• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellytele

Further to the above, we were told that the federal contractor guidance does not differentiate between remote work and in person work. Think about this for a minute: A fully remote employee, granted an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief, is still subject to masking and testing.
Does OSHA come to your house to check if you are masked? Or do they put cameras in to watch you?

machski

The new OSHA rule came out today for employers with at least 100 employees - which includes almost all ski areas since part time employees are counted in that total.

A couple of highlights:
1) Unvaccinated employees don't just have to test every week - they have to provide their employer with a test result every seven days. If they don't yet have the test result, they can't show up to work.
2) All unvaccinated employees must wear masks.

It will be interesting to see how much pushback we will see from workers who are central to our infrastructure (airlines, truckers, etc.) It will also be interesting to see if this impacts ski areas, since the unvaccinated tend to skew young and blue collar.
Airlines had to comply with the federal contractor mandates ahead of this general OSHA one. They are all federal contractors in one extent or another. United has been the most severe, alreading firing several hundred who refused to vaccinate and putting on leave without pay all those with qualified vax exemptions.

icecoast1

Further to the above, we were told that the federal contractor guidance does not differentiate between remote work and in person work. Think about this for a minute: A fully remote employee, granted an exemption due to a sincerely held religious belief, is still subject to masking and testing.

Talked to a friend that works at Verizon (wireless side) yesterday, they're now forcing their non union employees to get the shot- even the ones that work remote and have 0 interaction with people. But the Union employees which are most of the field workers on the hardline side and actually interact with people and go into peoples houses don't have to get the shot. Makes sense, right?

Smellytele

Talked to a friend that works at Verizon (wireless side) yesterday, they're now forcing their non union employees to get the shot- even the ones that work remote and have 0 interaction with people. But the Union employees which are most of the field workers on the hardline side and actually interact with people and go into peoples houses don't have to get the shot. Makes sense, right?
this may change with Biden plan or they will have to pay 14k a day per unvaccinated employee unless they count them as "remote" workers.

KustyTheKlown

Yup - not sure if Tremblant was mentioned previously but seems to be the same there.

from what i read, which is admittedly not much, it seems all quebec ski areas are vax only by govt mandate, and that others are opting based on govt recommendation, or in the anticipation of mandates

KustyTheKlown

Do you have to be vax’d to get into Canada 🇨🇦?

yes, you also need a test within 72 hours prior to crossing into Canada. no test required to cross back into the USA. this is for land border crossings, not flying. and the whole situation seems to change rapidly. i am planning on driving into BC from eastern WA in feb and am doing it the morning after i arrive so my NYC test will get me over the border and i wont need to worry about finding a test in spokane with same day turnaround. i also know where to get it for free here in nyc.

Smellytele

yes, you also need a test within 72 hours prior to crossing into Canada. no test required to cross back into the USA. this is for land border crossings, not flying. and the whole situation seems to change rapidly. i am planning on driving into BC from eastern WA in feb and am doing it the morning after i arrive so my NYC test will get me over the border and i wont need to worry about finding a test in spokane with same day turnaround. i also know where to get it for free here in nyc.
So doesn’t matter if you need to be vax’d to ski in Canada as you can’t get there if you aren’t vax’d

KustyTheKlown

Practically yea it doesn’t effect us as Americans. It effects Canadians and is a pretty significant thing worth mentioning in this thread tho

thebigo

Does OSHA come to your house to check if you are masked? Or do they put cameras in to watch you?
To my knowledge, OSHA is not relevant to the federal contractor mandate. HR however is compelled to follow the guidance and supervisors are compelled to abide by hr policy. Supervisors actually do have cameras in employees houses, indeed we spend a significant portion of the day looking into said cameras.

Smellytele

To my knowledge, OSHA is not relevant to the federal contractor mandate. HR however is compelled to follow the guidance and supervisors are compelled to abide by hr policy. Supervisors actually do have cameras in employees houses, indeed we spend a significant portion of the day looking into said cameras.
"However, because employees’ homes are not covered contractor workplaces, such remote employees are not required to follow the additional masking and social distancing requirements when working from home."

Looks like they don't have to mask up but they do need to be vaccinated

2Planker

Boston just Canceled this weekend's Ski & Snowboard Expo (now called The Snowbound Festival) due to Covid Concern's.

Hmmm Michelle Wu's first day in office

Last edited:

drjeff

Boston just Cancelled this weekend's Ski & Snowboard Expo (now called The Snowbound Festival) due to Covid Concern's.

Hmmm Michelle Wu's first day in office

And yet the Celtics have 2 home games in TD Garden this weekend and BC football is hosting Florida State. Now you could argue that the BC game outside at Chestnut Hill is different, but the Celtics games, both of which will likely have far more people in the building at any one time that the Ski Expo would of had, that's a head scratcher, as they likely could of used the same admission protocols that TD Garden uses

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm wondering if the vendors were pulling out. Maybe the marketing teams are helping HR find snowmakers!

I was in the Convention Center two weeks ago for a physicians conference. It was fine.

jimmywilson69

I'm going to 1000+ convention on Thursday. I am boosted. however, I'd be lying that I don't have some apprehension. It is an engineering and construction conference. There will be little to no mask wearing. I will definitely at times, in the smaller breakout rooms be wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.