• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

mbedle

The new RFId cards carry a much higher unit cost so globally, the cost is measurable. Additionaly, by pushing towards phone use, there is more data to track which has immense value.

Ive learned that if you have your Epic App open (with linked pass) and bluetooth on plus an active Epic card pass on your person, the card pass will be deactivated and your phone becomes the primary access pass for that day but it should reset 24 hours later and the cycle begins again. I have not tested this yet.
If that is true - that is going to be a nightmare for a lot of people after their phones die mid-day. Can't really see a reason why they would de-activate the card when using the phone as a pass.

machski

Most areas charge $5 for RFID cards. But based on this forum, one might think that was a "Vail thing."

Most areas opened with one T2B run, and people seem satisfied. But when a Vail owned area opens with 2 or 3 T2Bs, it's not good enough - at least on this thread.

I've noticed over my 50+ years of skiing, that we skierd like to find fault with anything less than a perfect day with 100% open with perfect grooming while simultaneously having perfect-untracked powder. Bitching about something appears to be a "skier-syndrome". I do it too. I suspect a call for objectivity with the AZ crowd might be too much to ask for!
Yup, wife left her NE pass at home last weekend. Elected to get her another card rather than burning a day on iKon which was in her bag. Cost us $5 for the new NE Go card. Pretty standard, I suppose the difference is we don't get a new one each year at SR, the old are just gets updated electronically so no new $5 charge each year buried in the pass purchase.

skiur

Yup, wife left her NE pass at home last weekend. Elected to get her another card rather than burning a day on iKon which was in her bag. Cost us $5 for the new NE Go card. Pretty standard, I suppose the difference is we don't get a new one each year at SR, the old are just gets updated electronically so no new $5 charge each year buried in the pass purchase.

Killington is the same, I have been using the same RFID card for 3 seasons now, they don't automatically send you one each year. You do get 1 free a year if you loose yours and after the free one it's $5 if you need another.

KustyTheKlown

i've had a new ikon printed a few times and i dont think i have been asked to pay. at killington my old one was on me and had just stopped working tho.

BodeMiller1

Cannon Mountain was the first to use the wire T thingy to put your day pass on your coat. This was the greatest pass invention ever. They also wire sticks to the top of the fog line posts in the notch. Another Festivus miracle

Edd

Two seasons ago I lost my Bold and Beautiful pass (Cannon/BW). Bretton Woods charged a $25 replacement fee. I thought that was mean.

BodeMiller1

Two seasons ago I lost my Bold and Beautiful pass (Cannon/BW). Bretton Woods charged a $25 replacement fee. I thought that was mean.
Yes, that's too much. 🤕
Hopefully they used the same picture so you didn't have to run out to have a fluff.and.set.done on the hair.

BodeMiller1

i've had a new ikon printed a few times and i dont think i have been asked to pay. at killington my old one was on me and had just stopped working tho.
Also, they may have been scared to death of you. Please don't take this the wrong way.

Kind Regards

Swett

drjeff

I think the key thing you said there, and why it was likely a free replacement, is you had your card and it stopped working.

Far different than you simply forgot it or lost it.

I have a friend, who's 13yr old last season I think had over 10 new Epic Pass cards printed because he kept forgetting them at their condo which is about 20 minutes from the mountain. Pretty sure he incurred about $50 in new pass printing fees last year due to his son's absent mindedness. He's actually looking forward to his pass being on his phone this year as he likes to put it, he's pretty sure his son's phone is now surgically attached to his hand and he never looses that!

Bratwurst

I was showing a girl who works in the ski school with me these memes and she couldn’t believe this guy was actually the former CEO and not a TV character cause of all the obnoxious photos he has. Is there any other executive in history who loves their own picture so much 😂
Well, there's THIS GUY!

trump boarding.jpg

OUTTA THE WAY, LOSERS! EVERYBODY KNOWS THE GREAT ORANGE MANATEE RULES THESE SLOPES!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Most areas charge $5 for RFID cards. But based on this forum, one might think that was a "Vail thing."

Most areas opened with one T2B run, and people seem satisfied. But when a Vail owned area opens with 2 or 3 T2Bs, it's not good enough - at least on this thread.

I've noticed over my 50+ years of skiing, that we skierd like to find fault with anything less than a perfect day with 100% open with perfect grooming while simultaneously having perfect-untracked powder. Bitching about something appears to be a "skier-syndrome". I do it too. I suspect a call for objectivity with the AZ crowd might be too much to ask for!
I am going to take a break from the memes to comment. I do read this and other threads. This thread is aptly named, "VAIL SUCKS" and has been for years now the one thread where people comment and criticize Vail. So to expect folks to be singing Vail's praises in this thread is not realistic. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Second point is that I disagree with your assessment of the feedback regarding early season offerings so far for Vail Resorts. If anything, most folks are actually positive about what they are seeing. Sure, I've seen a couple folks comment that Crotched and Sunapee should have opened earlier, but if one goes into the Stowe thread the comments, reports, and pictures of the ski product all reflect well. I also read some positive reviews of Wildcat. Hell, Win Smith even praised Stowe. For context, Stowe is Sugarbush's arch rival. That is really saying something. I see you have only focused on the negative. So I cannot agree with your assessment.

The third point I will make is that you have only praised Vail, your employer, in this thread. I never see any criticism from you but instead defensive comments. You post here using your real name and not a pseudonym. That's your choice. Frankly, it seems pretty calculated to me to appease to those who supervise you and pay you. That's just my POV.

You resurfaced here last season. Presumably because SnowJournal is likely all but dead these days and you wanted to talk to more than the same handful of people. With that comes different views and perspectives that may not align with yours. If you don't like it here you can always go somewhere else.

That's all. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:

4aprice

Is the high meadow beginner terrain 100% open and in good shape after this recent snow? I need to get my kid a few lessons before those locals clinics start next month, but as of last week it was pretty poor. Thinking it's probably fine after this recent storm?
High Meadows looks like a great place for beginners. Nice Lodge there too. Good Luck, hope you have the same success we did and gain a ski buddy for life. The shock is when they start out skiing you and that comes quicker then you can imagine.

4aprice

I am going to take a break from the memes to comment. I do read this and other threads. This thread is aptly named, "VAIL SUCKS" and has been for years now the one thread where people comment and criticize Vail. So to expect folks to be singing Vail's praises in this thread is not realistic. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Second point is that I disagree with your assessment of the feedback regarding early season offerings so far for Vail Resorts. If anything, most folks are actually positive about what they are seeing. Sure, I've seen a couple folks comment that Crotched and Sunapee should have opened earlier, but if one goes into the Stowe thread the comments, reports, and pictures of the ski product all reflect well. I also read some positive reviews of Wildcat. Hell, Win Smith even praised Stowe. For context, Stowe is Sugarbush's arch rival. That is really saying something. I see you have only focused on the negative. So I cannot agree with your assessment.

The third point I will make is that you have only praised Vail, your employer, in this thread. I never see any criticism from you but instead defensive comments. You post here using your real name and not a pseudonym. That's your choice. Frankly, it seems pretty calculated to me to appease to those who supervise you and pay you. That's just my POV.

You resurfaced here last season. Presumably because SnowJournal is likely all but dead these days and you wanted to talk to more than the same handful of people. With that comes different views and perspectives that may not align with yours. If you don't like it here you can always go somewhere else.

That's all. Back to the regularly scheduled program.
I don't know Trail Boss I think that's a little harsh.

I certainly have enjoyed Joshua's input during the years both on here and Snow Journal (not sure he's on skitalk). He is a wealth of historical information on eastern skiing including data on past winters and changes in the industry. I mean we as skiers do complain a lot, including things we can't do anything about, like the weather for example.

Joshua lives on Crotched Mountain and has been through the various ownerships that have operated that mountain. He seems happy with Vail's methods and the way they operate the mountain so he's got the right to his opinion. Dr Jeff seems happy with operations at Mt Snow. One thing about skiing a Vail Resort is that you know they have the financial backing to do things and keep the area running. One thing I have always thought in watching what has been a rough start for them at "Atticat" was give them 5 years (maybe 6 due to the pandemic mess that happened after purchase) then come revisit and see how they are doing.

Certainly as you point out the Subject of the thread is "Vail Sucks" and certainly there has been 490 pages filled with complaints and memes demonstrating that. I understand why many despise it. I value those opinions as much as I do Joshua's and Dr Jeffs. I do like the lineup Epic has in both the east and the west and will purchase one of their passes one day to introduce my wife to Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek (have the feeling she will fall in love with that one).

Here's hoping everyone has a great holiday and great ski season overall.

ThatGuy

Is the high meadow beginner terrain 100% open and in good shape after this recent snow? I need to get my kid a few lessons before those locals clinics start next month, but as of last week it was pretty poor. Thinking it's probably fine after this recent storm?
Yes, the Sweet Pea carpet is running and so is High Meadow. Its a madhouse here today though so I’d go midweek if possible for their safety.

Looks like potential good snow falling and all webcams 'offline'?

How hard is it to maintain a simple webcam(s), which is your customer facing visibility? I'm constantly astonished. How many employees at each area?