• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Memories are short: What sunk ASC was not their year-to-year profitability. They were profitable until they had to pay the heavy junk-bond debt servicing in the 20% per annum range. MTN is not in that position.
Yes. Les Otten got way over his skis with too much debt at sky high rates. Most of Vail's acquisitions came in the Fed ZIRP era and their interest is tiny compared to ASC's. Now if they have to roll over any of that debt at today's rates, that's a different story.

Wildcat is dead last on this list with only 15% of their trails open.

Last edited:

kingslug

As far as PC goes...been going there for a long time...
I stay at the canyons...plenty of parking
I ski mostly canyons...no lines
Thousands of acres and people complain its not enough...
And when I feel like going over to PC area...ski over first thing in the morning...pretty peaceful...about 40 minutes..
Beats sitting on the road to Lcc for hours praying I don't get hit with an avi...
I do miss going there though..

machski

Attitash has historically never hung with Loon or Bretton Woods. Opening days consistently the first week of December, usually 2-3 weeks later than BW and 1-2 weeks after Loon.

This thread is driven by a few people who would prefer Wildcat and Attitash punch above their weight class because it would be more convenient for them to ski there, but the reality is Wildcat and Attitash have never been that product, despite wishful thinking or revisionist history.
Wrong again Adiron, look at the data set you posted. Attitash most certainly held its own with the Bigger NH players during the LBO Holdings/ASC era, consistently opening in mid November from the late 90's til ASC collapsed. After that, Peaks and Vail have both held back to early December opens as both pivoted early season focus away from Tash. So I guess our critique of Vail to n the early push front is a bit off, Peaks didn't push Tash either. So Vail just followed that trend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wrong again Adiron, look at the data set you posted. Attitash most certainly held its own with the Bigger NH players during the LBO Holdings/ASC era, consistently opening in mid November from the late 90's til ASC collapsed. After that, Peaks and Vail have both held back to early December opens as both pivoted early season focus away from Tash. So I guess our critique of Vail to n the early push front is a bit off, Peaks didn't push Tash either. So Vail just followed that trend.
I, too, was using the LBO days of the 1990’s and early 2000’s as a reference.

thebigo

There was significant October snowfall that year allowing most mountains to open early and with decent terrain offerings. That was never the normal operating plan.
There was minimal early natural that year. There was a cold snap in October and peak blew the snot out of wildcat. If i recollect lynx was the first 2K vert run open in the east. I was there opening day but do not have any good pictures. I do have pictures of SR a few days prior.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_174246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230_174246_Gallery.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 10

thebigo

My agenda was never Vail. My agenda was ReNew Snow.
Your agenda has always been crotched.

Crotched is an asset to NH skiing and more importantly the sport. Joshua Segal is an asset to crotched, the glade work you have done is unmatched.

Unfortunately vail is a cancer on NH skiing. If Peak resorts had survived, there is zero question I would have raised my kids crotched.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Unfortunately vail is a cancer on NH skiing. If Peak resorts had survived, there is zero question I would have raised my kids crotched.
"You know, Vail is all about growth. I'm sure that you misspoke by saying "cancer", because we're benign."

2018-22_rob-katz-by-jb-web.jpg;w=1200;h=800;mode=crop

BodeMiller1

It's fun to blow things up. If you know what you're doing. 💥

I thought the place was public property.

Out west if the environmentalests don't like a new lift. They burn it down. Mix oil and gas, etc. around here there's more of a process....

Meow

😺

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Your agenda has always been crotched.

Crotched is an asset to NH skiing and more importantly the sport. Joshua Segal is an asset to crotched, the glade work you have done is unmatched.

You misunderstood my posting. Yes, Crotched is important to me and thank you for the props on my work there. If you would be interested, once the glades are open, I will be happy to give you up to 4-half price passes for a day here.

But one of the moderators noted that I left AZ some years ago and suggested that I returned to AZ to defend Vail.

That is not true. I came back to AZ to monitor chat on ReNew Snow and to comment on it as appropriate. This month ReNew Snow was dissolved with rights to further develop the patent assigned to a small Maine-based corporation. I was a small investor in ReNew Snow.

cdskier

WTH is Renew Snow?

It was a technology that when JS first posted about many of us commented that we didn't think it was the game-changer it was made out to be. Essentially if I remember correctly the goal was to essentially "collect" melted snow or run-off near each snow-gun itself in a mini-underground tank. Thus reducing the need to pump water from distant ponds. I think some testing with proof of concepts may have been done at Saddleback from what I remember.