• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebird

Boston just Canceled this weekend's Ski & Snowboard Expo (now called The Snowbound Festival) due to Covid Concern's.

Hmmm Michelle Wu's first day in office
??? I received an email about it being postponed to 2022 back in September. (9/9 to be exact)

2Planker

Someone on the SR site said it was Canc a while ago....
But it just was announced today on WBZ radio & Ch 4.

I agree, all the marketing people are gonna be needed to make snow, check tickets, flip burgers, park cars, drive shuttles, wait tables, washing dishes, make beds.....

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

??? I received an email about it being postponed to 2022 back in September. (9/9 to be exact)

Yes it was canceled about a month or two ago. My wife and talked about it with owners of The Ride and Ski Card. He knew back in August. as a vendor.

abc

How dare you all present information to contradict someone's implying this cancellation is the doing of a new liberal mayor! ;)

Don't you all know this is a political forum with only occasional ski related discussions? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Andrew B.

Even the NYT now acknowledges that the vaccines weren’t going to stop the spread of covid.
I guess threats of violence and rusty implements were just hysteria from unhinged people who couldn’t think for themselves.

See ya on the slopes

deadheadskier

Staff member
Variants have different challenges. Prior to Omicron, vaccines did help some with preventing spread.

What can't be denied is that they do very much help in preventing severe illness and reducing hospital stay lengths and hence strain on the healthcare system. It still 100% makes sense for all who are eligible to get the jab.

I don't think this is some sorta victory lap you were hoping for Andrew. Evidence still highly favors the importance of getting vaccinated.

Edd

Even the NYT now acknowledges that the vaccines weren’t going to stop the spread of covid.
I guess threats of violence and rusty implements were just hysteria from unhinged people who couldn’t think for themselves.

See ya on the slopes
Gonna take a wild guess that you don’t work in a hospital.

boston_e

Variants have different challenges. Prior to Omicron, vaccines did help some with preventing spread.

What can't be denied is that they do very much help in preventing severe illness and reducing hospital stay lengths and hence strain on the healthcare system. It still 100% makes sense for all who are eligible to get the jab.

I don't think this is some sorta victory lap you were hoping for Andrew. Evidence still highly favors the importance of getting vaccinated.
While by no means 100% vaccines still help with preventing spread - with first Delta and now Omicron variant they are less effective at that, although it still seems to be pretty good after the 3rd shot.

As you mention, they are still very effective at reducing the chances of serious illness. Pretty much zero reason for someone not to get jabbed and those who don't are only helping to prolong this whole situation.

NYDB

Should be an interesting next month.

Interested in seeing how mountains can comply with fed/state testing and quarantine requirements while maintaining staffing levels high enough to keep mountains open as omicron rips through the employees.

Andrew B.

The point I stated several times agreed with the basic premise that the vaccine helps, but where it differs was that it would not stop covid and therefore be a demand on free people.
Covid is here to stay, forever, like permanent.
IMO Forcing people with the threat of violence and lost earning opportunities to take a shot that was developed and rushed into use in under a year by a President that half the country didn’t approve of wasn’t really the way our country should work.
It’s good to see some other people coming to the realization that it is to be “lived with” and not “eradicated”.

snoseek

Parents, girlfriend, family and all my friends are triple dosed. I'll still mask up for the sake of others but as far as I'm concerned this shit is over for me and I honestly have zero fucks to give. This is now a battle for anyone refusing to get dosed. I'm done

Great Bear

Interested in seeing how mountains can comply with fed/state testing and quarantine requirements while maintaining staffing levels high enough to keep mountains open as omicron rips through the employees.
Killington was definitely feeling the effects this past weekend. I read they had something like 80+ staff members out either with covid or with some sort of exposure. They had a couple of the rental shops closed due to staffing as well as some of the indoor bar areas (not clear if they did that due to staffing or just to reduce people staying inside)

For me, I didn't notice much difference since I was not renting nor did I plan to go to the bar - I don't know if grooming was reduced or not.

abc

This is now a battle for anyone refusing to get dosed. I'm done
I just wish we stop the "battle".

Those who are vaxxed, live a normal life. Those who are not, live a normal life. If the vaxxed catch it, they won't get too sick. That's fine by me. Those who hadn't got vaxxed, they might get sick. That's fine by them too.

People overeat, under exercise, got drunk, take drugs... So what if they refuse vaxx? Let them!

When I go to a restaurant in NYC, there's a great big sign on the window of their sanitation grade. Add percentage vaccination to it. People can choose where to eat and where not to.

boston_e

People overeat, under exercise, got drunk, take drugs... So what if they refuse vaxx? Let them!

I agree in theory - if someone is too stupid to get vaccinated and are one of the unlucky ones to end up in a hospital on a ventilator that is on them. The problem lies in managing health care capacity and availability. If you or a family member needs emergency medical care and all the beds are full with unvaccinated morons that is a big problem.

skimagic

I agree in theory - if someone is too stupid to get vaccinated and are one of the unlucky ones to end up in a hospital on a ventilator that is on them. The problem lies in managing health care capacity and availability. If you or a family member needs emergency medical care and all the beds are full with unvaccinated morons that is a big problem.
plus the cost of hospitalizations will have to be passed either through higher health care insurance rates or through taxpayer subsidies.

Great Bear

Black Mountain just announced that they will be closed this week (reopening Saturday) due to Covid among their staff. I don't know if that means they just don't have enough people or if they are just being super cautious.

abc

The problem lies in managing health care capacity and availability. If you or a family member needs emergency medical care and all the beds are full with unvaccinated morons that is a big problem.
Sadly, been there.

Wait in ER for ages for a broken bone (not mine). One after another came in, gun shot wound, heart attack...

Either we double or triple hospital capacity, at double triple our insurance premium. There will never be enough hospital capacity at all times. Had also been in ER where I was the only patient and got all the attention for a (relatively straight forward) collarbone break. Covid is no different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.