• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Hampshire list of 2012/13 Capital Improvements

Puck it

Wasn't making a dig at Mt. Snow. I do recognize they got screwed worse than anyone last November. Hell, even Stratton 10 miles by the crow North had more favorable snowmaking temps. Maybe Peaks reason for opting for the low E tower guns at Attitash and Wildcat instead of the fan guns they are famous for is they didn't want to run electricity up the trails. My understanding though is that the low E tower guns are as good of a snowgun as there is on the market for making snow in warmer temperatures.

The other thing is fan guns do not like a lot of wind. Both have a lot of wind for them. One of the drawbacks about the multitude all ready at Attitash.

tcharron

Surprised none of the small hill guys haven't mentioned Crotched Mountain getting a high speed quad. :p

Love the name. "The Crotched Rocket"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Surprised none of the small hill guys haven't mentioned Crotched Mountain getting a high speed quad. :p

Love the name. "The Crotched Rocket"

Crotched is no longer a member of SkiNH so that is why it is not in the article.

SIKSKIER

I don't know what tree island they are talking about on Tossup.The only island there is the one that separates Tossup and Lower Cannon.

Well,apparently the island between Lower Cannon and Toss-up is a thing of the past.Uhg!

Cannon Friends - Here's a blog I found that may interest you:

August 19, 2012

I had not made this particular hike for several years. Rumors of changes at Cannon inspired me to take a new look. The trails look a lot different without snow. It is interesting to see just what is under all that snow and just where the problem areas are. After reaching the summit I started down keeping to the work road or 4-wheel path whenever possible. No bear or scat sightings all the way down. Uneven footing and difficult hiking on the work road.

As I started down looking for Toss-Up, I could not find it. The Ski School Trail (aka Time Zone) was on the far right and Parkway was still there on the far left behind a tree line but where was Toss Up? The Eagle Cliff chair (replacement for red White and Blue or Hong Kong chair) was there to remind me of where Toss-Up and the Terrain Park should be.

The tree island from just below where the Terrain Park fencing started all the way down to where the cut right back on to Toss-Up (the one that is usually close) and the cut back over past Gremlin to the lodges is now GONE. It has been completely removed. All trees, stumps and rocks are gone. It has been hayed over and you would never know that it had been there. The lower tree island is still there.

With Lower Cannon and Toss-Up combined, does this mean that the trail count is now minus one? A large amount of terrain has been gained. It is probably in an area where the trees didn’t affect the wind or save snow. The problem will be in the decision as to how to use this new terrain. Even if it is split between the Terrain Park and the skier/riders on Lower Cannon, a long fence will be needed. If most of it is given to the Terrain Park, it will funnel the users of Lower Cannon on to the cut over by Gremlin and the lodges.

As a skier that always enjoyed ending the day on Toss-up or the Ski School Slope, I have never enjoyed the Terrain Park or Time Zone race course. I have accepted that they serve a purpose and are keeping out young families on the mountain.

Now we will have to wait a few more months to see how this new terrain will be used. Will the trail be called Cannon-Toss or Up-Cannon? Will the trail count be reduced by one?

The Anonymous Skier.

Puck it

I am assuming it is the upper tree island in the circle.

treeislands.JPG

skiberg

I am not sure why they did this. The only thing i can think of is that the terrain park will no be to the right of Eagle Cliff and continue down into what used to be Lower Cannon and all skiers will now be skiing down tossup unless they use the terrain park. This may create a bit more natural flow to lower cannon as not many people skied Tossup, they cut back to the quad above the tree island. That section of the trail ended up bumping up quite regularly last year. If they do this it will be a nice long continuous green and they can probably keep it a more consistent surface for beginners. i still dont like removing tree islands as they add so much character to a mountain.

SIKSKIER

I think your probably right Puck.I would guess there going to put up a stupid fence to separate Lower and the Toss-up terrain park.There was a long fence that ended at that island to keep skiers from skiing into the park without starting at the top of it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
:(

Great. Another super wide massive trail at Cannon. It is really only still considered an old school mountain for a small hand full of trails and the atmosphere and vibe. It seems every other year something else gets widened. Good luck retaining snow on that wide slice of terrain. But it is for the terrain park, so I guess it is already lost real estate. I never thought Cannon's existing park was very well utilized. Let's face it: if someone is coming up 93 and wants a park, they are going to Loon or Waterville.

snoseek

Let them do what they will with lower peabody.

Besides this is only lost terrain if you don't ride park.

MadPadraic

:(

Great. Another super wide massive trail at Cannon. It is really only still considered an old school mountain for a small hand full of trails and the atmosphere and vibe. It seems every other year something else gets widened. Good luck retaining snow on that wide slice of terrain. But it is for the terrain park, so I guess it is already lost real estate. I never thought Cannon's existing park was very well utilized. Let's face it: if someone is coming up 93 and wants a park, they are going to Loon or Waterville.

Pretty accurate statements all around. I always really enjoyed my end of day cruises from the front 5 to the lodge. Now they took the trees. Total poop.

AdironRider

BOOOOO. Terrible to cut any trails at Cannon. Please stop doing that.

This is mellow terrain, next to a terrain park, right above the base lodge. This is nowhere near a big deal. Get over it.

This will have zero effect on how the mountain skis.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Perhaps the goal is to vastly improve their park offerings in a spot that's highly visible from the Base in order to steal some of Waterville and Loon's business in that market segment. Terrain preferences of kid's these days are often the driving factor of where families ski. Kid's want really good parks. If a massive park improvement can siphon off business from other areas, increase Cannon's overall revenue and ability to invest in areas of need such as their much ballyhooed antiquated snowmaking system; this all could end up being a net positive for ALL Cannon skiers, not just the park riders, no?

AdironRider

Perhaps the goal is to vastly improve their park offerings in a spot that's highly visible from the Base in order to steal some of Waterville and Loon's business in that market segment. Terrain preferences of kid's these days are often the driving factor of where families ski. Kid's want really good parks. If a massive park improvement can siphon off business from other areas, increase Cannon's overall revenue and ability to invest in areas of need such as their much ballyhooed antiquated snowmaking system; this all could end up being a net positive for ALL Cannon skiers, not just the park riders, no?

I completely agree with this, especially given that Cannon's direct competitive set (Waterville and Loon) have two of the best park setups in the East. They own that business.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Oh man, I loved the East Base Double at Cranmore! Mostly because of its age and rickity-ness! But, with access to the summit and an added 300' of vertical it's a smart move.

Cannon...... I still love you, but.....