• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River closes

MadMadWorld

My point was you can't operate a ski area when you can only realistically get a handful of good days out of it a year. People want consistency more than they want anything else. MRG gets by because at this point its unique, and offers an experience you can't get elsewhere on the East Coast, but what happens when getting that experience becomes increasingly difficult? People will increasingly default to planning visits to other mountains until their position is untenable.

But I also said they would have to change, and they very well may continue to find means to keep the mountain open. Even if that means installing snowmaking or making other upgrades. It would be foolish to assume something will remain the same forever.

I think some people misconstrued that to mean they could continue to get by on charm, but honestly I don't think that is viable long-term. However, I don't think changing MRG means it has to sacrifice what makes it unique either. That's really its selling point, so a balance of will be found, and I'm confident it will be.

Plus, its on the National Register of Historic Places.

Have you skied their much? It's a lot more than charm that keeps it afloat. It has arguably the most challenging lift accessible sidecountry (definitely the hardest within the ski area boundary). Most years the snowfall is great and because of the contours it holds the snow really well. Not much has changed since they opened in the 40s and a down year isn't going to make much of a difference because people will always come back (I will). And this is why:

http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Up-And-Comers-Shred-Vermont39s-Mad-River-Glen-6561182.htm

skiadikt

wow ... did i say wow. some of the sickest skiing i've seen and they're doing it within earshot of the lift. thanks mad, mad.

MadMadWorld

wow ... did i say wow. some of the sickest skiing i've seen and they're doing it within earshot of the lift. thanks mad, mad.

Yup. Easily accessible and drops you right back into the resort. It's no coincidence the Ayers brothers grew up skiing here.

Savemeasammy

Have you skied their much? It's a lot more than charm that keeps it afloat. It has arguably the most challenging lift accessible sidecountry (definitely the hardest within the ski area boundary). Most years the snowfall is great and because of the contours it holds the snow really well. Not much has changed since they opened in the 40s and a down year isn't going to make much of a difference because people will always come back (I will). And this is why:

http://www.tetongravity.com/blogs/Up-And-Comers-Shred-Vermont39s-Mad-River-Glen-6561182.htm

Awesome. Come on, Mother Nature... Help us out!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Only times I've been to MRG it's been incredible conditions. Makes me sad to see their mostly bare trails in January.

I've also said that mountain needs #1 snowmaking fan guns and #2 replace the single chair with a double to cut lines in half on powder days.

I appreciate rustic skiing more than most, but they are hanging onto some things at MRG which are in dire need of improvement.

I realize their core base of skiers and shareholders probably disagree with me and these things are unlikely to change any time soon.

The single was just rebuilt. They won't replace it....

pcampbell

On tuesday, I think I was the only person there--maybe 1 other person...... the whole day!!!

I skinned up the double, then took a run on the practice slope which was fun but obviously gets old quickly. I figure skiing here will make me a better skier. Aside from that I like the low key atmosphere, price ($250 mid week pass) and that I don't get yelled at for skinning anytime the mountain isn't open.

What I would like to see is a little more snow making to open a few more trails on marginal days. I think there is a water supply limit though. I know it's been very cold lately (good for snow making) but I haven't seen them doing any snow making...

Also.. I agree on really great days(say, a mid week powder day), the lines are a problem. And on great days, there is really not a lot of traffic on the hill so we could get away with delivering more people to the top per hour without screwing up the quality of the skiing... but it would have to be dialed down on a less than perfect day and I can imagine them being attacked for not running a lift at full throttle all the time :)

1 thing to add... I think Mad River Glen will be around in some capacity as long as there is enough snow to ski on.

Last edited:

Angus

What I would like to see is a little more snow making to open a few more trails on marginal days. I think there is a water supply limit though. I know it's been very cold lately (good for snow making) but I haven't seen them doing any snow making...

hasn't this been discussed by the coop and rejected recently?

Last edited:

kcyanks1

No idea whether it has been discussed, but I believe the bylaws limit snow making to occurring below a certain elevation.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I always thought that having Quacky > Porcupine would make sense to have reliable snowmaking on. Just one decent shot off the Double to tide people over during dry spells.

Angus

This thread could go on and on but snowmaking wouldn't work just about anywhere on the mountain given the narrowness of the trails...it would kill the trees. The narrow, winding trail network is part of the reason people ski there, plus another big reason for snow preservation.

pcampbell

you're right, it has been discussed here. the conclusion was the water limiter before anything else but that there are certainly other factors.

https://www.madriverglen.com/skiforums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=340&p=964#p964

I just asked why they are not blowing. I would think if water was the limiter, and water were available they would at least use whatever was available.

i think there is something to be said about preserving the snow.

Last edited:

pcampbell

Mad River back open

hearty souls out there in the negatives :)

12088347356_1c78eeb1eb_c.jpg

pcampbell

I will say that catamount bowl got skied off pretty quick after that pic once they opened. Now it is filled back in (for now) after yesterday/last night's snow. However... even when skied off it was still decent - easy to turn etc. even with pretty lousy edges. I.e. it was not very icy.

Lousy pic here from this morning going down Lower Antelope which was super sweet. It has been closed ,so there is plenty of powder there (I skied it when they were closed, not during hours). Really fun.

12152727826_d838071418_z.jpg