• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Prediction: Do you think Mittersill will open this year?

gregnye

So---still more snow than last year (in some places) but definitely not as snowy as the season 2 years ago.

So my question is: Do you predict that Mittersill (at Cannon of course) will open this year? Take a guess!

I, for one, want it to open as I never got a chance to ski it! But so far, looking at the way this season is going, most of the snow seems to end up in the lower NH part of things.

So what do you think? :smile:

Cheese

Yes, one more 24" storm will do it. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I also hope they removed the half fallen cable from the t-bar line. Damn that was one nasty crash 2 years ago!

Last edited:

Puck it

It needs a good two or more storms for them to open it after this thaw. There is no snow from about midway down really.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So ... how does this winter compare to last for you guys so far? I don't think Mittersill had snow on it almost at all last year, period

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is the problem with it being part of Cannon - now you have to wait for the ropes to drop. Before if you felt like risking it you just did. Just the same - it was no fun if the cover wasn't there.

Cannonball

This is the problem with it being part of Cannon - now you have to wait for the ropes to drop. Before if you felt like risking it you just did. Just the same - it was no fun if the cover wasn't there.

Ummm, it has been as heavily skied this year as any other year. Coverage was decent until this week.

Cannonball

Did the chairlift upload skiers and riders? I think for some that may define "open".

No, the lift hasn't run. It hasn't been "open". I was responding the Abubob's comment that you used to be able to ski it at will but now have to wait until it's "open". In that regard nothing has changed about the amount of skier traffic it sees.

Puck it

There have been plenty of people over there like Cannonball said. The upper mountain was fine until the midday point when the coverage becomes an issue. For me the hike has not been worth yet this year and I will pretty much ski anything with snow on it. It is the yahoos that make the hike now that it is a part of Cannon. Before it would keep them away.

skifree

Oh yeah you are. We do slide down mountains with boards strapped to our feet?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It would just take one huge two foot dump and they could open it. Making predictions about this is kinda silly, you might as well try to predict when the next two one foot dumps or the next two foot dump is going to happen. There have been years that I wouldn't ski over there until February (and I've skied some atrocious base destroying conditions over there throughout the years) and there were years that I was skinning Mittersill in November before Cannon even opened. Who knows.

Puck it

It would just take one huge two foot dump and they could open it. Making predictions about this is kinda silly, you might as well try to predict when the next two one foot dumps or the next two foot dump is going to happen. There have been years that I wouldn't ski over there until February (and I've skied some atrocious base destroying conditions over there throughout the years) and there were years that I was skinning Mittersill in November before Cannon even opened. Who knows.

Or 4 6" dumps.