• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, all Vail NH areas are open with Attitash and Crotched opening today. Let's see, Crotched is off the Rocket with 2/3 runs TTB, Attitash is off the Progression Quad only with 2 runs. WTF!!!
I can only presume that the lift construction delayed Attitash from opening. I know that the Summit Quad is still not ready, but having heavy equipment in that area does not mix well with paying customers. Honestly, I never really thought of Attitash as an early opener anyways.

BenedictGomez

I think the Olympics should 100% come back there for a few reasons.

1 - all facilities and infrastructure are there, built, being used and fine. Don’t need to spend billions building more.

2 - it might kick the state and ski areas in the ass some to improve some traffic flow and roads all some of the traffic shit.

3 - airport is new and SLC can handle some temp influx of people and staff and whatnot. Ski areas can’t, but SLC has enough beds.

Down fall is traffic even worse, prices will be even worse, Vail will fuck something up with it, the Mormons will fuck something up with it

Well, now that the Olympics coming back to Utah is a done deal, it's true all (literally) the same 2002 venues/sites will be reused next time. I thought maybe something would get changed up (I was hoping downhill would be at Park City), but not the case.

The news yesterday showed pictures of flipping through the bid package. It was quick, but I was able to rewind and freeze on each page, and everything is literally the same, site, even curling being up in Weber County and Cross Country & Biathlon in Midway. Only thing I'm not sure of is it just said "Alpine Skiing" at Snowbasin with no elaboration, and I didnt see or I missed if Slalom & Giant Slalom will be in Park City again like 2002 or not, so it's possible that is a change & all alpine will be at Snowbasin. Not sure. And for that dopey new Big Air event they're going to do like what China did & put it right in Salt Lake City, which seems a questionable decision to me if there's an inversion, but whatever. The other sports that werent Olympic events in 2002 are Skier Cross & Snowboard Cross, and those events will be up at the Utah Olympic Park in Park City. There's another sport being hosted up there as well, but I couldnt figure out what the abbreviation meant (everything was abbreviated, like SX and SBX you had to deduce meant Skier & Snowboard Cross).

Last edited:

drjeff

I can only presume that the lift construction delayed Attitash from opening. I know that the Summit Quad is still not ready, but having heavy equipment in that area does not mix well with paying customers. Honestly, I never really thought of Attitash as an early opener anyways.
It's been a few decades since Attitash has been an early(er) player..

My grandparents (now just grandmother who is still kicking at 102.5yrs old!!) live about an hour South of Attitash along the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, and my Thanksgiving plans used to always be in NH, and I could count on Thanksgiving morning or Black Friday turns at either Attitash or Gunstock most years from the late 80's through early 2000's..

Now it seems for many reasons, both administrative and mother nature, that isn't the case anymore

machski

It's been a few decades since Attitash has been an early(er) player..

My grandparents (now just grandmother who is still kicking at 102.5yrs old!!) live about an hour South of Attitash along the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, and my Thanksgiving plans used to always be in NH, and I could count on Thanksgiving morning or Black Friday turns at either Attitash or Gunstock most years from the late 80's through early 2000's..

Now it seems for many reasons, both administrative and mother nature, that isn't the case anymore
We'll se how Attitash plays things next season, as all their major construction projects should be done. Mountaineer install this fall in sure is taking up most of their time and crimps where they can make snow.

ctdubl07

This is just some random info about access but I believe we are headed towards a "fee" for hard passes in the near future if you require a reprint. Mtns are starting to measure the cost of each piece of "media" aka a pass which does add up and are a legitimate expense, just like trail maps were cost/benefited. I also think there is a component of their zero waste campaign here which I do support.

There is a big push to ask customers to either utilize your past season pass, which once you repurchase and sign online waiver, should be activated upon first "swipe" Or to update to the new Epic app and convert your pass over to it, activate bluetooth and have your phone on you at all times.

If your resort utilizes representatives in the base area and they have access to a scanner gun, I highly recommend you seek one out before heading to corrals or go to a ticket window, have your pass scanned and re-validated.

From the tone of a few conversations Ive heard, I feel this may be the next "fee" we all see in our lives.....pass replacement after 1-2 issuances.

ThatGuy

I was showing a girl who works in the ski school with me these memes and she couldn’t believe this guy was actually the former CEO and not a TV character cause of all the obnoxious photos he has. Is there any other executive in history who loves their own picture so much 😂

chuckstah

This is just some random info about access but I believe we are headed towards a "fee" for hard passes in the near future if you require a reprint. Mtns are starting to measure the cost of each piece of "media" aka a pass which does add up and are a legitimate expense, just like trail maps were cost/benefited. I also think there is a component of their zero waste campaign here which I do support.

There is a big push to ask customers to either utilize your past season pass, which once you repurchase and sign online waiver, should be activated upon first "swipe" Or to update to the new Epic app and convert your pass over to it, activate bluetooth and have your phone on you at all times.

If your resort utilizes representatives in the base area and they have access to a scanner gun, I highly recommend you seek one out before heading to corrals or go to a ticket window, have your pass scanned and re-validated.

From the tone of a few conversations Ive heard, I feel this may be the next "fee" we all see in our lives.....pass replacement after 1-2 issuances.
Not sure about this. They sent me a new pass this year for no real reason. It doesn't work. Tried last year's, works fine. Even a super old one works. I guess I'll have them print me yet another one to replace the new one. Stock up just in case. They seem to toss them around at will.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was showing a girl who works in the ski school with me these memes and she couldn’t believe this guy was actually the former CEO and not a TV character cause of all the obnoxious photos he has. Is there any other executive in history who loves their own picture so much 😂
“HEY BITCH, NICE JOB YOU HAVE THERE! IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO IT!!!”

1701568368820.png

(You’d better out her or you’ll be next)

thetrailboss

Staff member

I can see why they want to move away from hard card passes. For a company Vail's size, they must have to purchase hundreds of thousands of these cards.

They also want to be cutting edge with using the phone as the pass.

chuckstah

I can see why they want to move away from hard card passes. For a company Vail's size, they must have to purchase hundreds of thousands of these cards.

They also want to be cutting edge with using the phone as the pass.
A million cards. 20 cents a piece. $200,000. Charge $5 to ship. Sounds like a money maker to me.

BenedictGomez

It's actually an underrated question due to the fact that it's obvious almost all of these photos are very highly staged. In my younger years I used to have to travel a lot and meet with executives of a bunch of publicly traded companies, and I honestly cant give you any kind of comparable example to Katz's demanding camera time.

There are examples where the CEO was literally the marketing campaign (Dave Thomas, John "Papa" Schnatter, etc...), but that's not really the same thing. And of course there are folks like Bill Gates or Elon Musk who are always photographed, but that's because they're really famous and media seek them out. But this is the exact opposite, as it's clear Katz is the one seeking out the photo ops and the attention.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I was showing a girl who works in the ski school with me

Is the high meadow beginner terrain 100% open and in good shape after this recent snow? I need to get my kid a few lessons before those locals clinics start next month, but as of last week it was pretty poor. Thinking it's probably fine after this recent storm?

ctdubl07

A million cards. 20 cents a piece. $200,000. Charge $5 to ship. Sounds like a money maker to me.
The new RFId cards carry a much higher unit cost so globally, the cost is measurable. Additionaly, by pushing towards phone use, there is more data to track which has immense value.

Ive learned that if you have your Epic App open (with linked pass) and bluetooth on plus an active Epic card pass on your person, the card pass will be deactivated and your phone becomes the primary access pass for that day but it should reset 24 hours later and the cycle begins again. I have not tested this yet.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Most areas charge $5 for RFID cards. But based on this forum, one might think that was a "Vail thing."

Most areas opened with one T2B run, and people seem satisfied. But when a Vail owned area opens with 2 or 3 T2Bs, it's not good enough - at least on this thread.

I've noticed over my 50+ years of skiing, that we skierd like to find fault with anything less than a perfect day with 100% open with perfect grooming while simultaneously having perfect-untracked powder. Bitching about something appears to be a "skier-syndrome". I do it too. I suspect a call for objectivity with the AZ crowd might be too much to ask for!