• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

JimG.

Staff member
I get that entirely. This is what I'm wondering. That and the 14 hour round-trip drive.

Assuming from the 14 hour round trip you are looking Stowe or north I would not even consider making that long drive for skiing this weekend. I've looked as far north as Tremblant and MSA and they got the same rain and warmth we had here. Most of the natural terrain is closed up there too.

Closer is better if you choose to ski this weekend.

x10003q

There is a winter storm watch in north NJ, but nothing in the Catskills yet. If it snows in the flatlands, the Cats will be overrun. I am thinking a skip for this weekend. The cams are showing ugly. If temps drop as predicted, you will need to break out the Super Tacks on Saturday.

cdskier

I get that entirely. This is what I'm wondering. That and the 14 hour round-trip drive.

At 14 hour round trip I'd definitely be saying no. Only 4 hours round trip if I do Belle and I'm still leaning towards "skip".

Tdizz

My guess is Kennedy, Ike and maybe west side since those trails saw more traffic this week than usual. I was there Tuesday (before the lift died) and everything was frozen solid. Hellgate and Eastside were good because they were in the sun but it was getting really sketchy. I would never go near any mountain on a holiday weekend but if I had to, I'd go Sunday first chair and be half way home by noon.

BenedictGomez

Assuming from the 14 hour round trip you are looking Stowe or north I would not even consider making that long drive for skiing this weekend.

At 14 hour round trip I'd definitely be saying no.

Normally I would bag this weekend given conditions, but next weekend is looking WAY worse than this weekend in terms of conditions, and I cant ski the weekend after that. So I'd be looking at March 10th to return to the slopes. I think pretty much everywhere will be skiing poor this weekend, but I'm hoping Jay Peak perhaps will be less poor than most.

kingslug

I didn't get a Peaks pass this season...Belle season pass/MAX.

With MAX going away I thought I would go back to Peaks but the current lift issues have me spooked.

I guess I will wait to see what the Ikon pass looks like. Or maybe finally step up and get a Killington pass.
Get the k pass.. Its my next go to place on the way up north. I'm done with Hunter..just not worth it anymore. Well, almost..might be some days I just need a quick fix.

Funky_Catskills

I've been enjoying an empty West Side during this chair debacle..
If you take the shuttle or walk over to Way Out - you have the place to yourself... Just sayin...

JimG.

Staff member
Get the k pass.. Its my next go to place on the way up north. I'm done with Hunter..just not worth it anymore. Well, almost..might be some days I just need a quick fix.

K is getting serious consideration; waiting for details on IKON pass.

cdskier

On topic...the Flyer is still down as of this morning's report, but they supposedly have the part in hand and are working to install it as quickly as possible. From the way the report is worded, sounds like they're hoping to get it open at some point today.

JimG.

Staff member
On topic...the Flyer is still down as of this morning's report, but they supposedly have the part in hand and are working to install it as quickly as possible. From the way the report is worded, sounds like they're hoping to get it open at some point today.

Hopefully...Flyer still on hold, F lift showing closed. Looked at webcams, nobody skiing on front side and line for B lift extends back to the Flyer. What a mess!

cdskier

Hopefully...Flyer still on hold, F lift showing closed. Looked at webcams, nobody skiing on front side and line for B lift extends back to the Flyer. What a mess!

Yikes. Brutal timing on these issues too...here was the 11AM update (which is the most recent one on their website):

Update - 11:00 AM: UPDATE ON THE KAATSKILL FLYER AND F-LIFT

The necessary part needed for the Kaatskill Flyer has arrived. As of now, representatives from Poma Lifts are currently on site working with our Lift Operations crew to get the Kaatskill Flyer operational as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, F-lift is now on standby due to a mechanical issue. While our focus right now is to get the Flyer up and running, Lift Operations are also looking into what has caused the issue with F-Lift.

JimG.

Staff member
I didn't ski Belle today was just not into fighting crowds.

My plan is to leave early tomorrow, get up there by 8. Hopefully they get a little natural.

catskillman

F went down agian at about 9:30 and is down indefinitly. the 6 also has no tentative open date.

To add another debacle ----- the D lift did nto open until about 9am this morning. The issue???

A SNOWMOBILE DROVE UP WITH A SAFETY BAR FROM ONE OF THE CHAIRS!!!! The lift operators then proceded to bolt it onto a chair in front of all the quests, and had a bit of difficulty doing so. You an't make this stuff up. What about preventative maintenance ?? and did they check all the other chairs yet?????

What a mess...........

danimals

This makes me want to see if Amex will issue chargeback for my pass. I mean, it’s not a usable product.

I’m kidding of course, but I guess next year I’ll get a pass somewhere closer, that has two backup lifts to service a majority of their vertical.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone