• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ctdubl07

Heads up on the online auction for the chairs. My kids sorely wanted the golden chair from recent Sundance replacement auction at MS. I was half cocktailed on a boat in Keys when I bid last minute….assumed it was a proxy bid auction but it was a straight bid platform. Ended up paying $1K over necessary but F-it, hopefully it goes to Valley people.

Hawk

Yikes. That is a ton of money for a chair.
I paid $250 for my Valley House double chair at Sugarbush. But it is Vail afterall. $$$$ ;-)

drjeff

Yikes. That is a ton of money for a chair.
I paid $250 for my Valley House double chair at Sugarbush. But it is Vail afterall. $$$$ ;-)
Honestly the way they did the chair auction at Mount Snow, it was all market driven. If you wanted a specific chair you could bid on it while the auction was open. If you didn't care what number chair you got, you could generic bid for one.

If I recall correctly, this highest bid, for one of the Golden chairs, was well over $1000, however many of the random numbered chairs that didn't have anyone specifically bidding on that number, went for the minimum bid, which I think was $150.

I know that 11yrs ago when they put the Bluebird in and they sold off triples from the Summit Local and Quads from the new chairs they hung on the Grand Summit, I believe I paid $200 or maybe $250 a piece, for the triple and quad that I have in my backyard now

Hawk

Sugarbush was first come, first serve. Win put out an email and they filled the orders based on when they got the response. THe VH chairs were vintage wood slats and the one I got was in very good condition. I pulled them off, sanded and painted them Vermont Green and replace the bolts with stainless carrage bolts. It looks great on my deck. I could not fit a quad and quads are newer and do not have the old look or nostelgia.

Years ago when Hunter took down the old "Z" lift I went over there with my trailer. Meet a guy by the snowmaking shop and he told me to go over to the west side to pick one out. I picked two of them.
I have one Z and one Y

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, I guess the Cat is getting new chairs for the Quad. They are auctioning 43 of the old ones off September 18-19.

...either that or they are just not going to have as many chairs on the lift. You know they have to reduce all those crowds this season. ;)

😂

Last edited:

cdskier

Sugarbush was first come, first serve. Win put out an email and they filled the orders based on when they got the response. THe VH chairs were vintage wood slats and the one I got was in very good condition. I pulled them off, sanded and painted them Vermont Green and replace the bolts with stainless carrage bolts. It looks great on my deck. I could not fit a quad and quads are newer and do not have the old look or nostelgia.

Yup...I jumped on that when the e-mail came out back then. When I went to pick up the chair, they even let me pick a number if it wasn't reserved by someone already. I mentioned a couple different numbers and they managed to get me one of the ones I mentioned.

jaytrem

My wife pointed out this place as we were heading down the shore today...

drjeff

Saw a stat on liftblog about the charity chair auctions that Vail has done thus far this year. To date, the charity auction sales of the old chairs across the country has generated around 650k for various local charities around the resorts having new installations this year.

Well we can certainly find fault (even myself 😉) with decisions Vail has made, this is a pretty good thing I would think we all can agree upon.

New lifts get installed, folks get a really cool item from a sport they love to use around their residence, and local charities get funds to use and benefit the local communities.

Attached is a picture of my former Mount Snow Summit local triple and Grand Summit Express Quad chairs that went out of service 11yrs ago when they installed the Bluebird that now sit out by my pool.

Attachments

• 20220828_202824.jpg
    20220828_202824.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29

cdskier

Saw a stat on liftblog about the charity chair auctions that Vail has done thus far this year. To date, the charity auction sales of the old chairs across the country has generated around 650k for various local charities around the resorts having new installations this year.

Well we can certainly find fault (even myself 😉) with decisions Vail has made, this is a pretty good thing I would think we all can agree upon.

New lifts get installed, folks get a really cool item from a sport they love to use around their residence, and local charities get funds to use and benefit the local communities.

Attached is a picture of my former Mount Snow Summit local triple and Grand Summit Express Quad chairs that went out of service 11yrs ago when they installed the Bluebird that now sit out by my pool.

I'd be interested to see a break-down of how much has gone to the "EpicPromise" foundation vs local charities. It seems the proceeds from some of their chair auctions at some resorts only go to EpicPromise, while at other resorts it goes to a combination of EpicPromise and local charities (unclear whether it is an even split or not). Money going to local charities is great...money going to EpicPromise is somewhat self-serving. The "Emergency Relief Grants" the foundation provides to employees are fine...but the educational grants to employees or dependents is something that many other companies offer their employees and dependents without setting up a separate charity to provide those funds. So this seems a bit like a way for Vail to get other people to donate money to cover things that Vail should just cover out of their own pocket if it is something they want to do for their employees.

cdskier

My wife pointed out this place as we were heading down the shore today...

LOL. Is this visible from the GSP? I didn't notice it on my way north yesterday on the GSP coming home from the shore. Heading south to the shore I often take the Rt 9 bridge in Sayreville though.

jaytrem

LOL. Is this visible from the GSP? I didn't notice it on my way north yesterday on the GSP coming home from the shore. Heading south to the shore I often take the Rt 9 bridge in Sayreville though.
You can see it from the GSP bridges both ways. South is a better view. Now we know where the money for all those new lifts is coming from.

FBGM

Add Mount Snow to the Vail list of resorts looking for a director of mountain operations. Nothing like trying to fill that position few months before ski season with huge Capitol investment projects ongoing. Surly some cook or beverage manager will be bumped into that position 😂

Cobbold

Add Mount Snow to the Vail list of resorts looking for a director of mountain operations. Nothing like trying to fill that position few months before ski season with huge Capitol investment projects ongoing. Surly some cook or beverage manager will be bumped into that position 😂
What happened to Dave moulton, he just posted an update on Facebook about two weeks ago?

FBGM

What happened to Dave moulton, he just posted an update on Facebook about two weeks ago?
No idea. Kinda surprised he stayed on with the Vail transition to begin with. There was some #2 guy under him for a while, odd ball dude. Not sure if he’s still around?