• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer's finally here...

Be careful what you wish for. Last time I said things were getting boring around here, 9/11 struck a week later. No $hit.
Now I keep my mouth shut and I give thanks for each day.

Hurricane Ivan taught people that building a house along the Deleware river wasn't the best idea..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Straight from cold and rainy to hot and humid. This is the kind of weather that makes me hate the NWS.

Why the NWS? Because I feel more often than not Intellicast, Accuweather, WU and hell, even the Weather Channel produces more accurate forecasts and I need a place towards which to direct my anger.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Sun!!! Waa-hoo!! I know I have complained a lot about the rain, but, the rivers are running awesome right now! Creeks that flow off of the Pemi that are normally long time dried out now are still runable!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sun!!! Waa-hoo!! I know I have complained a lot about the rain, but, the rivers are running awesome right now! Creeks that flow off of the Pemi that are normally long time dried out now are still runable!

Some folks unfortunately put their guard down, expecting this to be normal waters at this time. I am hearing more of this each day.
http://www.recorder.com/story.cfm?id_no=6435792
Deefield river is running more than 10 times its average flow for this time of year.
Very sad.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Some folks unfortunately put their guard down, expecting this to be normal waters at this time. I am hearing more of this each day.
http://www.recorder.com/story.cfm?id_no=6435792
Deefield river is running more than 10 times its average flow for this time of year.
Very sad.

It is very sad. There were four rescues in NH over the weekend. A body was found in the Merrimack River yesterday afternoon. A rescue just happened on the Pemi in Woodstock, not sure what happened.

The river can be fun, but it is always dangerous.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Major headline this morning: a very big weather pattern change is currently taking place, with the blocking pattern ending and the jet stream shifting to set up a trough on the west coast. Translation: rainy weather there, warm, dry, sunny weather here! 8)

Heard it on WDEV this morning. Source: http://www.weatheringheights.com/

Major headline this morning: a very big weather pattern change is currently taking place, with the blocking pattern ending and the jet stream shifting to set up a trough on the west coast. Translation: rainy weather there, warm, dry, sunny weather here! 8)

I hope you are wrong..I want it to rain more..it's supposed to hit 90 today..please some relief..if it was raining I bet it would only hit 75,,,which would be sweet..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I hope you are wrong..I want it to rain more..it's supposed to hit 90 today..please some relief..if it was raining I bet it would only hit 75,,,which would be sweet..

Well, you are more than welcome to take all of the rain we have had in here in VT. This has not been summer at all up here.

hammer

This is good to hear...have the family camping trip in a few weeks and we don't want a replay of the endless rain we had last summer. :-x

Well, you are more than welcome to take all of the rain we have had in here in VT. This has not been summer at all up here.

Isn't Vermont typically one of the cloudiest states??? Everyday it rains..I don't feel guilty sitting on the internet..which I prefer over most summer activities..:daffy:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Isn't Vermont typically one of the cloudiest states??? Everyday it rains..I don't feel guilty sitting on the internet..which I prefer over most summer activities..:daffy:

You're probably thinking of state of Washington. It gets so gloomy there, even in the summer. A friend of mine moved there, and fled the place after 9 months because it so depressed him.

If you want rain, please come to my house and take as many mushrooms as you want from the lawn, all the moss that is growing on the roof and the mildew from the exterior walls. :-o

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I was watching a meathead film about this one extreme boarder who also dislikes summer. He's big into jumps, flips etc. Says he gets so bored in summer. the cure was to go out and buy 2 trampolines and master various moves he can use when on his board.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Dry weather? TB, I love you.

Strictly platonically, of course.

You're probably thinking of state of Washington. It gets so gloomy there, even in the summer. A friend of mine moved there, and fled the place after 9 months because it so depressed him.

If you want rain, please come to my house and take as many mushrooms as you want from the lawn, all the moss that is growing on the roof and the mildew from the exterior walls. :-o

Unfortunately they are probably not the kind of mushrooms I enjoy..

Burlington VT ranks as the 20th cloudiest metro area in the US..

Cloudiest US Metropolitan Areas

Number of ----- City --------------- Population
cloudy days

239 Anchorage, AK (359,000)
230 Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA (115,000)
229 Olympia, WA (234,000)
228 Bremerton-Silverdale, WA (240,000)
227 Bellingham, WA (185,000)
226 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA (3,263,000)
222 Portland, OR (2,137,000)
218 Longview, WA (100,000)
212 Binghamton, NY (250,000)
212 Corvallis, OR (79,000)
210 Fairbanks, AK (82,000)
209 Eugene, OR (369,000)
208 Buffalo, NY (1,137,000)
208 Missoula, MT (101,000)
208 Salem, OR (385,000)
208 Morgantown, WV (115,000)
207 Erie, PA (279,000)
206 Ithaca, NY (100,000)
206 Pittsburgh, PA (2,370,000)
206 Burlington, VT (206,000)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah but most of Burlington's weather crosses over Champlain first, probably accounting for Burlington's cloudiness, and Jay Peak's snowiness.

Not all of Vermont is like that. I bet the air dries considerbly by the time it gets down into the NEK. Foehn winds and all that.

mondeo

Yipee! Nicely timed to go along with the usual cooling off starting in mid-August. Looks like we might avoid serious heat this summer while still getting some dry spells.