• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire list of 2012/13 Capital Improvements

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-...ements-underway-at-new-hampshire-ski-resorts/

Lots of good stuff going on, courtesy of Ski NH

Cranmore Mountain Resort, North Conway -Over the summer Cranmore is replacing its historic East Double Chair with a triple chairlift. The lift will increase uphill capacity and add 300 feet of vertical drop to the resort’s southern slopes. The lift will also provide access to the summit of the mountain. Sixty new snow guns have been added to the resort’s arsenal, bringing the total of high-efficiency snow guns to 300. The Soaring Eagle Zipline installed this summer will operate all winter, joining the snowtubing park, mountain coaster and giant swing as alternative activities for winter guests.

Bretton Woods, Bretton Woods – This winter skiers and riders will find the addition of lift service to the Mount Stickney area of the resort. Bretton Woods recently added thirty acres of glades to the area that will now be serviced by a 2,000 foot Doppelmayr T-bar lift. The glades are also being expanded to include some steep drop-offs for adventurous experts as well as more wide-open glades for less-experienced skiers and riders. At the top of the lift a new 600-square-foot log cabin is being constructed. The cabin will feature an exterior stone fireplace as well as a porch for enjoying the sun on warmer days. Inside, a wood stove will warm skiers between runs. In the base lodge guests will be able to select custom clothing, gear and accessories electronically at the new Bogner virtual clothing store, which will then be mailed to their home address. The recently constructed Canopy Tour, Williwaw Racing Zip and indoor climbing wall will also be available to guests this winter.

Black Mountain, Jackson – More than $500,000 is being invested over the summer in snowmaking improvements including two new Ingersoll Rand Centac electric air compressors which will more than double the overall snowmaking capacity while reducing the area’s carbon footprint. Thirty-five low energy high-efficiency tower snow guns have been added to the primary race trail, Jackson Standard, as well as the Big Dipper, Maple Slalom and Black Beauty trails. A new beginners’ area is being completed with all-new snowmaking lines, hydrants and low energy, high-efficiency tower guns. Additionally, the new learning area will have a new dedicated surface lift. Improvements to the base lodge include an expanded ski school and ticketing area, a new day care and nursery area, fully renovated dining room areas, and expansion to Lostbo Pub, more than doubling its size. An all-new ticketing system will provide guests with a quick and efficient ticketing experience.

Ragged Mountain, Danbury – Over $1 million is being spent to upgrade Ragged’s snowmaking system. Among the upgrades are 100 new low energy, high-efficiency tower snow guns. Half of those guns will be part of an automated snowmaking system on Exhibition. This allows snowmakers to take advantage of shorter windows of snowmaking temperatures. There will also be five new fan guns on the mountain. The additional guns will benefit from a new pump that will increase the system’s capability by 25%.

Pats Peak, Henniker – Crews are completely renovating the arrival area; this winter, guests will be greeted by a warming area, brick walkway, stone walls, granite steps, and clock tower. On the hill a new Air Bag will allow skiers and riders in the F5 Terrain Park to learn new tricks while landing on the soft, inflated bag. A new novice trail is being added to the “backside” of the mountain eventually feeding skiers and riders onto the Breeze trail. This trail is the first step in a long-term expansion plan for the backside of the mountain. The first Women’s Burton Learn to Ride Center in New Hampshire will be located at Pats Peak with specialized rental equipment and women-specific teaching and learning programs. The snowmaking system is being enhanced with the addition of six new Snow Machine and HKD Turbo fan guns that are capable of producing snow at warmer temperatures and doing so in a more energy-efficient manner. The rental shop will offer an additional 100 pairs of new Dalbello boots, 300 pairs of new Elan skis, and 125 new Burton snowboards, bindings and boots. Base lodge improvements include a new backup generator, new carpet in the Valley Lodge and main entrance, and fresh paint for the exterior.

Waterville Valley, Waterville Valley – Younger skiers and riders will enjoy the new Adventure Trail, located off Valley Run featuring multiple routes through the woods with stops for bear caves, snow whales, a ski-thru sugar shack, hidden animal figures and more. A new learning park has been added on the Revelation trail offering special “kid-sized” features for developing skills. Snowmaking has been added to a cross country ski loop in Town Square to ensure XC skiing terrain is available.

Cannon Mountain, Franconia Notch – Cannon is spending a half-million dollars on snowmaking improvements this summer. Among the additions are dedicated snowmaking on Paulie’s Folly trail. New air and water lines are being installed on Upper Cannon and fan gun power pedestals are being added on Lower Cannon. A new twenty-foot automated, portable tower fan gun, one of the first of its kind in North America, is being added as well. Several trail enhancements are underway including removal of a tree island on the Tossup trail allowing for more snowmaking and a bigger terrain park. A new Prinoth Bison X terrain park groomer has been purchased to shape and smooth out all the snow.

Granite Gorge, Keene – Improvements continue at Granite Gorge. This winter guests can enjoy a new lodge with a Great Room and the Bus Stop Grill. The Lookout Lounge features a full bar and grill. On the exterior new mahogany decks are in place. The terrain park is now top-to-bottom on the Monadnock Trail with snowmaking and lighting. The well-known Granite Gorge Bag Jump is being replaced by a bigger and better version. Those looking for a non-skiing activity can enjoy the new Cosmic Tubing Park.

Mount Sunapee, Newbury – Mount Sunapee has purchased another 14 HKD high-efficiency snow guns, bringing the total of guns purchased over the past five years to 72. These guns make up to twice as much snow while using 75% less compressed air. There will be a new Airbag that will be open to the public in the terrain park, allowing skiers and riders to get practice jumping or learning new tricks. Newly-added year-round attractions that winter guests can enjoy include the Canopy Zip-Line Tour, a 2 1/2 hour guided tour with eight zip lines, three rappels and a rope bridge.

Gunstock Mountain Resort, Gilford – Over the summer upgrades have been made to the snowmaking system including replacing pipes and other improvements that will allow for more efficient operations. Ticketing and transaction systems are being updated to improve the customer interaction experience. The recently constructed ZipTour will be available to guests throughout the winter offering eight different zip-lines including the longest zip-lines in the continental United States.

Dartmouth Skiway, Lyme Center -Over the summer a new Pisten Bully Winch Snowcat was added to the grooming fleet. Other improvements include new snowmaking on the Post-Doc trail along with a new snowmaking compressor. A new haul rope is being installed on the Holt’s Ledge double chair, new Volkl skis are being added to the rental fleet, and all-new trail signage and redesignated trail ratings are being completed.

McIntyre Ski Area, Manchester – McIntyre will be adding an all-new terrain park for this winter.

Windblown XC, New Ipswich – Over the summer Windblown’s logging operation added another thirty acres of glade skiing through selective cutting.

Last edited:

Puck it

Hopefully, Upper Cannon will be open before Xmas this year. It will be nice to have a base on Pauly's then let it go natural.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I did not know about the Cranmore lift. No surprise since that is an old lift.

Dartmouth adding a Winch Cat: that means that my alma mater will be getting one next year I bet.

Seeing lots of snowmaking work. No surprise.

xwhaler

Keep in mind this is a partial list as well. With Peaks pulling out of Ski NH we aren;t getting the news of Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched (new HSQ install)

I do want to try the Skiway finally this season. I didnt realize that the Cranmore chair was also adding 300' of vertical. They must have the base going in below the old double and ending at the summitt. Wonder how crowded that summit will get with now 3 lifts dumping out in the same spot?

SIKSKIER

Wow,snowmaking on Paulys really caught my eye.Great trail that only gets snow made from hard work pulling hoses through the woods.New pipe on Upper Cannon is really a repair.The line froze last year and dozens of leaks were found.I don't know what tree island they are talking about on Tossup.The only island there is the one that separates Tossup and Lower Cannon.

Puck it

Wow,snowmaking on Paulys really caught my eye.Great trail that only gets snow made from hard work pulling hoses through the woods.New pipe on Upper Cannon is really a repair.The line froze last year and dozens of leaks were found.I don't know what tree island they are talking about on Tossup.The only island there is the one that separates Tossup and Lower Cannon.

They were trying to repair it during Xmas but I heard it was futile. I would what type of guns are going on Paulie's. It would be nice to have some tower guns on it. That is the only island that I can think of too

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The only island there is the one that separates Tossup and Lower Cannon.
Uh oh, another massive widening at Cannon? Hate to say it, but I can't see what else they are talking about. Hopefully the Paulie's snow making will just be to blow it out and then let it go natural. It is the only all natural of the Front Five currently. If that turns into a 3/4 groom like Zoomer and Avi, then we'll be reduced by yet another all natural trail. Ick. Nice to see new snowmaking on Upper Cannon after last year. Middle Cannon improvements should help Cannon make a better product and get that base down quicker off the main route, all good stuff.

I knew about the new lift at Cranmore but I didn't know they were going to the summit. That is a good option. It won't increase the amount of people being dumped out at the top too much as that lift is and will probably continue to be under utilized. It doesn't service much vert currently. Maybe with the extension and a faster motor and more comfortable chair it will see more use. Good riddens to that chair. I like classic chairs but that thing is long past done.

Black Mountain is investing quite a bit in new snow making, wow! Glad to see they either have the money or can get that type of loan. Good on them. The million at Ragged really blows my mind, too. They don't have the EB5 yet so I wasn't expecting it.

Puck it

Uh oh, another massive widening at Cannon? Hate to say it, but I can't see what else they are talking about. Hopefully the Paulie's snow making will just be to blow it out and then let it go natural. It is the only all natural of the Front Five currently. If that turns into a 3/4 groom like Zoomer and Avi, then we'll be reduced by yet another all natural trail. Ick. Nice to see new snowmaking on Upper Cannon after last year. Middle Cannon improvements should help Cannon make a better product and get that base down quicker off the main route, all good stuff.

They have been blowing on Paulie's the last few years. Now hopefully it will get better coverage for the bumps to form and extend it in to the spring. I hope they don't groom the crap out of it too. BTW the fan gun bases are on Lower Cannon.

kickstand

This just in from Attitash:

- new free learning area over at Bear Peak called Blueberry Boulevard. It will have a handle tow. I saw this area mostly cleared out when I was at the Blueberry Festival and wondered what it was all about. Now we know, but I wonder what this means for the free tickets for the magic carpet....

- this learning area is part of a new joint learning initiative between Attitash and Wildcat. I'm sure more details will follow.

- relocating the magic carpet on the Attitash side

- Thad's Choice terrain park will be moving to Lower Mythmaker and Kachina on the Bear Peak side. Can be accessed from the Abenaki mid-station.

- $500k in snowmaking improvements/hardware for both Attitash and Wildcat. 101 new tower guns, with Attitash getting 40.

AdironRider

To be honest, I dont give a shit about snowmaking dollars spent.

90% of it is what I would consider maintaining the system. I dont get all riled up by maintenance. Saying they are new and energy efficient (oxymoron if you are talking about snowmaking) is just marketing talk for we replaced a bunch of old rusty shit.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Saying they are new and energy efficient (oxymoron if you are talking about snowmaking) is just marketing talk for we replaced a bunch of old rusty shit.

Which can save them money and either allow them to make more snow with the same budget, or reallocate those dollars elsewhere. Either way, it's an improvement.

AdironRider

Which can save them money and either allow them to make more snow with the same budget, or reallocate those dollars elsewhere. Either way, it's an improvement.

No its not. Its called maintenance. Any gains from "efficiency" are lost by increasing energy costs. AKA they are maintaining the status quo, even that is a stretch if you ask me.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
No its not. Its called maintenance. Any gains from "efficiency" are lost by increasing energy costs. AKA they are maintaining the status quo, even that is a stretch if you ask me.

Ok, Negative Nancy. If you're going to go that route, then it's an improvement over higher energy costs, which would be passed down to the consumer. Either way, it's an improvement.

AdironRider

Ok, Negative Nancy. If you're going to go that route, then it's an improvement over higher energy costs, which would be passed down to the consumer. Either way, it's an improvement.

Call it negative if you want, I call it being an accountant in the ski industry. The marketing speak has struck you as truth.

When was the last time you saw the price of skiing go down? I also didnt say its all for naught, but the overwhelming majority is not going to see an improvement to the bottom line or to the out of pocket costs for the skier.

Adding snowmaking to a trail that has never had it before = improvement. Replacing guns/pipe = not improvement.

Killington has spent millions "upgrading" their snowmaking systems since Pres Smith was around, are you seeing over 200% or whatever their marketing department has proclaimed as efficiency improvements, more snow being blown?

Labor costs have increased, the cost of transmitting the electricity has increased, benefits costs have increased, fuel prices have increased, insurance prices have increased.

Without this "efficiency" most ski areas would be bankrupt and closed for good. If you consider just keeping the doors open an improvement then so be it, but thats what you are arguing.