• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ThatGuy

This isn’t Vail related, but I’m continually baffled by the fact Jay Peak doesn’t have a snow stake cam while they constantly announce exorbitant snow totals…

RH29

This isn’t Vail related, but I’m continually baffled by the fact Jay Peak doesn’t have a snow stake cam while they constantly announce exorbitant snow totals…
Jay is absolutely getting those totals at the summit.

ThatGuy

Jay is absolutely getting those totals at the summit.
I think it’s debatable…they definitely get hammered but they also get serious wind and I wouldn’t be surprised if they measure from wind drifted areas. All Im saying is if you want to claim the most snow in the East by a significant margin you should have snowcams to back that up

urungus

snoseek

Cannon doesn't even have a cam at all anymore and yes it bothers the hell out of me

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I am going to take a break from the memes to comment. I do read this and other threads. This thread is aptly named, "VAIL SUCKS" and has been for years now the one thread where people comment and criticize Vail. So to expect folks to be singing Vail's praises in this thread is not realistic. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Second point is that I disagree with your assessment of the feedback regarding early season offerings so far for Vail Resorts. If anything, most folks are actually positive about what they are seeing. Sure, I've seen a couple folks comment that Crotched and Sunapee should have opened earlier, but if one goes into the Stowe thread the comments, reports, and pictures of the ski product all reflect well. I also read some positive reviews of Wildcat. Hell, Win Smith even praised Stowe. For context, Stowe is Sugarbush's arch rival. That is really saying something. I see you have only focused on the negative. So I cannot agree with your assessment.

The third point I will make is that you have only praised Vail, your employer, in this thread. I never see any criticism from you but instead defensive comments. You post here using your real name and not a pseudonym. That's your choice. Frankly, it seems pretty calculated to me to appease to those who supervise you and pay you. That's just my POV.

You resurfaced here last season. Presumably because SnowJournal is likely all but dead these days and you wanted to talk to more than the same handful of people. With that comes different views and perspectives that may not align with yours. If you don't like it here you can always go somewhere else.

That's all. Back to the regularly scheduled program.
Mostly BS on all levels. I would suggest that if you don’t like my posts, you shouldn’t read them! But as moderator, I suspect it is your responsibility to read them.

ThatGuy

Mostly BS on all levels. I would suggest that if you don’t like my posts, you shouldn’t read them! But as moderator, I suspect it is your responsibility to read them.
“Joshua, my great friend…you are a loyal stormtrooper. May you be bestowed the greatest honor and a medal for your valiant service”
BAC0E4C5-4446-415B-BED5-133360299259.jpeg

Mainer

Vail definitely sucked during the pandemic. Sometimes you can go too woke (here’s looking at you bud light). I would say atticat is back to its normal mediocre self. Wildcat is the same as always, attitash is on par with its peak days. ASC attitash was its best times. Probably hitting up wildcat tomorrow if the snow stays frozen.

SLyardsale

Joshua lives on Crotched Mountain and has been through the various ownerships that have operated that mountain. He seems happy with Vail's methods and the way they operate the mountain so he's got the right to his opinion. Dr Jeff seems happy with operations at Mt Snow.
Both are Vail employees.

ThatGuy

Both are Vail employees.
I believe Dr Jeff isn’t a full on Vail employee and also is realistic. He calls it like it is and loves Mt Snow no matter who the owner is. Joshua is allergic to criticism and can’t seem to say anything bad about Vail

drjeff

I believe Dr Jeff isn’t a full on Vail employee and also is realistic. He calls it like it is and loves Mt Snow no matter who the owner is. Joshua is allergic to criticism and can’t seem to say anything bad about Vail
I do get some "Vail bucks" as does my son these days, but we are definitely part time, in support of youth ski racing, folks, not full, or close to full time folks.

I can fully see how for younger folks interested in a ski career, how Vail Resorts is a very appealing company for career progression potential. Heck some of their various training modules I have had to take I have both integrated into my own businesses training concepts and contemplated having my own employees watch.

That being said, the now 45 ski seasons ski addict that I am, both has a bunch of things I like that they have done to my home mountain of 20+yrs and wish they did differently.. Overall more pluses than minuses (pluses on the operations side, minuses on the F&B side which relates to the social side of things that is why my wife and I and when they're home these days, our kids, want to go up to our condo to be with our ski friends who share the same ski addict ski mentality).. If my freshman in college, business/finance major son, who is a USSSA level 1 certified race coach currently, says he wants to work for Vail Corporate out of college vs a Wall St job, I won't feel bad about his advancement potential in a career field he feels passionate about, and we know many people who have both excelled and made a solid living for themselves. It's in his blood for sure!

BenedictGomez

High Meadows looks like a great place for beginners. Nice Lodge there too. Good Luck, hope you have the same success we did and gain a ski buddy for life. The shock is when they start out skiing you and that comes quicker then you can imagine.

That's what we were thinking. It's about 5 minutes further from home each way, but we kind of thought it would be a bit better learning area than the PC side. Plus you can park there for free (assuming it's not full, filled up at 11am today).

BenedictGomez

Vail definitely sucked during the pandemic. Sometimes you can go too woke (here’s looking at you bud light).

Vail is still woke. I went to their Christmas tree lighting at Canyons last week only to find once there they officially called it a "Holiday tree lighting", which is just dumb as s**t because, ummmmmmm, do pray tell exactly "what holiday" are you're referring to Vail?

And frankly I suspect they're probably pissing off far more Christians or even atheists who think "that's idiotic" than they are currying support from far-leftists who think, "oh thank goodness they didnt say it's a Christmas tree" etc....

drjeff

Vail is still woke. I went to their Christmas tree lighting at Canyons last week only to find once there they officially called it a "Holiday tree lighting", which is just dumb as s**t because, ummmmmmm, do pray tell exactly "what holiday" are you're referring to Vail?

And frankly I suspect they're probably pissing off far more Christians or even atheists who think "that's idiotic" than they are currying support from far-leftists who think, "oh thank goodness they didnt say it's a Christmas tree" etc....
100% agree!

It seems to me now atleast, that the pendulum is starting to shift back a touch atleast towards the middle vs the far woke place in shifted to... Granted on the surface it seems like many of their more senior level promotions check off a ton of DEI boxes, but that percentage is decreasing a bit, and some of those past, seemingly DEI 1st promotions are being replaced with demographics who in reality don't have one thinking DEI as part of the equation.

Frankly a quality leader will always rise to the top in the end, regardless of any DEI policing and how long that may take

gittist

They had sooo much snow that both the cam and stake are buried under tons of snow....:snow: