• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official Blizzard of 2006 Discussion Thread

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
"conditions are not good"...............not!

Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
LVNLARG said:
thetrailboss said:
Well, word to wise, snow in New York City does nothing to improve skiing :roll: We have half an inch here in the Upper Valley.

It sure does improve ski area revenues though :lol:

In the short run, yes. In the long run, no. Those NYCer's and others (no offense...folks in here know what happens in Snow Country) will be flying up here and then will :argue: because the conditions aren't good and then they will wonder why.

Now we need that snow to come up here so we can enjoy it.
No offense trailboss, but there are ski areas south of the Mass/VT border... And this will help the industry overall with the major cities receiving a lot of snow. Vermont resorts, due to their location, will inherently usually survive a crappy weather pattern like we saw in January. Central/Southern NE and other Northeast ski areas aren't as fortunate and some were really suffering (Powder Ridge, for example). A storm like this is nothing but good for the Industry, regardless of whether your favorite ski area received a foot or not. Even if VT did get pounded, many city folks aren't going to skip work tomorrow to ski it. The folks we're talking about are weekend warriors and if the snow in the back yard gets them thinking about skiing again, it's good for everybody. We're barely a week beyond that crappy thaw so don't worry about it. You guys will get yours in time...

First, if you read the most recent trip reports you will find that the skiing in Vermont is pretty good. Check the most recent Sugarbush report. "the conditions are not good" is not exactly accurate.

Secondly people from NYC are not NYCer's but are New Yorkers. :wink:

You can have great conditions up north but to really get alot of folks thinking about going to Vermont from Boston or NYC it helps greatly if they have snow in their backyard. Gets them thinking about skiing.

I really wish this storm covered the whole northeast but getting dumps in southern NE isn't bad either.

I do understand your point tho. There will be people who after digging out will assume everyone in NE got alot of new snow. I have talked to those people on the phone and they will get very upset and want to know how that could happen. "how could we get a foot in Boston and you have nothing new in Vermont?". This is the point in time where I think about the book I am writing "what I really want to say" but refrain. My tongue is very heavily scarred from that job. :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: "conditions are not good"...............not!

ski_resort_observer said:
First, if you read the most recent trip reports you will find that the skiing in Vermont is pretty good. Check the most recent Sugarbush report. "the conditions are not good" is not exactly accurate.

I agree. It is decent right now...better than it was two weeks ago :wink:

Secondly people from NYC are not NYCer's but are New Yorkers. :wink:

Yep, I know. Trying to type too much I guess.

You can have great conditions up north but to really get alot of folks thinking about going to Vermont from Boston or NYC it helps greatly if they have snow in their backyard. Gets them thinking about skiing.

This is my point as well....

I really wish this storm covered the whole northeast but getting dumps in southern NE isn't bad either.

Agreed.
I do understand your point tho. There will be people who after digging out will assume everyone in NE got alot of new snow. I have talked to those people on the phone and they will get very upset and want to know how that could happen. "how could we get a foot in Boston and you have nothing new in Vermont?". This is the point in time where I think about the book I am writing "what I really want to say" but refrain. My tongue is very heavily scarred from that job. :lol:

This was my point. Right on the head. I'm glad that someone read and understood what I said rather than reading something else into it! :roll:

awf170

I really don't think they are good. I didn't go this weekend but I imagine the skiing was pretty bad in Norhern NE. The reason the trip reports seem good IMO are: the conditions were so bad the last month that anything besides pouring rain is good. And most people on this site are extremely opptimistic.

thetrailboss

Staff member

awf170 said:

I really don't think they are good. I didn't go this weekend but I imagine the skiing was pretty bad in Norhern NE. The reason the trip reports seem good IMO are: the conditions were so bad the last month that anything besides pouring rain is good. And most people on this site are extremely opptimistic.

Hey Austin--we missed you yesterday. Had a great time. Skiing was decent but you're right, it could be better....we're getting there...slowly.

LVNLARG

Point on point... NYC weekend warriors for the most part DON'T EVEN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND BAD SKIING. My point was...which has been echoed big time...it get's them going. If they don't see snow in their back yards...they think the same is true at the resorts. A lot of them DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SNOWMAKING IS. 22" in NYC will send every once a year/once a lifetime skier running for the mountains in every direction which will do an immense amount of good for the skiing industry in the North East on a whole. If this hadn't occured the once-a-year's resorts count on showing up may not have gone at all this year. The spike this will bring may be enough to even save some from bankruptcy. I don't even think bad reports enters into it as this week/next weekend is the week every wally AND his dog will head for the hills for their once a year/lifetime trip making any bad mouthing next week a total non-issue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There still is a good chance that we will get some snow up here before next weekend of course...let's hope :snow:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

awf170 said:

OK, I'm game. What's your definition of "good"?

28 years ago when I was learning things were pretty "marginal" by today's standards. We never had a trail that was fully covered, there was always boilerplate shiney enough you could shave in your reflection and there was always grass and dirt along the way, and a large rock or three that no one took an effort to get out of the trail. Certainly resorts have come a long way.

I would argue that most people have gotten pretty fussy about "good enough." I've enjoyed just being outside, so that helps with the attitude. I'm also accomplished enough that I feel comfortable with going first, ask questions later. That is, I don't analyze and strategize. I just go. I tend to ski existentially. I've always enjoyed the unknown, I guess that's part of the fun for me. I recognize it's not for everyone. That doesn't mean I ski carelessly. I still make prudent judgement calls and avoid situations that move the fun-o-meter into the red zone.

Then again, all the reports I write, I still keep families in mind. I've a brood from 9 to 16 YO and a wife who prefers greens and warm days. I would never write optomistically about an area that the beginner couldn't enjoy him/herself. If there was a bad trail, marginal conditions, I'd be the first to tell you about it. That's also one reason why you don't see many reports from me in March. I don't like it either, so there I draw the line.

Sure, I'd love to have powder days, but in 28 years, I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them in the Northeast. So I'll make lemonade out of lemons. I'm sure you would too.

What makes it fun for you?

Greg

Staff member

thetrailboss said:
I'm glad that someone read and understood what I said rather than reading something else into it! :roll:
Yikes. This miss for you guys really sent you into a tizzy... :-? :eek: :wink:

My father-in-law skied Sugarbush Friday and Saturday and said it was pretty good. So your question is: How does 2 feet of snow in NYC improve the skiing? Well, I'm not in NYC, but the 15" we got will certainly improve the skiing for Brian and me tonight... :p ;)

BeanoNYC

LVNLARG said:
Point on point... NYC weekend warriors for the most part DON'T EVEN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND BAD SKIING. My point was...which has been echoed big time...it get's them going. If they don't see snow in their back yards...they think the same is true at the resorts. A lot of them DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SNOWMAKING IS. 22" in NYC will send every once a year/once a lifetime skier running for the mountains in every direction which will do an immense amount of good for the skiing industry in the North East on a whole. If this hadn't occured the once-a-year's resorts count on showing up may not have gone at all this year. The spike this will bring may be enough to even save some from bankruptcy. I don't even think bad reports enters into it as this week/next weekend is the week every wally AND his dog will head for the hills for their once a year/lifetime trip making any bad mouthing next week a total non-issue.

I think the olympics will have a lot to do with the turnout this season, as well.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
true

BeanoNYC said:
LVNLARG said:

I think the olympics will have a lot to do with the turnout this season, as well.

That's so true. Many people only go once a year. Then again, it's understandable, given how expensive sport it is. They do spend a considerable time off-piste drinking and eating...

Skier75

We're in southern New Hampshire....looks like about maybe, 6" here. I don't think the mountains got as much as we'd hope for. :( Oh, well better luck next time. It keeps slowing down and then a little heavier, and back to light.

John84

Checking in from down "South". When I measured early in the morning (7am) there was 11 inches on my front stoop and 13 in the grass. However, the sun came out and the temperature got up to 45 so the snow is down to about 8-9 inches on the grass now.

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
From Accuweather:

Snowfall reports for the Blizzard of 2006

Redding, CT: 28.0" (SnowMatrix)
Newton Center, MA: 26.0" (SnowMatrix)
FARMINGTON & W. HARTFORD, CT: 25.0"
CENTRAL PARK ZOO, NY: 22.8"
COLUMBIA, MD: 22.5"
Topton, PA: 22.0" (SnowMatrix)
RANDALLSTOWN, MD: 22.0"
South Glastonbury, CT: 22.0" (SnowMatrix)
AVON, CT: 22.0"
WEST CALN TOWNSHIP, PA: 21.0"
WILBRAHAM, MA: 21.0"
EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ: 20.5"
Glenmore, PA: 20.0" (SnowMatrix)
CHRISTIANA, PA: 20.0"
NEWARK & RANDOLPH TWP., NJ: 20.0"
HAMPDEN, MA: 20.0"
NEW CITY, NY: 19.9"
Ho Ho Kus, NJ: 19.5" (SnowMatrix)
Fairfield, NJ: 19.0" (SnowMatrix)
ROBBINSVILLE, NC: 19.0" BULADEAN, NC: 17.0"
BULL RUN MTN, VA: 15.0"
HOLLIS, NH: 15.0"
FAIRFAX & VIENNA, VA: 14.0"
Wilmington, DE: 14.0" (SnowMatrix)
NEWARK, DE: 14.0"
WILMINGTON AIRPORT, DE: 14.0"
WOONSOCKET, RI: 13.0"
Haymarket, VA: 12.0" (SnowMatrix)
Cumberland, RI: 12.0" (SnowMatrix)
N. KINGSTOWN, W. WARWICK, RI: 12.0"
Montgomery Village, MD: 11.9" (SnowMatrix)
HUDSON, NH: 11.5"
HEDGESVILLE, WV: 11.0"
KENNEBUNK, ME: 11.0" HARPERS FERRY, WV: 10.5"
CLOSPLINT, KY: 10.5"
CAPITOL HILL, DC: 8.8"
WASHINGTON, DC: 8.1"
NEWFOUND GAP, TN: 8.0"
Elizabethtown, TN: 8.0" (SnowMatrix)
SOUTH BERWICK, ME: 8.0"
ANACOSTIA, DC: 8.0"
IRVINE, KY: 5.0"
MOUNTAIN CITY, GA: 5.0"
DESOTO & TUNICA COUNTY, MS: 4.0"
DUNKLIN COUNTY, MO: 4.0"
CRITTENDEN COUNTY, AR: 4.0"
NEWFANE, VT: 3.3"
MARLBORO, VT: 2.4"

Kentucky got more snow than I did. I'm still grateful for it though. Made my day.

LVNLARG

Glad I wasn't trying to connect to anywhere thru Newark today :eek: Weather is something that usually doesn't even enter your thoughts when booking something going thru there...