• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tux 2014 - Who's thinking about it?

yeggous

My ski club is going 4/26. Our sister club is going 4/12.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Looking across the notch from Wildcat last weekend it looked pretty loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Bumpsis

Got a report from a friend who was there just a couple of days ago. Tux is prime right now, catch it at right temps and it's a dry cornfest.
Best part, Sherby has good cover all the way to the parking lot, so no hiking out.

Haven't done Tux in 3 years now :( due to some chronic tendon injuries. Just not in shape enough to lug 35 lb of downhill ski gear up to the ravine and then climb another 800 some vertical feet to the top of the ravine. Too bad, it's a real rush taking those steeps.
May be I'll manage to do just the Little Headwall and then the Sherby back down. Or just try to sit this out this year and work for a better conditioning next year.
If the conditions on Sherby stay good through 4/24, I may get up there. Taking a few days off that week.

Oh, does anyone know how long Sugarbush plans to stay open?

twinplanx

I have been thinking about for almost 10 years. But it's an eight hour drive from here. May sound lame but it also takes some planning & a lot of luck to score prime conditions in there...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Pa. Patroller

Have been there 13 times I think.
Maybe more. Sometimes late (Memorial Day) sometimes early (last weekend in march).
Have skied it in the the pouring down rain probably more then sunny. Once frozen solid and smooth as the kitchen counter.
Have had a fantastic time every time. Go with a good friend for emergency backup. Do your homework. Learn from others. And it will be the time of your life.
PS I live 8-1/2 to 9 hrs away.
Eastern pa.
Also lots of skiing there besides just "the ravine"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pa. Patroller

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397177695.916826.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397177742.726800.jpg
Plenty of snow on the ground last weekend of march this year.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
View attachment 12316View attachment 12317
Plenty of snow on the ground last weekend of march this year.

Whooly cow.!!!!...been there 3 times and leaving tomorrow for a Saturday trip....never seen it like that.
Most of my group is hiking but I'm skinning so i think i'll be Ok, heard the trails been slushy , How's the hike?

Pa. Patroller

We skinned all the way to the ravine floor and up the run out of lobster claw.
Booted with and ice ax up lobster then skins again to the AT above lake of the clouds. Crampons on and a scramble to the summit.
Then skied down the cog. Very wind blown on the west side. Fair amount of walking near the top. Then down to a buddy who drove us back to Pinkham.

dlague

My brother-in-law guides friends and has been trying to get me to go! It is on my bucket list for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That 'ship' is gonna be sailing for months. I'd like to get there before Sherburne melts out though.
Last year had to walk 3/4 mi out....It sucks. Started too late in the day and had a rough icy run , 1hr earlier it was nice corn. Have to watch the weather carefully
The AMC website updates Pinkham Notch snow ...still 40'' today, i'd say you have plenty of time this year. next weeks going to be cooler.

Pa. Patroller

Hey Silicone,
I see your in Lehigh county, I'm an Emmaus Address. I wonder if we know each other? I also Patrol at Blue.

Angus

Oh, does anyone know how long Sugarbush plans to stay open?

Was there yesterday. Lot's of snow but needed 30-40' shoveled snow to get back to Castlerock lift...it will be closed by end of w/e at the latest but everything was open including rumble which skied great.

they have a lot of snow on top of mountain and more snow on things like mall (which is what they had open last May 4) than last year. I'm not a frequent skier there but seems like run out access to valley lift is the biggest constraint on staying open late with a lot of terrain open up higher.

Riding up with some regulars they all figure the place will go to first week of May again barring major warmup.

catsup948

I haven't been to tucks since 2009. It's hard to plan and make the 3.5 hour drive when I have several hike and ski options less than 90 minutes from here. I would love to get back there later in the spring though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk