• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Price of Gas

ctenidae

They're close to getting the Smart Cars approved for US safety standards. Last I heard, they should be importing them in 2006. Price will be higher than $12K, I'm sure. They are very cool, though I don't know how well they'll do in the US- probably not much good on the highway, which is where we do too much of our driving, anyway. They're all over Paris, and it's amazing the parking spots they fit into.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Interesting looking car...looks like it backed into a brick wall. How well does it do in an accident?

Bush does bear some of the responsibility for the high price of gas but many of the reasons already mentioned are to blame as well.

While recycling and personal conservation is increasing every year it doesn't take too many Hummers to tip the balance the other way.

The Saudis have told us they would be happy to pump more crude but it's pointless in that our production capacity/refineries are already topped out. While our thirst/need for the black gold has increased, no new refineries have been built in the last 20 years.

Until the demand slows down you better get used to these prices.

Greg

Staff member

awf170

i bet i will see some really small asian lady driving it around lynn, even though she will never have anyone else in it or ever leave lynn

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stephen said:
FINALLY! Something large enough to tote my family and all the gear for a week long camping trip! :lol:

And help melt the polar ice cap, kill the trees with acid rain, and help contribute to more breathing/asthma problems in your kids!!! I can't wait!!! :roll: :dunce:

awf170

Stephen said:
FINALLY! Something large enough to tote my family and all the gear for a week long camping trip! :lol:

-Stephen

and u wouldnt even need to go to a campground, u could just set up the tent in the truck bed :lol:

awf170

Greg said:
hammer said:
For you big vehicle fans out there...I read an article in the Boston Globe about the 2005 International CXT-Commercial Xtreme Truck:

At about twice a Hummer's weight, the Xtreme is just plain BIG

They don't even put air bags in this truck...I guess they figure that you will just drive over any cars or SUVs in your path. :-?
That's just retarded:

http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/images/cxt_intl_yellow.jpg
and if the one in that link isnt big enough here is the full size 4 door
http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/images/cxt_intl_red.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i keep getting passed on the highway by people doing 80+ MPH. it struck me that no real change is going to occur until gas prices get high enough that no one drives faster than 55mph, which from my understanding is the most cost efficient speed without loosing a rediculous amount of time. it would seriously save most of us hundreds of dollars a year. but the cost of gas clearly isn't high enough for most people to act, most people just like to complain but still keep buying ineffiecent vehicles and burning gas like crazy.

skijay

Gas up in the Eastern Townships (Quebec, CA) is .974 per liter for regular unleaded. 3.7 liters is 1 gallon. That makes gas about $3.60 a gallon or $2.92 in US$ Gas has always cost more up there.

loafer89

The price of gas was $2.15 for regular in Rutland on sunday. Here at home it's $2.35 - $2.45 for the same gas. :evil:

pedxing

I'm definitely trying to keep my highway speed down - but that means leaving for work on time, so its often 70 to work and 55 - 60 coming home. 55 does save about 15% on gas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i keep getting passed on the highway by people doing 80+ MPH. it struck me that no real change is going to occur until gas prices get high enough that no one drives faster than 55mph, which from my understanding is the most cost efficient speed without loosing a rediculous amount of time. it would seriously save most of us hundreds of dollars a year. but the cost of gas clearly isn't high enough for most people to act, most people just like to complain but still keep buying ineffiecent vehicles and burning gas like crazy.

We've kept our speed down as well and I too notice folks driving way too fast. :roll:

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
riverc0il said:

We've kept our speed down as well and I too notice folks driving way too fast. :roll:

Its amazing how fast it seems like people are driving when you're going the speed limit. :eek:

hammer

bvibert said:
Its amazing how fast it seems like people are driving when you're going the speed limit. :eek:
It's amazing when you're going 10 - 15 MPH over as well...

In any case, I tend to think that higher gas prices may result in people purchasing smaller vehicles, but I doubt that it will do anything to slow people down.

bvibert

Staff member
hammer said:
In any case, I tend to think that higher gas prices may result in people purchasing smaller vehicles, but I doubt that it will do anything to slow people down.

I agree, most people wouldn't make the connection...