• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good eats near Loaf/Saddleback

Brn4353

My wife and I are heading to the Loaf/Saddleback and are hoping you fine folks could help with some food suggestions. We were there about 6 years ago and found an awesome little place that I can't find now. We were staying at the Mt. View in Stratton, it was a 15 min drive to the south, free standing building with small/seasonal menu. Wife really wants to find it again...but I'd love to hear about other places that come to mind. Good beer and decent prices are pretty high on our list.
Thanks everyone!

Brn4353

I don't recall passing Sugarloaf but know that we drove down that way. We'll have to swing by and see if it looks familiar. What is the take on that place? Thanks!

steve22

Haven't been up to the Loaf in years but used to go all the time. Hugs was really good but you needed a reservation. Hugs is just south of the access road. Other than that the barbeque place on the access road was ok. White Wolf in Stratton was good, a bit of a "local" feel to it. If you weren't with the wife I'd suggest the Stratton Inn across from The WW had a traveling stripper show on Friday evenings!

xwhaler

We did a seasonal rental a few yrs ago in Rangeley so sampled all the local eats up there. Best is Bald Mtn camps over on the shores of Mooselookmeguntic. Nice lodge atmosphere with great food....you really feel like you are in the Maine woods at a special place.
However that is 20 mins from town and close to 30 from Saddleback.

Loon Lake Lodge was ok but a tad overpriced. Sarge's is right downtown, consistent pub food and beer. Lotta snowmobilers.
Good food at Saddleback's pub on the 3rd floor of the lodge.
The Rack is good on the access road at the loaf and everyone seems to like the Bag in the Loaf village.

SIKSKIER

Don't know if they still do it but if you are in Stratton,don't bring the wife to the Stratton house of Pizza(Stratton Inn?) on Friday nights during the winter unless she likes watching college girls walk around naked.

Smellytele

Don't know if they still do it but if you are in Stratton,don't bring the wife to the Stratton house of Pizza(Stratton Inn?) on Friday nights during the winter unless she likes watching college girls walk around naked.

Is it the Stratton Plaza that has the Strippers?

Edd

A buddy and I stayed one Friday night at the Carrabassett and had no idea about the strippers. We were hanging in the bar and they did the changeover and I could not believe what was happening. It was an awesome surprise. This story has been told among my friends a hundred times.

snowmonster

When we were at Saddleback, we had a good dinner at the Loon Lodge Inn. A little fancy but we treated ourselves to a fine meal. At the Loaf, I've only ever eaten at The Bag (Bag Burger, Cheeseburger soup), the Black Diamond Steakhouse and Geppeto's. The Rack is well recommended but I've never gone down there.

Smellytele

A buddy and I stayed one Friday night at the Carrabassett and had no idea about the strippers. We were hanging in the bar and they did the changeover and I could not believe what was happening. It was an awesome surprise. This story has been told among my friends a hundred times.

That's the excuse I will use as well. :spin:

soposkier

Haha, i did the exact same thing. Showed up to check in right when they were setting up. Next night the bar was empty with a few locals stopping in. Food was actually pretty good if i recall.

elks

I think the place we went to last year was Hug's (italian restaurant). Small and somewhat intimate atmosphere (despite the umbrellas). It's a little place on Rte 27 before the access road to Sugarloaf. Reservations highly recommended. The food was good.

Edd

Haha, i did the exact same thing. Showed up to check in right when they were setting up. Next night the bar was empty with a few locals stopping in. Food was actually pretty good if i recall.

That was like 4 years ago but we've often imagined parents taking their kids and how shocked they must be when they change gears but I'm sure the owners handle it well enough.

Brn4353

Thanks everyone! I know where to avoid w/ the wife and where to try. Now that we live in New England again, we'll be heading up there quite a bit! We hit the rack when we were there last time and were not impressed. Kind of overpriced and more than kind of dry BBQ. We'll be hitting the bag for lunch. They make their own brew I hear...is it worth a few pints?