• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Bratwurst

I can afford $12 beers, but I patently refuse.

I'd say $8/pint is pretty much my limit, but at that price it better be an IPA or something microbrewed. A pint shouldnt be more than $6 or $7 tops, at that price the margin is still insanely good business - anything more is just taking advantage of suckers when suckers are in solid supply.
I had a couple of $8 pints at von Trapp brewery when I was at Stowe last week. I don't know where the von Trapp brewery ranks next to all the brew houses near Stowe but if you like German and Czech style pilsners and lagers, it's worth a visit.

The real fun began when I eavesdropped on all the locals at the bar whinging and bemoaning about all the Epic pass skiers at the mountain. Even the bartender gave me an earful. I said, "Yes, the hordes have invaded....and I'm one of them" Dead silence. What I should have said is "The God of skiing, Rob Katz has sent me to snowplow down the front four and ask a shit ton of stupid questions"

gittist

when we go to Colorado that at loveland they have grills....
The last time we were at Loveland my wife was worried about me skiing the steep trails you see from the parking lot so I told her that I’d ski that little hill by the lodge. Guess where the lift went? LOL

The snow was up to my knees but luckily I figured out what to do before I got back down to the trees.

BodeMiller1

This isn’t Vail related, but I’m continually baffled by the fact Jay Peak doesn’t have a snow stake cam while they constantly announce exorbitant snow totals…
Yes, the stake at Stowe is great.

The rules for measuring snow are:

The platform has to be wood. it has to be at least x from structures.
The area around the platform has to be grass (or something like it). These rules seem silly, but Stowe gives a good look at what's going on there.

BodeMiller1

Yea...I don't think "quarantine after traveling out of state" is what they intended to be covered there. I'm not a lawyer and not about to carefully read or interpret the legalese, but I'd just be careful to anyone that thinks this scenario is covered under that. I'd be more likely to say it is not covered. Vail will argue that you're allowed to leave your home state in order to get to the ski area and it isn't their problem about what you have to do when you get back.
Not an attorney either, but "an act of god" is in a lot of contracts. So, weather, plague and those kinds of things are probably what they can hang their hats on.
The states of the North East Attorney Generals could break them up under antitrust laws. It's a pretty high bar. Are they colluding to keep prices high? Unfair labor practices? Are they harming the industry?
Yes, Yes and absolutely. 😳

What about summer tourism? Don't think they're big enough.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Reading this thread is like driving by a car accident. You don't want to look...
I didn't realize the amount of money some of you are shelling out.

The ski at night comments are spot on. Smaller mountains ski bigger at night. See the same people, a cool way to battle boardem in the winter. The snows drier.

It doesn't have to turn colder, but it will. It's like gardening, you have to believe something betters around the corner.

Happy Festivus

drjeff

Apparently the new Mountaineer Quad at Attitash is undergoing load testing today... shouldn't have any issues at all with filling those buckets up with enough water! 😉🤣🥺

Attachments

• 20231218_123012.jpg
    20231218_123012.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 17

thetrailboss

Staff member
Apparently the new Mountaineer Quad at Attitash is undergoing load testing today... shouldn't have any issues at all with filling those buckets up with enough water! 😉🤣🥺
"So much for all of you bitching that it would not open on time. The truth is that I sent the rain so that we'd not be late."

images

Mainer

Both notches, the Kanc, and a bunch of local roads closed by attitash. The new lift will be scenic if they open at all for Christmas week.

gittist

I apologize if this has already been answered...

Does anyone know if my physical pass would also work if I were to activate the EPIC App option?

I saw in the FAQs that you have to have a physical pass for the partner resorts but I am wondering what about the Vail owned places. If I activated the app does that deactivate the physical pass for Vail owned slopes so I have to use the phone?

If that’s the case I ain’t gonna do it!

Otherwise it might be a good idea in case you forget your physical pass...

drjeff

I apologize if this has already been answered...

Does anyone know if my physical pass would also work if I were to activate the EPIC App option?

I saw in the FAQs that you have to have a physical pass for the partner resorts but I am wondering what about the Vail owned places. If I activated the app does that deactivate the physical pass for Vail owned slopes so I have to use the phone?

If that’s the case I ain’t gonna do it!

Otherwise it might be a good idea in case you forget your physical pass...
Both will work. And whichever the scanner reads 1st on any given day, is the 1 that will work for the rest of the day. I usually keep my phone in my chest coat pocket which I tend to use as my pass (You get Epic vertical and lifts ridden data from the phone pass only now), and then keep my plastic pass on me in a back pocket, because its easier for the food and beverage folks to scan at the register for the discount in my findings, That way there doesn't seem to be any cross scanning confusion for lift access

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

The muckrakers are right. Attitash and Wildcat are underperforming and it's embarrassing for the state.

ThatGuy

The muckrakers are right. Attitash and Wildcat are underperforming and it's embarrassing for the state.
IMG_8671.jpeg
“Fake News…I called up my friend, my great friend. Robert Katz, hes a real great guy. You people are lucky hes taking such good care of you, some don’t get that treatment. I spoke to him at Beaver Creek…he said hes doing all he can…and he does great!”