• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/9 - 2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

tjf67

they keep flip flopping up here as to weather it will be all snow or some rain mixed in. A little rain wont hurt it will chase the weak home and leave the good stuff for us.

Zand

Just started here. 2-4" is the forecast with maybe some rain mixed in.

Greg

Staff member
Been snowing since around noon. 34*F and the ground is white again!

jaywbigred

30 degrees and dropping here at Stratton. prob 3 inches fell since about 2 pm, and the expect another 5 or so overnight, I believe.

bobbutts

Looks like some decent snows but unfortunately some high winds tomorrow - mon

From NWS GYX
THE MOUNTAINS OF NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE WERE UPGRADED TO A HEAVY
SNOW WARNING AS UPSLOPE SNOW SUNDAY EVENING SHOULD PUSH MANY
UPSLOPE AREAS TO NEAR 10 INCHES FOR THE LONG DURATION EVENT.

WINDS SUNDAY EVENING MAY GUST TO 50 MPH AT TIMES...AND THIS WILL
RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. THOUGHT ABOUT A HIGH WIND
WATCH..
MONDAY WILL BE
WINDY...WITH GENERALLY 20 TO 30 MPH SUSTAINED WINDS...WITH GUSTS
LIKELY PEAKING AROUND 45 MPH.

Greg

Staff member
Our 2+" of snow from yesterday settled and melted to almost nothing. It's now snowing moderately again. 32.9*F.

Greg

Staff member
Wow! It's friggin' dumping here right now - huge fat flakes:

IMG_4881.jpg

Hope Sundown picks up a few inches for tonight.

Zand

Cool forecast for today:

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a west wind 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 21 and 24 mph. Winds could gust as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Weatherbug says: Snow with isolated thunderstorms.

Don't see that too often.

There was a pretty intense snow squall when I rolled into Blue mountain this morning at 7:20AM..but it was such heavy wet snow that it made everything ski much slower...now it's sunny and windier than a mo-fo..maybe 60mph gusts this afternoon...wowser..but awesome snowmaking temperatures tonight..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
we had one of those burst things today. 10am - sunglasses required. 12noon - pouring rain. 1pm - burst of snow, started like an explosion - wind was so strong it sounded like a jet aircraft, the snow looked like it was pouring from the sky. At ground, it would swirl straight back up. I usually only see it that wild at mountain tops. Then the thunder clapped, kaBOOM. 330PM - blue skies and sunny, all the snow melted from the trees. 4pm - clouding, radar shows another snowburst coming.
My wife said "I'm glad everyone's off the road", I said, "That's cool, wish I was out there!"
:)

Zand

Off and on snow squalls here all day...about 2" of pretty wet snow. Over the last hour the wind has really picked up and the temp has gone down to about 25.

Greg

Staff member
Serious squall here right now. Full on white-out with probably <1/8 mile visibility. Temperature is falling and the wind is screaming out of the NNW. Crazy weather today.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Funny, talked to a buddy in Franconia, NH a little while ago and they said the wind was howling, and alot of snow was coming down. No wind in Woodstock, NH, but the snow is still falling steadily! About six inches totla so far.

Please more for Cannon tomorrow!

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I looked out at one point to see that moderate snow had suddenly changed to huge, zero-visibility snow, falling at a rate that I'd never seen before.

I watched, dumbfounded, then realized finally that a sudden wind was simply driving all the snow off the tree tops. It wasn't windy close to the ground, so I hadn't realized. I was a little disappointed.