• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Price of Gas

ctenidae

Trailboss- Yup. Makes no sense. I remember when diesel was cheaper than gas, lo these many years ago...

dmc

hammer said:
Has anyone here gone the diesel route?

My carpool partner drives a diesle Jetta...
Get incredible gas mileage... He's going to start buying his diesle gas in bulk somehow..

Funny thing is people are CONSTANTLY asking him if he's check the oil(cause it rattles) or coming up to him at gas stations and warning him he's using the deisle pump...

Great car... A little stinky but really cool...

hammer

thetrailboss said:
But isn't diesel more expensive per gallon, which washes out the savings one gets from higher mileage?
You're right, but isn't the cost difference due more to taxes than to the "cost to produce"?

In Germany, diesel was actually cheaper...

bvibert

Staff member
Diesel is more than gas these days, but you get much better MPG, so its still gonna cost you less because you'll have to stop less for fuel. Plus its not that hard to convert you diesel into running on used vegtable oil (alot of restaurants will give it to you for free since they have to pay to get rid of it..) or other alternative fuels.

dmc

bvibert said:
Diesel is more than gas these days, but you get much better MPG, so its still gonna cost you less because you'll have to stop less for fuel. Plus its not that hard to convert you diesel into running on used vegtable oil (alot of restaurants will give it to you for free since they have to pay to get rid of it..) or other alternative fuels.

Isnt diesle the same thing as heating oil?

ctenidae

Diesel's more refined and lighter than heating oil. Very similar to kerosene, though.
Used cooking oil- it does work, but then your car smells like a french...oops, Freedom Fry.

Paul

bvibert said:
ctenidae said:
Used cooking oil- it does work, but then your car smells like a french...oops, Freedom Fry.

I fail to see the problem there... ;)
The problem is that you'd always be hungry, and have to stop at McDonald's, and become a lardass, and file a suit against fast food, and rack-up lawyer fees, and...and...and.... :D

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Don't forget about methane, popular round these parts, bet the fry cars smell better. :D

Crude has retreated this week to around 50 bucks a barrel...will it go down to 40 or back up to 50 and beyond....?

Wind and solar does work and will reduce our dependence on oil. Nothing new there. Right now the supply side is fine but with an ever hungry China, no new refineries, the future doesn't look too good right now. The record trade and budget deficits are not helping. We now spend on our military more than all of the countries in the world combined.

Here is an example of wind power on a semi-large scale, reletive to Vermont, that you can see on the ridge heading west from Wilmington.
http://www.gmpvt.com/whoweare/searsburg.shtml

Congress needs to forget about ANWR and start thinking more about wind and solar.

ctenidae

Lengthy, but very well-written article re: environmentalists:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/05/issue/feature_earth.asp

Oil's not going to drop to $40, probably ever, and you can bet that gas prices aren't going to drop much. If we ever see it under $2 a gallon again, I'll be very much surprised. We'll soon see the needed economic incentives to change our energy policy. I hope.

Mike P.

Change policy? Even in Boston the Mayor refused to exchange his Expedition for a Hybrid Escape! Obviously the AMC based in Boston is not politicing in Boston. :idea:

Am I to think Dubya is going to reverse the SUV tax credit & give them breaks for Prius' Not holding my breath for that to happen. For the short term can I get my Social Security personal savings account in Mobil & Exxon stock? Which business is going to manage that, Citigroup or which ever bank or investment firm gave the GOP the most $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mike P. said:
Change policy? Even in Boston the Mayor refused to exchange his Expedition for a Hybrid Escape! Obviously the AMC based in Boston is not politicing in Boston. :idea:

Agreed. Lots of hypocrisy. Just remember that AMC is an OUTDOORS RECREATION LAND USE organization and not exactly a conservation group like the Sierra Club, but I agree with the thrust of the point.

dmc

Mike P. said:
For the short term can I get my Social Security personal savings account in Mobil & Exxon stock?

BAW HAW HAW...

Funny...

skijay

Has anybody ever noticed that your car may run better or get better gas mileage with diffeent brands of gas?

For me Mobil gives the lowest mpg.
I used to buy Sunoco but discovered Hess gives better mileage and is cheaper.

thetrailboss

Staff member
skijay said:
Has anybody ever noticed that your car may run better or get better gas mileage with diffeent brands of gas?

For me Mobil gives the lowest mpg.
I used to buy Sunoco but discovered Hess gives better mileage and is cheaper.

Might have to do with water content.

We have good luck with Hess.

Your car's performance might better explain what you are noticing though...

MtnMagic

Prices here are dropping nicely and I read an article last week in USA Toady that prices could fall .25 a gallon by summer. Even if the price increased, I'd still hike the Whites, then again I don't have far to travel.

hammer

If you're complaining about the cost of gas, just be glad you don't live in California...

When I was there for vacation last week, the prices for regular unleaded varied from $2.55 - $2.85 per gallon. This was the first time for me that a fill-up pushed the $50 mark. :eek: