• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbroderick

Hey, you can cheat your turns all day or sideslip the whole run if that’s your thing but don’t kid yourself, that’s not good technique and you aren’t using the ski the way it was designed to be.
The better you are, the less aggressive movement you need to get the ski to bend. One of the coaches I work with has multiple replacement joints (I forget whether it's two knees and one hip, two hips and one knee, or whether it was three hip surgeries and two knees because one of the hips didn't work right the first time...but let's just say he doesn't have a lot of original parts left); he moves very, very little relative to his skis, but he can still arc 'em. His skiing seems static, but in reality, it's just very, very precisely balanced.

In general, he can ski groomers quite a bit without being too beat up at the end of the day; however, getting into trees or bumps is a different story. His technique is simply refined enough that he can be very, very efficient most of the time.

And FWIW, while he can walk in ski boots, he's not a big fan of doing so.

Domeskier

If you're getting down the hill and still having fun, what does it matter if you're using your skis as intended? Someone with a bum knee obviously isn't aspiring to be the best skier on the mountain. If they've found a low stress, low impact way to enjoy recreational skiing, good for them.

raisingarizona

If you're getting down the hill and still having fun, what does it matter if you're using your skis as intended? Someone with a bum knee obviously isn't aspiring to be the best skier on the mountain. If they've found a low stress, low impact way to enjoy recreational skiing, good for them.
I don’t think anyone said that there’s anything wrong with intermediate level recreational skiing. Those folks keep the lights on but if we are going to talk about good technique and the long term affects that skiing has on our bodies as mentioned the conversation takes a turn.

ThatGuy

I don’t think anyone said that there’s anything wrong with intermediate level recreational skiing. Those folks keep the lights on but if we are going to talk about good technique and the long term affects that skiing has on our bodies as mentioned the conversation takes a turn.
And to further that point, even if you’ve found some low impact way to get down the hill all it takes is a patch of ice or unnoticed bump and those knees are toast. I think people are saying if your knees are in such bad of shape that its painful to walk to a ski lift maybe the act of skiing isn’t very sustainable either.

raisingarizona

And to further that point, even if you’ve found some low impact way to get down the hill all it takes is a patch of ice or unnoticed bump and those knees are toast. I think people are saying if your knees are in such bad of shape that its painful to walk to a ski lift maybe the act of skiing isn’t very sustainable either.
That was what I was getting aat with my original post which turned into a few melt downs from the more sensitive folks.

dblskifanatic

Booting up in the parking lot has been a hot topic all over the place for the Northeast. Our west, it seems like most people boot up in the parking lot. Having lived there for 5 years, we even got into the habit. We used to carry transpacks with all out stuff and change in the lodge. But it was always a hassle with where to put bags. During our first season in CO we switched and we found that is was easier for us. I know it is not for everyone. But We liked the idea of going from the car to the lift and vise versa.

When you consider how much time is spent in your boots and walking around in them when stopping for lunch or taking a break, the time and distance related to the parking lot is minimal. As far as mud is concerned, I get that! Some people are pretty particular about cleanliness. We have dogs and cleaning up is part of the deal so mud has never been a concern either.

When we had visitors out west they always complained about booting up at the car. And we thought it was funny how people complained about booting up at the care but would be particular about other covid rules.

Heck I remember the final days of skiing at Killington where to walked on and off the lift and trekked through mud to get you run in.

Domeskier

All we know about this guy is that walking in ski boots causes his knees to hurt but skiing doesn't. Anyone can hit a patch of ice, catch an edge or fall the wrong way and destroy a knee. That's an inherent risk of the sport. Maybe his risk of sustaining a knee injury is higher then average, maybe not. That's something for him and his doctor to decide, not armchair orthopedists on an anonymous internet message board.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Booting up in the parking lot has been a hot topic all over the place for the Northeast. Our west, it seems like most people boot up in the parking lot. Having lived there for 5 years, we even got into the habit. We used to carry transpacks with all out stuff and change in the lodge. But it was always a hassle with where to put bags. During our first season in CO we switched and we found that is was easier for us. I know it is not for everyone. But We liked the idea of going from the car to the lift and vise versa.

When you consider how much time is spent in your boots and walking around in them when stopping for lunch or taking a break, the time and distance related to the parking lot is minimal. As far as mud is concerned, I get that! Some people are pretty particular about cleanliness. We have dogs and cleaning up is part of the deal so mud has never been a concern either.

When we had visitors out west they always complained about booting up at the car. And we thought it was funny how people complained about booting up at the care but would be particular about other covid rules.

Heck I remember the final days of skiing at Killington where to walked on and off the lift and trekked through mud to get you run in.

It's been discussed at length in this thread already...but many have pointed out most of your days in CO it's bluebird, minimal wind, and 25-35 degrees at 9am when you're booting up. You will not have many of those days back East before St. Patty's day.

Hawk

I have to say I really have no skin in this booting up at the car deal. I am a long time pass holder at sugarbush and aside from this year, I only boot up at the car for early ups. Basically once there is snow I ski over to the lift from my place. Or I park and walk up, boot up at the lodge so I can have my shoes and change of clothes if necessary in the lodge for Apre ski. That is what makes the spring season so special for me. The end of the day, sitting in the plaza, walking in and out of Castlerock and Rumbles for beers, listening to live music with all of my friends and the regulars. It is what makes that place so special.

jt10000

That was what I was getting aat with my original post which turned into a few melt downs from the more sensitive folks.
It's wild that you feel you can tell other people what they should and shouldn't do or even what they should and shouldn't like, but other people objecting to that are the sensitive ones. It's funny.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

It's wild that you feel you can tell other people what they should and shouldn't do or even what they should and shouldn't like, but other people objecting to that are the sensitive ones. It's funny.
Ha! Nope. I’m not telling you or anyone what to do. I could care less. please don’t be more dramatic than necessary, that’s just annoying.

There’s plenty of lodges that offer lockers and a changing area. That’s great. My gripe is with lodge campers when there’s paying customers that are left without a place to sit and eat their food. Other than that I was simply curious what the heck the big deal is with booting up at the car. I just don’t understand it. I’ll admit, I live 20 minutes from my home hill so I don’t do a full change into my gear. I also live in the sunny south west so the weather is often pretty darn mild but I boot up at my car even when it’s snowing sideways with no issues. I can see it being more of a production with longer drives but I’m still struggling to understand the “sky is falling now that I have to boot up at my car” crowd. I mean, it seems like it would add a whole other big step to getting to the skiing.

Last edited:

jt10000

please don’t be more dramatic than necessary, that’s just annoying.
“sky is falling now that I have to boot up at my car”
few melt downs from the more sensitive folks
I'm dramatic? You put exaggerated words into my mouth ("sky is falling") and say that people pushing back at you are having "meltdowns"? You told some guy he was, in effect, either lying/delusional about his own body or should quit the sport. And you think I'm annoying?

Look in the mirror.

I was simply curious what the heck the big deal is with booting up at the car. I just don’t understand it.
If you were actually curious you'd accept what's been written and recognize that other might people have different preferences than you do. Instead you denied and dismissed clear statements of why some of us prefer the lodge. And I didn't even say "big deal" or anything close (so please, you stop with the drama) - I prefer the lodge, but booted up at my car all but one time this season.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

I'm dramatic? You put exaggerated words into my mouth ("sky is falling") and say that people pushing back at you are having "meltdowns"? You told some guy he was, in effect, either lying/delusional about his own body or should quit the sport. And you think I'm annoying?

Look in the mirror.

If you were actually curious you'd accept what's been written and recognize that other might people have different preferences than you do. Instead you denied and dismissed clear statements of why some of us prefer the lodge. And I didn't even say "big deal" or anything close (so please, you stop with the drama) - I prefer the lodge, but booted up at my car all but one time this season.
Ok. You win. Feel better?

dblskifanatic

I think mask wearing will be continued at ski resorts - oh wait it was a thing before Covid

JimG.

Staff member
Noting the gendered nature of the two insults ("jokes"?) you've thrown in the last day.
Same jt1000 from NYSkiblog.

I remember your reaction to a discussion of transmissions.

Please keep it light so we don't have to lock this thread like over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.