• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Price of Gas

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stephen said:
Another factor: No domestic oil expansion (thanks liberals)

The fact that we have exhausted much of our domestic oil reserve (in the Earth that is) is not a liberal/conservative issue. :wink:

If you're referring to ANWAR (which I believe you are...) there is much doubt as to the amount of oil in that area...many projections indicate that it is LOWER than we thought and not worth the efforts to get it. That makes no sense at all.

What we need to do is continue to develop new energy sources while continuing to clean up what we've done rather than sidestep the issue :roll:

ctenidae

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is jumping at the chance to drill in ANWR. It's too expensive, it's too big, and there's more than likely too little oil, anwyay. Plus Alaska is all set to raise the taxes on oil in the pipeline, making it even more expensive to get the oil out. One estimate I saw said oil would need to triple in price before it was economically feasible to drill ANWR. We'll get the Russian government to change their mind on Siberia long before that. As for other expansion, Texas and Oklahoma are pretty much tapped out for oil, but are still producing natural gas, as is Arkansas. There has been a slow down in exploration in the Gulf, that is partially due to environmental concerns, but is mostly due to the easy wells already being drilled. Deep water's expensive and dificult to operate in.
So, it's in no way a liberal/conservative issue, except that, since the environment is involved in any way it's convenient and easy to slam "liberals". And if by "liberal" you mean concerned about the environment and our dependency on foreign oil, then sign me up.

dmc

thetrailboss said:
What we need to do is continue to develop new energy sources while continuing to clean up what we've done rather than sidestep the issue :roll:

YES!!! But we need the trillions we're spending on this horrible war to do it... (Thanks Conservatives)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I try to do my part by turning off any lights or appliances that aren't being used...and encouraging others to do so :wink:

To be conservation minded, in my opinion, is a sign of strength and not weakness.

BeanoNYC

dmc said:
thetrailboss said:

YES!!! But we need the trillions we're spending on this horrible war to do it... (Thanks Conservatives)

Over the Oil companies lobbyists' dead bodies!

dmc

thetrailboss said:

We are getting hammered by Bush and Company to deal with Social Security... RUSH RUSH RUSH....

What about our energy problems!???

The dude is legacy fishing... Can't solve the oil crunch and not piss off all his Texas and Sauidi friends... So he's going for SS...

What an ass...

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:
thetrailboss said:

Over the Oil companies lobbyists' dead bodies!
'

...word....

Paul

Stephen said:

cover0925-jimjones2.jpg

Have another glass of Kool-Aid, W mixed it all by himself this time!

dmc

Paul said:
Stephen said:

cover0925-jimjones2.jpg

You better start fearing GWB or he'll raise the terror level again... :)

Paul

dmc said:
Paul said:
Stephen said:

cover0925-jimjones2.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot. Is it still at "Puce," or has it been elevated to "Off-Mauve?"

dmc

Paul said:
dmc said:
Paul said:
Stephen said:

cover0925-jimjones2.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot. Is it still at "Puce," or has it been elevated to "Off-Mauve?"

Red... As in "red state"... Or Red neck...

ctenidae

The energy bill that just got out of committee in the House, in a nutshell:

The legislation would create mandatory reliability standards for the nation's transmission grid operators, increase oil and gas exploration on federal lands, speed up permit approval for the construction of new refineries, authorize funding for clean coal projects, and mandate the use of 5 billion gallons of the corn-based fuel additive ethanol annually.

Republicans defeated dozens of attempts by Democrats to alter the bill that would have required the U.S. to reduce oil consumption, raised fuel economy standards for vehicles, and required utilities to produce a portion of their electricity from renewable resources all failed.

From the article on www.marketwatch.com

thetrailboss

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Republicans defeated dozens of attempts by Democrats to alter the bill that would have required the U.S. to reduce oil consumption, raised fuel economy standards for vehicles, and required utilities to produce a portion of their electricity from renewable resources all failed.

Sounds like the same "bury your head in the sand" tactics they used in the late 1990's. :dunce:

ctenidae

It's kind of funny, because it's typical of the reversal in Republican ideology I see. Used to be, the conservatives said "Spend less". Not so much so anymore. Things keep up, the Democrats are going to be the fiscally responsible ones.

dmc

ctenidae said:
It's kind of funny, because it's typical of the reversal in Republican ideology I see. Used to be, the conservatives said "Spend less". Not so much so anymore. Things keep up, the Democrats are going to be the fiscally responsible ones.

GWB is running us into the gutter... He's works best when the dollar is devalued...
It keeps his control on us to push his agenda...

J

Jaime86

Well prices here in Michigan are SLOWLY going down. I am a thriving college student, going to school full-time and working part-time...still living at home and I can BARELY afford to get to and from work and school everyday. In Mt. Pleasant, MI...gas is still about $2.42 for 87 octane...but in Big Rapids...which is only about 1 and 1/2 hours away...it's about $2.27...which it was just $2.38 a few days ago...so slowly but surely...I am sure that by this time next week it will probably have gone up again...so much for summer vacation...

hammer

Has anyone here gone the diesel route?

I realize that the pollution situation with diesels isn't the greatest, but from what I've read, they appear to do better in terms of overall mileage.

I've had a few diesels as rentals when I've traveled to Germany, and they seemed to have decent performance...

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
Has anyone here gone the diesel route?

I realize that the pollution situation with diesels isn't the greatest, but from what I've read, they appear to do better in terms of overall mileage.

I've had a few diesels as rentals when I've traveled to Germany, and they seemed to have decent performance...

But isn't diesel more expensive per gallon, which washes out the savings one gets from higher mileage?