• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

zyk

Just drove by Attitash. No towers for the new lift, no bottom terminal. Doesn’t look good.
I'll be up the first week of December and I'll see what I can see. That doesn't sound good.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Same. It's literally a scam email intending to deceive their customer base. That company is a serious piece of work.
"ALL RIGHT, I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU!!!! NO EPIC FOR YOU!"

rob_katz_0.jpg

"And because we are so EPIC at being awesome, we have no time to deceive anyone. You're deceiving yourself from seeing our sheer EPIC AWESOMENESS!"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just drove by Attitash. No towers for the new lift, no bottom terminal. Doesn’t look good.

I'll be up the first week of December and I'll see what I can see. That doesn't sound good.

Yeah, this is not good at all. Again, Vail is not a small single ski area and I would have thought that LPOA would be all over getting this lift done and ready on-time. Unless LPOA did not have a set end-date.

I can't believe how far Attitash has fallen. They were the shit in the 1980's and 1990's.

chuckstah

AT towers were supposed to fly yesterday and today. Rescheduled to Monday and Tuesday. Looks way behind but I'll make a point to go once and ride it if it's ever finished. Miss skiing there midweek, but stopped going due to poor ops, and that POS lift.

drjeff

Yeah, this is not good at all. Again, Vail is not a small single ski area and I would have thought that LPOA would be all over getting this lift done and ready on-time. Unless LPOA did not have a set end-date.

I can't believe how far Attitash has fallen. They were the shit in the 1980's and 1990's.
I thought it was interesting even last season that Vail went with Dopp for the 2 highspeeds they installed at Mount Snow (which previously had only had L/P high speed lifts) and the new 6 pack at Stowe. I haven't been able to read as to who they're having install the new 6 pack at Hunter for next year? You'd think that if L/P has fallen out of Vail's graces for some reason the last few years, that they'd want to make sure that the installation at Attitash was running as smooth and quickly as Mother Nature allows.... :unsure::unsure:

icecoast1

I thought it was interesting even last season that Vail went with Dopp for the 2 highspeeds they installed at Mount Snow (which previously had only had L/P high speed lifts) and the new 6 pack at Stowe. I haven't been able to read as to who they're having install the new 6 pack at Hunter for next year? You'd think that if L/P has fallen out of Vail's graces for some reason the last few years, that they'd want to make sure that the installation at Attitash was running as smooth and quickly as Mother Nature allows.... :unsure::unsure:

Common sense would have been to just stick with what works until it doesn't, in this case having dopp do the lift. But this is vail we are talking about...

machski

Well, isn't Stowe's Forerunner a Dopp? So that would make sense there. Don't know about Mount Snow, perhaps Dopp had more capacity back East last year for installs than L-P? Pretty sure Mountaineer went L-P as Dopp was all but maxed otherwise in the East already.

As to Mountaineer, remember the terminals are modular and can be erected rapidly as long as the foundation anchors are set and ready. The top terminal is already in place, once towers fly I think many may be surprised how quickly this thing comes together. That is the one advantage L-P has over Dopp is the modular build of their terminals.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Vail goes with whichever manufacturer is cheapest. That's all they care about. Shareholder value.

I would think it's also about spreading across manufacturers to not overwhelm. Covid also exposed how fragile supply chains for these lifts are... us in North America are minimal priority for these manufacturers who are doing massive amounts of business in Europe.

doublediamond

We are definitely not “minimal priority”

Last year North America (USA + Canada) was Doppelmayr’s largest market making up 28% of total sales.

machski

I would think it's also about spreading across manufacturers to not overwhelm. Covid also exposed how fragile supply chains for these lifts are... us in North America are minimal priority for these manufacturers who are doing massive amounts of business in Europe.
Yeah, not so sure on that one ss20. A decade ago, sure I'd agree. But Dopp has huge pull on this side now and L-P is building their huge new manufacturing campus in Utah right now. Pretty sure NA is on their radar and dialed in.