• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Slowest Chairlifts?!?!? Snowpocolypse anyone?!?!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Well, 2 feet of heavy wet slop IS "snopocolypse" when it comes to a hydro system... That's why they coined it that I think. 2 feet of heavy wet slop at the first of November could be enough for a lot of places to open up and stay open too though! Mind you, since they'd have no power it could be an ugly catch 22.

Yeah that's true I guess I was thinking in terms of skiing. If temps stay lower (didn't look?) I guess it could be groomed up and provide a base, I think it's a little early still for WV

drjeff

Well, 2 feet of heavy wet slop IS "snopocolypse" when it comes to a hydro system... That's why they coined it that I think. 2 feet of heavy wet slop at the first of November could be enough for a lot of places to open up and stay open too though! Mind you, since they'd have no power it could be an ugly catch 22.

So later this week when it's about 40 degrees in the places where they're getting snow today from this, and all that wet snow melts, game over for those ski areas until some real cold arrives. Plus, given the fact that where it's going to snow today is going to get lashed with some BIG winds, they're going to have some likely major storm damage to deal with before the thoughts of recreation activities

skiNEwhere

Yea I guess you are right. It just pisses me off that I'm always respectful to people first on here and just trying to stimulate the threads since there hasn't been much new conversation on here in the last week, and some people have to put down other people's threads. Not cool, but whatever.

Polarizor

Yeah that's true I guess I was thinking in terms of skiing. If temps stay lower (didn't look?) I guess it could be groomed up and provide a base, I think it's a little early still for WV

Wasn't someone there first to open in the east around now 2 or 3 years ago?? My thought was if one gets hit with 2+ feet of heavy wet right now it may well be enough to open and ride it out till decent snowmaking temps in a week or 2 as it is practically November after all.

Polarizor

Yea I guess you are right. It just pisses me off that I'm always respectful to people first on here and just trying to stimulate the threads since there hasn't been much new conversation on here in the last week, and some people have to put down other people's threads. Not cool, but whatever.

I mean ...come on....I seriously think slowest chairlift ranks up there with softest TP. Softest TP might actually be even more important, as you'll require that after the slowest chairlift :grin:

ScottySkis

I mean ...come on....I seriously think slowest chairlift ranks up there with softest TP. Softest TP might actually be even more important, as you'll require that after the slowest chairlift :grin:

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Snowbasin Utah has the best bathroom, so I bet they have good to to lol.

skiNEwhere

Snowpocolypse is coming and you guys are chatting about the northeast's slowest chairlifts?!? You're kidding right?? Hadn't been on here in ages and thought I would pop in to see what the word was on who would get hit the hardest snow wise by the "storm of the century" only to find you're talking about slow chairlifts and Deer Valley??? WOW :-o

Looks like you are the only one who's bothered by my "slowest chairlift" post. And also the only one who beleives in this "Snowpocolypse"

Gnarcissaro

skiNEwhere, when I started posting on online forums years ago, it didn't take me long to realize you need to be able to brush that type of BS off. I'm sure this is not new info for you.

I suggest you take the advice from Smelly to grow some thicker skin and quit whining about "he wasn't nice to me, wahhhh."

Common courtesy isn't so common. To expect it over an internet forum is silly.

With that said...
Polarizor, if you think October snow in WV means the start of the ski season there, you sir are an idiot.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

The ones at Okemo that you have to take to get up to the better terrain are very slow, and no way to avoid.

skiNEwhere

Well so much for being diplomatic!!! Just eat s$&% and die!! :argue:

.......Just kidding! :)

rev bubba

No snow in NJ/NY. 25 foot waves on the south end of Lake Michigan, up to 20 foot elsewhere in the Great Lakes which is still damn big. So far, there have not even been 50 foot waves out in the Atlantic from the storm and nothing that large is predicted to hit the shore. Largest surf forecast I've seen is 12-16 foot.

skiNEwhere

It's all good man, I was trying to be diplomatic but that didn't work so I resorted to option B.......lol

Thanks

Polarizor

With that said...
Polarizor, if you think October snow in WV means the start of the ski season there, you sir are an idiot.

Would depend entirely on how much. There is talk of this storm hanging around and dumping for days. As previously mentioned...WV opened up before the northeast not too long ago...

steamboat1

No snow in NJ/NY. 25 foot waves on the south end of Lake Michigan, up to 20 foot elsewhere in the Great Lakes which is still damn big. So far, there have not even been 50 foot waves out in the Atlantic from the storm and nothing that large is predicted to hit the shore. Largest surf forecast I've seen is 12-16 foot.

Some current NDBC observations from offshore buoys as of Monday 9 AM

Note:

-44025 ( 23 miles off Long Island) 23 foot seas/40-48 mph winds

-44009-Delaware Bay 20 foot waves/35-44 winds/63 degree water

- Buoy 41001 off E. Hatteras seems to have lost wind sensors last night. Last recorded wind was up to 66mph.Current 33 foot waves/ no recorded wind) 69 degrees

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
There was talk yesterday of 2 feet of snow for NYC and it's currently snowing in Washington. I figured from that there was potential for something really bizarre like NJ/PA resorts to get burried in 5 feet of snow. I just saw another news story with a prediction of 50 foot waves on the great lakes?!
There was never a forecast for snow in NYC. The snow was forecasted for West Virginia and the mountains on western PA... pretty far away from anyone currently commenting in the slow lifts thread. And for those close enough to make a day trip of it, I think they probably have bigger issues to worry about. I am sure we'll see some Snowshoe reports before the week is over.