• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highest point?

Geoff

A-basin, various places in the Alps around 12-13k.

I question most people who are claiming 13,000.

I did a quick check of the Alps. Nothing lift serviced breaks 13k. 12,800 at Zermatt is as high as you get.

The Imerial Express at Breckenridge is the highest lift-serviced in North America and is 12,840. .

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

I did a quick check of the Alps. Nothing lift serviced breaks 13k. 12,800 at Zermatt is as high as you get.

The Imerial Express at Breckenridge is the highest lift-serviced in North America and is 12,840. .

Well there's a road that goes almost to the top of Mauna Kea... that's how I got up there.

wa-loaf

Alright, I've hiked to the top of Peak 8 there. So that's the highest I've been.

Uncompahgre Peak.....14,309 in the San Juans back in 2000 when I took a UVM Geology course out in Colorado for 3 weeks..On the hike down..there was intense lightning that scared the skeet out of me..since you're so exposed..but I think I was even higher back at the campground..lol..since 2/3 of the group were hippies..

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Greg

Staff member
The lift serviced at A Basin doesn't go to 13,000 feet. Most people don't hike to gain the extra elevation.

So are you suggesting people are lying to show off? We had a fellow AZer hike the AT this summer. Maybe he's full of shit too?

Geoff

So are you suggesting people are lying to show off? We had a fellow AZer hike the AT this summer. Maybe he's full of shit too?

No. I'm saying that a lot of people think A Basin has lift-serviced to 13,000 feet. I was one of 'em. I didn't know for sure so I looked it up. I don't particularly care about the contents of somebody's colon. I had that procedure done in July and have the photos if you're interested.

I had no idea if I'd broken 13,000 feet. I checked several places I'd been that might have been that high and they were all 12-something. With a little assist from Google, I learned that Breck has the highest lift serviced in North America and Zermatt has the highest lift serviced in Europe. Personally, I don't like skiing at that kind of elevation since I normally live right at sea level. There's no freakin' oxygen. My ears ring. I get headaches. I'm short of breath. I fart like a bast'id.

bvibert

Staff member
No. I'm saying that a lot of people think A Basin has lift-serviced to 13,000 feet. I was one of 'em. I didn't know for sure so I looked it up. I don't particularly care about the contents of somebody's colon. I had that procedure done in July and have the photos if you're interested.

I had no idea if I'd broken 13,000 feet. I checked several places I'd been that might have been that high and they were all 12-something. With a little assist from Google, I learned that Breck has the highest lift serviced in North America and Zermatt has the highest lift serviced in Europe. Personally, I don't like skiing at that kind of elevation since I normally live right at sea level. There's no freakin' oxygen. My ears ring. I get headaches. I'm short of breath. I fart like a bast'id.

People can hike you know. The question wasn't the highest elevation that you've ski, but rather the highest elevation that you've been (excluding air travel). I see no reason to doubt that the people here have summited whatever peaks they're claiming to have.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
People can hike you know. The question wasn't the highest elevation that you've ski, but rather the highest elevation that you've been (excluding air travel). I see no reason to doubt that the people here have summited whatever peaks they're claiming to have.
Considering Geoff himself, as someone that skied the area in question, was under the impression that lift serviced was to 13k... I think it is a reasonable doubt to suggest and I don't doubt Geoff's sincerity in his explanation. It seems to me that Geoff is not calling into question people's integrity but rather their understanding of the facts... from personal experience.