• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Getting air

Greg

Staff member
I've always been really shy about getting air. I'm talking about hits and jumps more than drops, although I assume a lot of the same rules apply. I just can't get past a mental block of letting myself go bigger, a lack of balls really. Any suggestions? I know it's important to stayed balanced and I usually pole plant at the crest of a hit in order to try to stay forward. Still I usually end up back seat. Not looking to hit giant booters or tabletops, but would like to just get a bit more hang time. I think I really need to "pop" more off a jump rather than riding up it. I know one suggestion will be to hit the park more, but I struggle with burning a run to navigate around park rats. I guess you have to though. Any other quick tips?

2knees

i have no clue other then to say you should ski more with Downhill04, Austin or Mondeo and less with us ground assault guys. We all seem to have lead in our boots. We drop like manhole covers out of an airplane.

downhill04

I've always been really shy about getting air. I'm talking about hits and jumps more than drops, although I assume a lot of the same rules apply. I just can't get past a mental block of letting myself go bigger, a lack of balls really. Any suggestions? I know it's important to stayed balanced and I usually pole plant at the crest of a hit in order to try to stay forward. Still I usually end up back seat. Not looking to hit giant booters or tabletops, but would like to just get a bit more hang time. I think I really need to "pop" more off a jump rather than riding up it. I know one suggestion will be to hit the park more, but I struggle with burning a run to navigate around park rats. I guess you have to though. Any other quick tips?

Lets take a trip up to mount snow or another bigger mt that offers miltiple size terrain parks. Start off in the small park and work your way up to the mid size park. Once you get that feeling of a smooth takeoff and an even smoother landing you will be all set.

There is nothing like spinning a slow rotating 360 on a 50 foot table. Oh to be 18 again :cry:

Greg

Staff member
I wish I knew the answer, but my 'airs' make yours look big...

I just knew there was a good reason why I put up with skiing with you...

:razz:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The best thing I can suggest is to spend some time with people who do go for big air. You'll get some pointers and feel a little peer pressure to go after it yourself. I know that sort of thing has worked for me in the things I've done with AZers, anyway. Find those who ski above your ability level and try to emulate.

Glenn

Lets take a trip up to mount snow or another bigger mt that offers miltiple size terrain parks. Start off in the small park and work your way up to the mid size park. Once you get that feeling of a smooth takeoff and an even smoother landing you will be all set.

There is nothing like spinning a slow rotating 360 on a 50 foot table. Oh to be 18 again :cry:

x2. Just start playing around in the terrain park. Start with small features and going slow. The next time around, bring the speed up a bit. I don't know how to describe it; I say "getting my legs back" at the start of the season. I don't really start hitting anything big until I get my jumping legs back. It's a matter of getting comfortable in the air. Once you are, your arms won't swing around as much.

Jisch

I haven't been skiing enough as an adult to help you, but I can relate as I have the same issue with mountain biking. I see folks with far less skill than I hitting drops way bigger than my brain will let me go. It seems no matter what I do my fingers grab those brakes any time I try to go off anything larger than 3' or so. I've tried a lot of different things to no avail, I am going to spend some time on it this year trying to build up to larger drops. It really is perplexing at times.

John

LongStep

I tend to hit a jump and stop thinking and doing which leads to a major crash and a "oh shit" mid air. It sucks I guess im missing 50% of the equation.

hiroto

It would be nice to be able to find a park with a good trainer kicker, shaped and good landing like a real kicker but shorter and smaller lip. Those are really hard to come by. Usually smallest real kickers are too big and intimidating for a beginner, and those small "humps" in mini-park tends to be no more than big mogul which doesn't have nice landings.

I found one at Gunstock last season and enjoyed it.

LineSki15

I lost my jumping balls a few years ago, I came to the realization that getting big air is not worth the risk of getting seriously hurt. So now I just go off small stuff and try to hit the rails and stuff, which is pretty funny to watch me do

cbcbd

Start small and hit it repeatedly:
951111.JPG

When you're not getting that high off of them anymore go a little bigger:
img.278978_t.jpg

When those don't do anything for ya then you're ready for the big stuff
LiquidOxygenTank.JPG

Eventually the age will catch up and you'll have to cut back
42-18054184.jpg

cbcbd

You guys obviously are air amateurs... don't you know the brain works on oxygen. Duh!

mondeo

Just gotta get some practice and go bigger every time. Two birds with one stone - do some flats training on your way to and from the jumps. You don't want to do either over bumps, but flats training is big, though honestly, if you break it up with jumps it probably isn't nearly as beneficial.

Incidentally, the table top on Stinger right now is awesome for growing a pair. Doesn't kill you for coming up short or going big.

mondeo

I lost my jumping balls a few years ago, I came to the realization that getting big air is not worth the risk of getting seriously hurt. So now I just go off small stuff and try to hit the rails and stuff, which is pretty funny to watch me do
So now you're trying to lose your regular pair?

It really just depends..I have always loved gettin mad steezy air. As I get older, I prefer being booted out as opposed to being booted up..meaning I'd rather be in the air 30 feet in length but never more than 6 feet above the ground as opposed to some of the jumps that boot you straight up..but then all of a sudden you fall straight down..

Anyway here are some pictures for stoke to add to this thread..sometimes it's about getting some credit card air..sometime it's about hitting the grass..and othertimes jumping off of an object like a rock or a couch..but when it all comes down to it..it's all about have some untracked powder and a ski bunny in the horizon!!!!

Last edited: