• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

thetrailboss

Staff member
You drive over by Morgan yet? Curious if construction is going. They are pretty tight lipped on what is actually happening. From what I’ve been told they are green lit and shot be going. Just haven’t ventured that direction in a while
Driven by twice in the last month--specifically to see what is going on. I have not gotten any pics because the lighting was bad. One can see the road is in place and that other infrastructure is going in. Also one can see that they are grading some ski trails. I've not been able to see any ski lift towers yet but I would imagine later this summer.

Their website has no real information. I knew that Bob Wheaton was their "President" but I recently read that Stern's kids are invested in this whole operation. Basically it is Deer Valley II going in. And the timing is very interesting--probably just long enough so any "non-compete" has now expired and also in response to Alterra going all IKON on Deer Valley.

machski

Flew in and out of Heber City yesterday. What a scar the new Mayflower resort is. They had better have some damn good snowmaking, that low and southeastern exposure.

FBGM

Flew in and out of Heber City yesterday. What a scar the new Mayflower resort is. They had better have some damn good snowmaking, that low and southeastern exposure.
Right?!?

I have no idea what their snowmaking capacity will be. And I’m guessing they are pulling from the Jordenelle which could get capped or limited at the rate we are going. Deer Valley gondola side is the same, but that’s just 2 trails for the gondola and rich peeps that side - and that stuff struggles to make it till closing….

thetrailboss

Staff member
Right?!?

I have no idea what their snowmaking capacity will be. And I’m guessing they are pulling from the Jordenelle which could get capped or limited at the rate we are going. Deer Valley gondola side is the same, but that’s just 2 trails for the gondola and rich peeps that side - and that stuff struggles to make it till closing….
I think if truth be told they have not yet resolved that. They seem to think that any day now Deer Valley/Alterra is going to step in and take over the skiing portion of this project. I would not be surprised if they just assume that it will plug into Deer Valley's system.

One thing that is interesting is that DV (or one of the realtors) used to have a 3-D model of the resort in Snow Park Lodge with all the real estate developments shown. They used it for marketing. THIS development was on it several years ago--albeit in a different configuration. I also recall DVR once being involved in this development but over the last couple years they have not been involved (actually, after Alterra took it over I have not seen any mention of involvement in this project and media reports make it clear that DVR is NOT involved in this project).

I think that this is too late for the PC market, which is already pretty saturated. As I said I don't see much of a market for this high-end stuff now that DV is IKON and Wasatch Peaks Ranch is starting to siphon that high end away. As said the location sucks for skiing. It seems more and more like someone is desperately trying to shoe-horn this into a place where there is no need and where it will not be viable.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
And I have not seen this flashy promo video before--or if I have it has been a long time. Some of the claims at the beginning as to size are just ridiculous and facially incorrect.

The video works...but you have to watch it on Vimeo. And the similarities between this and the Jay/Burke EB-5 videos, with government officials openly endorsing this project, is spooky. This seems too good to be true and probably is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, they all smiled for the cameras last week:

Interesting that the CURRENT Governor was not there. That should tell you something,

And the "benefit" to those currently enlisted shrinks everyday:

They were celebrating the beginning of construction of a U.S. Air Force “morale, welfare and recreation” facility, a block of 100 reserved rooms in a planned 442-room hotel at the base of what is planned to become the Mayflower Mountain Resort.

The reserved rooms will be offered at heavily discounted rates to members of the military. The hotel itself is planned to cost $390 million, cover nearly 5 acres and total 642,000 square feet.

Again, for those not in the know, the whole genesis of this development was that Snowbasin/the Olympics took over a small ski chalet that Hill Airforce Base personnel used. In order to "pay them back," the MIDA was created--to give these enlisted personnel land that magically was not subject to any local tax or land use laws. Apparently, they were going to "get" the base area at Park City/Canyons but that project failed so this land will do.

So of course they can't do anything with that land so we now need a NY developer and $3.2 billion to build all this stuff that is unrelated to their "ski chalet" which now is in the form of "deeply discounted rooms" of a yet-to-be built hotel. Yes, this sounds very easy to understand and so transparent.

“Mr. Barnett’s vision for this area far surpasses the original vision,” Farrell said.

No shit, Sherlock.

What officials call the MWR hotel is a replacement for a former Air Force recreation facility at Snowbasin Resort that was closed in the run-up to the 2002 Olympics to make room for the downhill ski competition, according to Utah State Senator Jerry Stevenson.

Again, amazing how a ski chalet becomes a $3.2 billion project.

“If you’d have told me in 2002 that we could’ve moved that military facility into a project that has the amenities and the capacity of the project that Mr. Barnett is building, it would’ve made us all giggle,” Adams said.

Yes, this is sooo funny. I am laughing as to this coincidence as well.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

In ten years snowboarding will be allowed at DV and all of the PC area ski resorts will be connected.

in 20 years I bet the One Wasatch plan will be in motion.

As long as there are lifts planned that can down load people from upper elevations the project makes sense, well except for that dang climate science. If the science is correct, almost no ski area development actually makes any sense but humans are extremely short sighted.

FBGM

In ten years snowboarding will be allowed at DV and all of the PC area ski resorts will be connected.

in 20 years I bet the One Wasatch plan will be in motion.

As long as there are lifts planned that can down load people from upper elevations the project makes sense, well except for that dang climate science. If the science is correct, almost no ski area development actually makes any sense but humans are extremely short sighted.
In 20 years this new resort may be done. Drove by yesterday and it looked the same as 16 months ago. Good luck…

BenedictGomez

The genesis of this project is clearly a scam, some intrepid reporter should investigate.

But what I want to know is, what the hell is the utility of this monstrosity?

If you're vacationing in the area you want to be in Park City, not the wraparound void between Park City & Heber City. Looking at a terrain map, the skiing would be mostly low-angle beginner and intermediate, and only useful to connect to Deer Valley. And Park City isnt exactly a conference meca, sure they have some, but they seem to be smaller & mostly roll through The St. Regis Deer Valley, which has much better location & prestige. Selling lots of condos? Meh, not where I'd want to buy. I think if I were a condo buyer I'd again, just buy in Park City or the myriad inventory at Canyons. I dont get this project at all.

jimk

I skied down to the bottom and rode the Jordanelle Gondi for the first time this winter. Tons of mcmansions over there and nice views of the reservoir, but limited amount of snow and runs, many were cat-tracky. Very much set up as a lift to serve real estate owners rather than a lift to access high interest ski terrain. To develop more of that in the same area to serve more mcmansions that sit empty 90% of the time does seem unnecessary.

This photo was of a friend inside the Jordanelle Gondola, taken early April, 2021. You can see how dry and dusty the terrain is looking up the gondi line. It's also crisscrossed with little access roads. I assume the new, nearby development would have about the same elevation and exposure.
inside jordanelle gondi.jpg

We stopped to look at this mcmansion on the run down to the gondi. Just what you need for a house full of tired, but well heeled skiers, that tall glass structure is an elevator.
jordanelle mcmansion.jpg

View of the Jordanelle Reservoir at Deer Valley, heading to gondola base, Apr 2021, Deer Valley, UT
jordanelle trail apr 2021 deer valley.jpg

drjeff

I skied down to the bottom and rode the Jordanelle Gondi for the first time this winter. Tons of mcmansions over there and nice views of the reservoir, but limited amount of snow and runs, many were cat-tracky. Very much set up as a lift to serve real estate owners rather than a lift to access high interest ski terrain. To develop more of that in the same area to serve more mcmansions that sit empty 90% of the time does seem unnecessary.

This photo was of a friend inside the Jordanelle Gondola, taken early April, 2021. You can see how dry and dusty the terrain is looking up the gondi line. It's also crisscrossed with little access roads. I assume the new, nearby development would have about the same elevation and exposure.
View attachment 51743

We stopped to look at this mcmansion on the run down to the gondi. Just what you need for a house full of tired, but well heeled skiers, that tall glass structure is an elevator.
View attachment 51744

View of the Jordanelle Reservoir at Deer Valley, heading to gondola base, Apr 2021, Deer Valley, UT
View attachment 51745
Always enjoyed ripping some GS turns down Jordanelle with the family when we've skied DV. Has some fun pitch to let the skis go a bit most of the way down until you get to that maybe 120 degree right hander maybe a 1/4 mile or so before you get to the gondola terminal.

My kids an I usually would have to wait for my wife to get to the bottom, as she certainly is guilty of some serious house gawking when we all would take that trail (and numerous others at DV!)

FBGM

View attachment 51743

View attachment 51744

View attachment 51745
You’re right. The terrain and aspect of this new wack project is same aspect and lack of snow. The Jordenelle trail is not bad and view is good. That’s about it. If you’re on the lake or other side looking at the trail/development it looks like shit. But if you have a $15m second home there, the view out is great. But if I had a spare $15m owning or building in that development would not even cross my mind.

BenedictGomez

So guess where they are going? Hint: a former Deer Valley President is managing this new venture and at least one former DVR owner is behind this new upstart. Still don't get it? Well, it is getting two new lifts this year and some houses are starting to go up. It is here: https://wasatchpeaksranch.com/

So I first learned of that project about 1.5 years ago, looked it up casually, seemed a pipedream, and didnt think much of it. Fast forward to tonight, and holy flipping Spaceballs, that's a TEN MILE LONG ski area as planned (see my pic linked). Is the entrance right off 84?

My curiosity is, if it really is only for the uber-rich, how can you run one of the largest ski properties on the planet with what I imagine is a small clientele? Only thing I can think of is you go with the Liberty National model & charge a $500,000 initiation fee and then like $30,000 per year, but what a waste if so. The place would literally, not figuratively be empty. Or maybe it wouldnt be so "exclusive" at all & they'll just charge $300 for lift tickets to keep the unwashed away. Either way, I'm intrigued to learn about their business model.

Attachments

• Big Ski area.JPG
    Big Ski area.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 24

mbedle

So I first learned of that project about 1.5 years ago, looked it up casually, seemed a pipedream, and didnt think much of it. Fast forward to tonight, and holy flipping Spaceballs, that's a TEN MILE LONG ski area as planned (see my pic linked). Is the entrance right off 84?

My curiosity is, if it really is only for the uber-rich, how can you run one of the largest ski properties on the planet with what I imagine is a small clientele? Only thing I can think of is you go with the Liberty National model & charge a $500,000 initiation fee and then like $30,000 per year, but what a waste if so. The place would literally, not figuratively be empty. Or maybe it wouldnt be so "exclusive" at all & they'll just charge $300 for lift tickets to keep the unwashed away. Either way, I'm intrigued to learn about their business model.
It looks like there will be multiple entrances including off of 84 and out of Peterson. It also does not look like the skiing is planned across the entire Ridgeline.

Attachments

• Context Map_190213.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 15

BenedictGomez

It also does not look like the skiing is planned across the entire Ridgeline.

I guess that would make sense then. When I saw the map of their property & saw that it was all continuous mountain & that they were saying how it would be one of the biggest in N.A., I figured that they meant the whole thing.

FBGM

M

ski area is not all that. Much smaller. They own all that stuff, but won’t ski develop it all