• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

I read about that at Killington. That's pretty messed up if you ask me. You want to bust people for pouching by catching them in the act, that's fine. But tracking the whereabouts of your customers for anything but a SAR is pretty intrusive of their privacy.
Assuming this is the Killington app itself...in which case I guess those people didn't read the privacy policy. It clearly states they collect and use location information and one of the usages is listed as "to enforce our agreements and rules". Not one bit intrusive of their privacy if they used the resort's own app and I have no issues with the resort using the data that way. "Don't do stupid things, don't win stupid prizes." That said, from a user perspective I'd never use a resort's own app and this is a perfect reason why. You agree to give up way too much information using those apps.

Smellytele

Assuming this is the Killington app itself...in which case I guess those people didn't read the privacy policy. It clearly states they collect and use location information and one of the usages is listed as "to enforce our agreements and rules". Not one bit intrusive of their privacy if they used the resort's own app and I have no issues with the resort using the data that way. "Don't do stupid things, don't win stupid prizes." That said, from a user perspective I'd never use a resort's own app and this is a perfect reason why. You agree to give up way too much information using those apps.
Hence not using the epic app

deadheadskier

Staff member

That's fair except how many people actually read / know about what they are agreeing to when they use their app?

I mean I guess it's on them for not understanding what they are agreeing to. But there's also a reason they call it "fine print."

In general I don't get why people want to use any kind of app at all while skiing . Seems weird to me people care about how much vert they ski or how fast they go. Everybody's different, but I ski in part to escape from the world / technolgy for the day.

cdskier

That's fair except how many people actually read / know about what they are agreeing to when they use their app?

I mean I guess it's on them for not understanding what they are agreeing to. But there's also a reason they call it "fine print."

In general I don't get why people want to use any kind of app at all while skiing . Seems weird to me people care about how much vert they ski or how fast they go. Everybody's different, but I ski in part to escape from the world / technolgy for the day.

Like you said...that's on them. I also can't say I feel bad for people poaching closed runs.

I do like using a generic GPS app for tracking how much I ski. I enjoy doing year to year comparisons and trying to set goals. But I just turn the app on when I start skiing and let it run. I don't actively keep looking at it while I'm skiing. But again, the data is for my own usage, not for bragging or sharing with others.

tumbler

You don't use the SB app?

Bratwurst

rk1.jpg

Vail Resorts is the leading total solutions provider in the ski industry. Is your pass not working? Do you hate trying to remember your keys, cell phone etc....Well Vail Resorts has an EPIC Solution!!!!! GET CHIPPED!!!!!!! That's right, we'll drill into your frontal lobe, and insert a human microchip implant in your skull!!!!!!! Appointments are available today!! The cost? Well, if you have to ask the price YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!! Just kidding. It's a free service from your epic family at Vail Resorts!!!! How epic is that??? Subdermal chip is free, installation extra.

small print and disclaimers. One time appointment at ripperdoc-$1500.00, anaesthesia-$2500.00 parking -$30.00 Total cost $7030.00. Which card will you be using today?

Edd

I tend to enjoy using tech but, when I assume I’ll return to Vail’s sweet creepy embrace next season, I’ll resist using that app for sure.

raisingarizona

Everybody loves to hate the big guys that are on top.

I worked at an ikon resort this past summer and as much as I may dislike what those mega passes are doing to skiing it’s definitely helping some resorts create better, year round employment for their employees as well as increasing their pay.

BenedictGomez

Most of you view this comically, but I see it as within a few years Vail Resorts contracts B2B with 23 & Me and Ancestry.com and before you know it people with Swiss, Japanese, French, and Italian ancestry start receiving targeted "deal" emails from Crans-Montana, Hakuba, Les 3 Vallées, and the Dolamites.

Not kidding.

Last edited:

thebigo

Okemo advice needed. Best place for Tues - thurs dinner midweek? Looking for bar food with a kids menu, nothing fancy. Staying at the winterplace condos, meeting coaches at clocktower 9 AM daily. Is it reasonable to ski down or better to drive?

chuckstah

Okemo advice needed. Best place for Tues - thurs dinner midweek? Looking for bar food with a kids menu, nothing fancy. Staying at the winterplace condos, meeting coaches at clocktower 9 AM daily. Is it reasonable to ski down or better to drive?
The Loft Tavern right next to the base area, but independent, should be fine for dinner. Might want to call to confirm kids menu.
It's much easier to ski down to the clocktower than driving. There might be a short walk to the snow depending on what unit and what's open for trails, but it's a longer walk from the parking lot.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Been a long time since we were regulars, but when we lived in town we found DJs and the Loft to be the most consistent.

Quietman

Machski, you should have said hello! I was on the ledge behind you. In fact, when I enlarge your sunset selfie, I believe that I can see myself in the reflection from your goggles.

1702604495799.png

Mainer

the Haul rope is up and they are putting chairs on the new lift at attitash. Maybe they will make Christmas week. if They can blow enough snow