? It's not as easy as it looks!

:lol:

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
i should be around more evenings this winter... the ol' battle axe is working at the mountain more this winter meaning i wont have to rush home after work duties. looking forward to attempting 100+ days this winter after missing out last year.. does my two at mount snow count haha... kidding. please dont continue that nonsensical topic. (btw... totally counts)

bvibert

Staff member
i should be around more evenings this winter... the ol' battle axe is working at the mountain more this winter meaning i wont have to rush home after work duties. looking forward to attempting 100+ days this winter after missing out last year.. does my two at mount snow count haha... kidding. please dont continue that nonsensical topic. (btw... totally counts)

Nice! See ya on the hill!

SkiDork

Iceman says:

1) If you're pole planting on the jump, its possibly your hands are dragging back when you're in the air which would cause a back seat landing. The fix is: concentrate on your arms staying forward.

That being said, he recommends to keep your hand square and out front, but don't plant the poles.

2) To get more air, you should focus on your pop off the jump. What that means is, as you're coming into the jump, have knees slightly bent, head up, nose over toes, on balls of feet. When feet reach the tip of the jump, fully extend (make yourself tall).

3) Before and during the jump, always be looking straight out, never down. His coaches tell him "the landing will always be there, no need to look down.

4) Before starting a trick make sure you are actually fully off the jump (dont start before you leave the jump).

5) So for instance for a spread, feel yourself totally in the air then open the spread as long as you can and only close it right before you feel the landing coming.

6) For the landing, make sure your hands are forward, don't look down (still) and make sure you absorb the landing

7) Now get right back into your mogul rhythm

(typed by dad)

AdironRider

It should be noted that immediately after extending for pop as described above, you should immediately tuck those knees again and get your hands forward if your a skier. A tuck position is much more stable, and otherwise youll end up just rolling the windows down looking like a gaper.

rocojerry

. I went about 64 feet horizontal and I was about 8' up..

approximately 64' -- Nice calculation! By now I'd say it was at least 72' :)

My advice to those that want to take bigger air, wear more padded clothes :) For me, every season I wish I could start where I left off -- Every year, I need to re-progress.... By the end of the year I'm hitting every jump, hump, bump in sight... but I start off the season pretty cautious until that first pow day, then all bets are off :)

SkiDork

It should be noted that immediately after extending for pop as described above, you should immediately tuck those knees again and get your hands forward if your a skier. A tuck position is much more stable, and otherwise youll end up just rolling the windows down looking like a gaper.

not sure exactly what situation this is referring to. Is this for all jumps? Or just tabletops? Pipe?

Ran it by Iceman and he said on the mogul kickers, this would be wrong.