• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

also, outdoor dining is lovely in general. parts of nyc feel almost like piazzas in italy. i have only indulged ~3 times all year, but its apparently here to stay, and that's a pretty nice new thing. some of the outdoor set ups are super legit. others look like shantytowns. i hope the city eventually puts some parameters in place so its not a bunch of plywood. but in general i dig the concept.
I agree 1000%! I totally dig outdoor dining!

In fact, I dig car-free streets where people eat outside. We should have had that in NYC long ago. It took a pandemic to see it coming. Hope this is one change that becomes permanent! :)

he Brooklyn I live in (CT, not NY ;) ) we're back to probably 85-90% of "normal" now,
It's similar in NYC in the restaurant businesses, at least in the residential neighborhood. Probably still down in the financial district though.

(Also with Broadway (and many of the musical venues) still dark, it's nowhere nearly "back to normal". )

But a friend who's an economist (not an internet one, this one from a major Bank) pointed out. The 15-24% business who didn't re-open are probably the more financially shaky ones. So their demise open up rooms for new entrance of new ideas. Of the existing businesses, those on solid footings will come back stronger. Commercial rents are dropping, which should help both existing and new businesses too. (Like my friend the physical therapist who took advantage of the lower rent to open up her new office in Midtown)

Last edited:

kingslug

I do hope NYC gets back to at least 75% of normal. I think if I didn't work here I would visit it more. Our ski club has monthly happy hours here..which will start up soon I hope.

deadheadskier

Staff member
in my experience boston downtown gets very quiet at night. the financial district of nyc does too i guess. but nyc really does 'never sleep', and it slept last spring. and it was weird. silence and ambulance sirens.

Boston goes to bed by 1. Bars are open until 2, but so much of the public transit shuts down at 1, that the later last call doesn't matter. At one point they had talked about keeping the T open until 3 to make Boston more attractive and like international cities that keep the lights on later, but ultimately the city is just too small and wouldn't have the riders needed to go later. Also plenty of lame folks scoffed at the idea of more late night noise.

dblskifanatic

I'm not sure I could be a city dweller permanently, but I do like visiting for several days. I also like to rent apartments in neighborhoods as you get a better feel for the city that way. Best trip I ever did was for the Ween shows in April 2016. I think we did 5 days in the city and walked almost everywhere.

Having spent time in Dallas and NYC Dallas is super lame compared to NYC The downtown didn't seem vibrant at all. Yes there were some parts that were happening, but by and large it seemed sterile. Austin is where its at in Texas, I have also heard good things about San Antonio but haven't been there as an adult.

I am on the same page! Visiting is ok but living there would not work. I prefer nature - mountains, oceans, forests, vistas. We moved from Colorado to Boston Metro. My wife likes walking around Boston where the idea came from. Living here now and we find that we miss Colorado and will go back. Our dogs are freaked out by city sounds like all traffic noise, sirens, trains etc. They are also freaked out by all the people. And that was just walking by the Charles River.

My activities do not lend themselves to city living either. I mean they can all be done by traveling outside of the city but we want to be closer to where we play.

We used to go into NYC as tourists but we always stuck to the touristy areas. There is probably more to NYC than meets the eye for most. We find Boston to be a better walking city.

abc

We find Boston to be a better walking city.
If by that you mean you don't have to push people away to get through, you're quite right! ;)

(I worked AT Time Square for a year. I was shocked by the crowd level, day and night Had to actually push people to get out EVERYDAY. Even though I've lived in Midtown for a couple decade, that was unreal)

jt10000

I have problems comprehending why booting up at the car is an issue
Because the ground is dirty. Because it's colder. Because I don't like walking far in ski boots.

I understand these may not be problems for you, but I find it hard to comprehend that you don't understand that some other people feel that way.

After booting up in our car all season, on our last day skiing we tried the "boot up tent" at one place - this was a heated tent with benches and shelves to store stuff. So much better for us - faster and more comfortable than booting up at the car. Even the heat was perfect - about 45F while it was 25F outside and 60 or 65F in the lodge. No wind like doing it at the car.

I hope that continues post-covid, even if booting up in the lodge is allowed.

Last edited:

jt10000

It's not a restaurant, it's a ski lodge. And for the record, in 22 years of skiing including being at places like Wachusett, Okemo, Mt Snow, etc on holidays, I have never once had to stand to eat food so cut the bullshit.

The sense of entitlement and selfishness in this thread is fucking mind boggling.

I had to sit on the floor with my son to eat during a busy weekend at a ski resort in Pennsylvania. The lodge was packed including with non skiers. We did not see any clear two seats near each other. Eventually some people got up and we took their spots. If it had been just me I would have eaten at a different time, but he was six years old and hungry.

jt10000

BS. Skiing is still a high impact sport for knees and other joints. If a walk across a parking lot is too much for someone they should probably think about less impactful activities, or I would at least.
High impact? Not on easy groomed runs with good technique and soft skis. It can be less than walking in ski boots.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

High impact? Not on easy groomed runs with good technique and soft skis. It can be less than walking in ski boots.
If you have good technique you drive your skis by bending your knees, weighting, unweighting etc. it’s pretty high impact on your joints. Sure, what you describe isn’t as high impact as smashing bumps and hucking cliffs but don’t kid yourself, the repetitive motions it takes to bend a ski and make it turn the way it’s designed to isn’t easy on the old carcass either.

if someone can’t handle walking a few hundred feet in their ski boots it’s probably time to hang em up. Do some gardening or something else.

raisingarizona

Because the ground is dirty. Because it's colder. Because I don't like walking far in ski boots.

I understand these may not be problems for you, but I find it hard to comprehend that you don't understand that some other people feel that way.

After booting up in our car all season, on our last day skiing we tried the "boot up tent" at one place - this was a heated tent with benches and shelves to store stuff. So much better for us - faster and more comfortable than booting up at the car. Even the heat was perfect - about 45F while it was 25F outside and 60 or 65F in the lodge. No wind like doing it at the car.

I hope that continues post-covid, even if booting up in the lodge is allowed.
It takes like a minute to put my boots on standing next to my car. That’s hard for you? Like........why? How? Are your hands broken? I’m seriously confused by all of this.

Its colder? The ground is dirty? Your palms must be as soft as a kitten.

Last edited:

jt10000

If you have good technique you drive your skis by bending your knees, weighting, unweighting etc. it’s pretty high impact on your joints. Sure, what you describe isn’t as high impact as smashing bumps and hucking cliffs but don’t kid yourself, the repetitive motions it takes to bend a ski and make it turn the way it’s designed to isn’t easy on the old carcass either.
You don't have to "drive" or even bend much (and bending isn't the same as impact BTW), especially if the ski is soft. You can just shift your weight in a chill way if you want, especially on soft skis. Which is different than the *impact* of walking with boots on the ground.

But keep digging - kiing is only the way you do it. Tell everyone they really have to drive that ski - that's the only way to be on the hill. Otherwise they shouldn't be skiing. You know it all. Thanks. You're a smart guy. Thanks.
It takes like a minute to put my boots on standing next to my car. That’s hard for you? Like........why? How? Are your hands broken? I’m seriously confused by all of this.

Its colder? The ground is dirty? Your palms must be as soft as a kitten.
You really can't *understand* why some people prefer to change in the lodge.

I mean, there are plenty of things I don't like myself but at least I can understand why other people do them. To each his own.

But other people having different preferences *confuses* you? Wow: that's quite an admission of lack of ability to think beyond your own simple ideas. Wow.

kingslug

Just another reason I have AT boots..you can walk for miles in them. Some parking lots do turn into mud pits and that sux a bit..a small astro turf mat would help that.
I havent minded booting up in the car at all this year..Certainly less crowded in my truck than the lodge.

raisingarizona

You don't have to "drive" or even bend much (and bending isn't the same as impact BTW), especially if the ski is soft. You can just shift your weight in a chill way if you want, especially on soft skis. Which is different than the *impact* of walking with boots on the ground.

But keep digging - kiing is only the way you do it. Tell everyone they really have to drive that ski - that's the only way to be on the hill. Otherwise they shouldn't be skiing. You know it all. Thanks. You're a smart guy. Thanks.
You really can't *understand* why some people prefer to change in the lodge.

I mean, there are plenty of things I don't like myself but at least I can understand why other people do them. To each his own.

But other people having different preferences *confuses* you? Wow: that's quite an admission of lack of ability to think beyond your own simple ideas. Wow.
Hey, you can cheat your turns all day or sideslip the whole run if that’s your thing but don’t kid yourself, that’s not good technique and you aren’t using the ski the way it was designed to be.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Just another reason I have AT boots..you can walk for miles in them. Some parking lots do turn into mud pits and that sux a bit..a small astro turf mat would help that.
I havent minded booting up in the car at all this year..Certainly less crowded in my truck than the lodge.
Even a lot of regular alpine boots have walk mode.

Hawk

A long time ago I stopped evaluating what people thought or did for norms while skiing. Based on your experiences, your perfect day or how you operate your day can be so different then mine. I have on many occasions, shook my head when people told me what they thought was "Awesome". Things that I would never do or would assume was something on one did. But for some people that is the way you do it. It all comes down to the evolution of what you and your group or family have come to realize as your norm. It's not my job to harsh your stoke. I just may not join you and I will see you on the lift. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.