• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
Fun day at Okemo. One long run from the top, and one trail from the beginner View attachment 59495View attachment 59496lift at the bottom
"Dude, that is SO EPIC! High five!"

VD_VD200610060404018AR.jpg

drjeff

Fun day at Okemo. One long run from the top, and one trail from the beginner View attachment 59495View attachment 59496lift at the bottom
How were the snow conditions? I'm thinking about making the drive up 100 tomorrow morning if the likely green blob on the radar image isn't too crazy, to get a few laps in on the new boots I just finished up getting fit for

chuckstah

How were the snow conditions? I'm thinking about making the drive up 100 tomorrow morning if the likely green blob on the radar image isn't too crazy, to get a few laps in on the new boots I just finished up getting fit for
Good cover ttb. Trails weren't quite full width, but close enough. Skied off and firm down the middle in spots with plenty of spring snow around. A few bumps in spots but nothing good. I'd say it's worth the effort if it doesn't freeze solid overnight.

drjeff

Good cover ttb. Trails weren't quite full width, but close enough. Skied off and firm down the middle in spots with plenty of spring snow around. A few bumps in spots but nothing good. I'd say it's worth the effort if it doesn't freeze solid overnight.
Thanks for the in person detailed report!

Zand

This might be the first time ever that I wish I had Epic. They're definitely winning the Vermont battle for early season. Not worth driving to Sugarbush for Gatehouse and definitely not doing the Killington shit show, but I'd definitely be up for Okemo or Stowe's offerings right now.

Also...LMFAO at Okemo for charging $103 for a day ticket on a Tuesday in November for one trail. I was actually prepared to buy a day ticket for 60-70 but fuck them.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Also...LMFAO at Okemo for charging $103 for a day ticket on a Tuesday in November for one trail. I was actually prepared to buy a day ticket for 60-70 but fuck them.
“Watch your mouth buddy thats basically charity giving away an EPIC experience for so cheap, my appetizers are more expensive than that”
IMG_5868.jpeg

chuckstah

This might be the first time ever that I wish I had Epic. They're definitely winning the Vermont battle for early season. Not worth driving to Sugarbush for Gatehouse and definitely not doing the Killington shit show, but I'd definitely be up for Okemo or Stowe's offerings right now.

Sunday River maybe? $103 is ridiculous. A non Epic friend wanted to go today. Same result after seeing the price. F that. You can still get an Epic day pass for another day or 2 but I don't think they are much less.

Zand

Sunday River maybe? $103 is ridiculous. A non Epic friend wanted to go today. Same result after seeing the price. F that. You can still get an Epic day pass for another day or 2 but I don't think they are much less.
Thought about SR...it's a 3:45 ride for me which is probably further than I want to drive for an early season day trip, but I've done it a few times before. Definitely the best Ikon option available right now.

Wish Loon and Waterville were still as aggressive as they used to be.

urungus

Do not buy day tickets directly from Epic mountains … Epic day pass with non-holiday Okemo access still available for $88 (still a lot for one trail)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do not buy day tickets directly from Epic mountains … Epic day pass with non-holiday Okemo access still available for $88 (still a lot for one trail)
This.

They are forcing you to buy a pass. We’ve been saying this for years now. There’s no sense in complaining about day ticket rates. The calculus is that one will remember that Epic delivered earlier and that folks will leap for the discounted pass since day tickets are high.

Last edited:

machski

Thought about SR...it's a 3:45 ride for me which is probably further than I want to drive for an early season day trip, but I've done it a few times before. Definitely the best Ikon option available right now.

Wish Loon and Waterville were still as aggressive as they used to be.
Granted it's further for almost everyone, but Sugarloaf may have the best early options right now. They started off the summit and all the way back to Superquad with a few options in the middle.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd like to hear a yield management officer's explanation on early season day ticket pricing. I get the strategy for regular season to try and force people into passes. I do not get the disappearance of any semblance of early season deals on day tickets.

Take Bretton Woods as an example. Only place open in NH currently . For me to take my 8 year old there tomorrow, it's a 2:15 drive to spend $124 to ski one beginner trail. Granted, it's a pretty long and wide trail to spread people out. But still, $124 for an adult and child to ski Range View only? I can't justify it. It seems like a rip off.

Now if that same product was available for $90, I'd go. And I'd probably also spend the additional $34 in the cafeteria. Maybe I'd buy my son a T Shirt or hat too as he's never been there.

So, what's the math? Show me the estimated numbers . How many customers like me are they missing out on because they reject their value proposition vs those still willing to spend $124 for Range View?

What is also the lost opportunity cost for attracting potential 2025 season pass purchases because people refuse to check the place out because of the price? That's really what I look at early season efforts at ski areas to be designed for. Basically product advertisement. Because those same people who refuse $124 early season are certainly likely to also not jump at mid season rates of $200+ for an adult and child. So why not try and rope these folks in by offering a fair value in November?

Edd

I'd like to hear a yield management officer's explanation on early season day ticket pricing. I get the strategy for regular season to try and force people into passes. I do not get the disappearance of any semblance of early season deals on day tickets.

Take Bretton Woods as an example. Only place open in NH currently . For me to take my 8 year old there tomorrow, it's a 2:15 drive to spend $124 to ski one beginner trail. Granted, it's a pretty long and wide trail to spread people out. But still, $124 for an adult and child to ski Range View only? I can't justify it. It seems like a rip off.

Now if that same product was available for $90, I'd go. And I'd probably also spend the additional $34 in the cafeteria. Maybe I'd buy my son a T Shirt or hat too as he's never been there.

So, what's the math? Show me the estimated numbers . How many customers like me are they missing out on because they reject their value proposition vs those still willing to spend $124 for Range View?

What is also the lost opportunity cost for attracting potential 2025 season pass purchases because people refuse to check the place out because of the price? That's really what I look at early season efforts at ski areas to be designed for. Basically product advertisement. Because those same people who refuse $124 early season are certainly likely to also not jump at mid season rates of $200+ for an adult and child. So why not try and rope these folks in by offering a fair value in November?
I wonder if it’s an operations concern? As in, not enticing too many people to crowd a sliver of early season terrain. I used to charge hard for WROD at Sunday River and, oh Lord, what a shitshow those days could be. And those were days when the early tix really were cheap.

thebigo

I wonder if it’s an operations concern? As in, not enticing too many people to crowd a sliver of early season terrain. I used to charge hard for WROD at Sunday River and, oh Lord, what a shitshow those days could be. And those were days when the early tix really were cheap.
This. Early season is a reward for passholders, cheap day tickets dilutes the experience.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I mean sure, but do you guys honestly think that's the mindset outside of the pass holder only opening days?

These are the same companies that sell dirt cheap passes that result in massive overcrowding during the season.

I really don't think they give much of a shit about crowding any day of the year.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I mean sure, but do you guys honestly think that's the mindset outside of the pass holder only opening days?

These are the same companies that sell dirt cheap passes that result in massive overcrowding during the season.

I really don't think they give much of a shit about crowding any day of the year.

What's attracted more negative PR this week? Okemo charging $124 for a single trail at opening, or the viral video from Mammoth showing all of California skiing down to Broadway?