• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm just going to leave this here. Source: LiftBlog.com

newliftpurchasers2023.png

deadheadskier

Staff member
So looking at Attitash website, absolutely zero information on where snow is being made. Just a little blurb in the report saying snowmaking temps have returned. If I was still a pass holder, id want to know where snow was being made and especially if those efforts will result in the new lift opening.

It's absolutely stunning to me how clueless Vail is about what's important to avid skiers in the East. It's not just their piss poor efforts making snow, but their inability to communicate what MTN OPs are looking like for the day. Unless you are a resort Sugarbush on North in VT that gets abundant natural snow, what is going on with snowmaking is about the number one topic avid eastern skiers are concerned about.

The way they run their mountains borders on arrogance. Basically, "Here's a cheap pass. Just show up and be happy with what we provide you for cheap."

kendo

So looking at Attitash website, absolutely zero information on where snow is being made. Just a little blurb in the report saying snowmaking temps have returned. If I was still a pass holder, id want to know where snow was being made and especially if those efforts will result in the new lift opening.

It's absolutely stunning to me how clueless Vail is about what's important to avid skiers in the East. It's not just their piss poor efforts making snow, but their inability to communicate what MTN OPs are looking like for the day. Unless you are a resort Sugarbush on North in VT that gets abundant natural snow, what is going on with snowmaking is about the number one topic avid eastern skiers are concerned about.

The way they run their mountains borders on arrogance. Basically, "Here's a cheap pass. Just show up and be happy with what we provide you for cheap."

agree 100% - see my post in the weather thread!

Last edited:

kendo

Stowe magazine notes the new GM had never skied the East before arriving here and was 'shocked by the narrowness of the trails'. Northstar, Breck and a 300' vert resort in Missouri, past experience.

Early reports of terrain openings were encouraging, but she quickly got schooled in the need for underlying snowmaking thanks to the 12/18 storm.

Once those narrow trails get skied off, you're gonna need to make some more snow...

cdskier

This is partially a Vail issue (in that their website template does not natively have a snowmaking symbol/status on the trail report), but it is also a local issue as the text report can easily mention where snow is being made (i.e. as Stowe does on a regular basis in their snow report).

deadheadskier

Staff member
This is partially a Vail issue (in that their website template does not natively have a snowmaking symbol/status on the trail report), but it is also a local issue as the text report can easily mention where snow is being made (i.e. as Stowe does on a regular basis in their snow report).

Just looked and you are right. Stowe adds those details.

Just checked all 4 of their NH properties. Not a one of them took the 30 seconds to add specifics to their report. Is it laziness or stupidity?

BenedictGomez

So looking at Attitash website, absolutely zero information on where snow is being made.

This is a huge peeve of mine. They dont even diplay snowmaking for Park City, which I think is their 2nd largest property. It sucks.

But I disagree with your assessment that it's because Vail is "clueless" - it's obvious to me it's a choice made on purpose. They don't want you to know.

Why? I'm uncertain, but my best guess is that if Vail never displays snowmaking then you have literally no idea how little they're doing or even when they stop. Why else would they leave this information out?

cdskier

Just looked and you are right. Stowe adds those details.

Just checked all 4 of their NH properties. Not a one of them took the 30 seconds to add specifics to their report. Is it laziness or stupidity?
FWIW, Okemo and Mt Snow both also list out the trails that have snowmaking in the text snow report as well.

Hunter's text report on their website is pathetic on the other hand. I've literally never seen such a brief snow report:
Good morning skiers and riders. Hunter Mountain is open with 22 trails served by 10 lifts. Today will be partly cloudy with tempatures in the mid 30s and winds from the north at 4 mph. Possibility of some light snow at the Summit.

Definitely some local incompetence in both Vail's NY and NH properties compared to the VT ones.

zyk

This is a huge peeve of mine. They dont even diplay snowmaking for Park City, which I think is their 2nd largest property. It sucks.

But I disagree with your assessment that it's because Vail is "clueless" - it's obvious to me it's a choice made on purpose. They don't want you to know.

Why? I'm uncertain, but my best guess is that if Vail never displays snowmaking then you have literally no idea how little they're doing or even when they stop. Why else would they leave this information out?
I watch the Hunter report as it was my home mountain. Very confusing and reports from locals often don't match the report. On the other hand Belleayre puts out a report in the morning, and then again after close indicating what will be happening for the next day. Very helpful.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I think you’re giving local staff too much credit for thinking like that. I imagine that most of them are not there because they’re skiers. It’s just a low paying job to pay the bills. They have no idea what real skiers and riders want. If a non-skier read the Hunter report mentioned above they would think it was adequate.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I watch the Hunter report as it was my home mountain. Very confusing and reports from locals often don't match the report. On the other hand Belleayre puts out a report in the morning, and then again after close indicating what will be happening for the next day. Very helpful.

It's not only helpful, but it builds stoke and gets people excited to come.

I have two Epic day passes. 1 I intend on using at Attitash, 1 at Wildcat. If I was contemplating Attitash this weekend, I'd probably give up on the idea as nothing in the report indicates the new Quad may finally open. OTOH, if I saw them list snowmaking for Saco or Northwest Passage, I'd be keeping a close eye on the place as a possibility.

But I guess it goes to show, Vail doesn't really care about the moment and incremental revenue streams. It's all about number of passes sold in the off season for them.

BenedictGomez

I think you’re giving local staff too much credit for thinking like that.

The local staff has no input as to the website design & information displayed (or not displayed) over the internet.

Like every other Vail decision, even that is infinitely micromanaged from Broomfield, Colorado, right down to the color scheme.
Everything is the same....... everything must be the same...... one of us....... one of us.......

1704137168217.png

ThatGuy

I think you’re giving local staff too much credit for thinking like that. I imagine that most of them are not there because they’re skiers. It’s just a low paying job to pay the bills. They have no idea what real skiers and riders want. If a non-skier read the Hunter report mentioned above they would think it was adequate.
Id say 80% of the staff here besides ski patrol and instructors don’t even ski.

Newpylong

It's not only helpful, but it builds stoke and gets people excited to come.

I have two Epic day passes. 1 I intend on using at Attitash, 1 at Wildcat. If I was contemplating Attitash this weekend, I'd probably give up on the idea as nothing in the report indicates the new Quad may finally open. OTOH, if I saw them list snowmaking for Saco or Northwest Passage, I'd be keeping a close eye on the place as a possibility.

But I guess it goes to show, Vail doesn't really care about the moment and incremental revenue streams. It's all about number of passes sold in the off season for them.
May be in luck they mentioned Saco in one of their Social Media posts. Shouldn't need to hunt that hard to find what trails they're working on though.

snoseek

With that shiny new chair they're gonna want to get multiple routes off the top to handle that kinda volume. I'll hold out till wilfreds/northwest opens

BodeMiller1

It's fun to blow things up. If you know what you're doing. 💥

I thought the place was public property.

Out west if the environmentalests don't like a new lift. They burn it down. Mix oil and gas, etc. around here there's more of a process....

Meow

DHS if you were doing a poor job making snow and people had paid a good chunk of money would you broadcast it?
Or would you not get into the situation?

It's like going to a restaurant and everyone is getting served and you ask where's ours and the waiter brushes you off. ( I think there's a Seinfeld episode.)

There are no more excuses. They have the cold...
Mean while, back at stately camp David Stowe and Bolton are in a low output butt steady snow cloud. From "news" reports John Travolta is at Stowe. 😳

One of the Best things about Stowe is making fun of the way many of the guests look. It's the opposite of Cannon

deadheadskier

Staff member
If snowmaking was my issue thus far, but I'm finally getting after it, Id let people know in every way possible. Otherwise people will assume you are still sucking ass

BodeMiller1

If snowmaking was my issue thus far, but I'm finally getting after it, Id let people know in every way possible. Otherwise people will assume you are still sucking ass
It would be funny if it wasn't ski season. I'm biased, but Cannon lets you know what they're going to make snow on as do other areas. Also many show new snow on trail maps, etc.
Vail has some slick PR types writing the mountain reports, a little too slick.
It's not a perfect world.

Think Snow 🤔

snoseek

It would be funny if it wasn't ski season. I'm biased, but Cannon lets you know what they're going to make snow on as do other areas. Also many show new snow on trail maps, etc.
Vail has some slick PR types writing the mountain reports, a little too slick.
It's not a perfect world.

Think Snow 🤔
Over the past few years cannon has really stepped up their snowmaking during these rough patches. This is how wildcat and attitash should operate.