• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wonder how it survives the early season warm ups. While I'm sure the racers like being on the Spruce side for lesser crowds, Hayride would be the better choice for early season.

jimmywilson69

Main Street is a lot of acreage, definitely way more than Hay Ride. I guess they can just run back to the lift and the academy probably just vans to the lift? Or I wonder if they'll provide lift serve access and roll out more of Spruce earlier?

4aprice

Wonder how it survives the early season warm ups. While I'm sure the racers like being on the Spruce side for lesser crowds, Hayride would be the better choice for early season.
Sounds like they want to take after Copper. They get a whole slew of terrain open for early season training that remains closed to the public till these early season camps are finished. Some people complain about wasted resources but it doesn't bother me

thebigo

Sounds like they want to take after Copper. They get a whole slew of terrain open for early season training that remains closed to the public till these early season camps are finished. Some people complain about wasted resources but it doesn't bother me
Sunday river did the same thing last year, opened locke for training, then jordan for the public. WV also trains on high country before the mountain opens to the public. SR honors season passes for preseason, WV does not.

1726494616840.png

machski

Main Street is a lot of acreage, definitely way more than Hay Ride. I guess they can just run back to the lift and the academy probably just vans to the lift? Or I wonder if they'll provide lift serve access and roll out more of Spruce earlier?
My guess would be Meadow's gets made and Meadow's spins with the link to/from Sensation Quad early along with Main Street. That would open up the public learning area much earlier. Perhaps they add in the slalom course too off meadows before getting to Sunny Spruce terrain.

ctdubl07

Maybe Vail will announce some names for their open GM positions in the very near future, as they've been having a leadership summit at Mount Snow the last few days.....
I just went on to Vails opportunities page and then drilled down to MS and I'm surprised to see them listing the GM job....I've spent my life in the corporate world and it's rare to see such a level "posted" amongst listings like cooks, child care, lifties and spa attendants.

It may be labor law transparency and VT paranoia but being posted at this point is kinda surprisingly considering a company so vast should have mobility hungry candidates.

Zand

Yup. Fuckers took my old parking spot. Used to be a lot right there and midweek you parked right next to the Spruce Double.
I felt the same way about Burke when they put in the hotel lol...on weekdays I always either parked right against the hill that led to the lodge or I parked in the corner of the lot closest to the lift and had maybe a 30 foot walk. Miss those days.

urungus

BROOMFIELD, Colo., Sept. 26, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- After 10 years of rapid expansion, Vail Resorts (NYSE: MTN), the world's largest mountain resort operator, today announced a two-year plan to transform the company for future growth and global expansion.

[snip]

The two-year Resource Efficiency Transformation Plan is designed to improve organizational effectiveness and scale for operating leverage as the company grows. Through scaled operations, global shared services, and expanded workforce management, the company expects $100 million in annualized cost efficiencies by the end of its 2026 fiscal year.

[snip]

A portion of the cost efficiencies are position eliminations, impacting less than 2 percent of the company's total workforce, including 14 percent of its corporate workforce and less than 1 percent of the company's operations workforce. Impacts in operations are focused on management structure and back-end support structure, with only 0.2 percent impact on frontline roles.

thetrailboss

Staff member

BROOMFIELD, Colo., Sept. 26, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- After 10 years of rapid expansion, Vail Resorts (NYSE: MTN), the world's largest mountain resort operator, today announced a two-year plan to transform the company for future growth and global expansion.

[snip]

The two-year Resource Efficiency Transformation Plan is designed to improve organizational effectiveness and scale for operating leverage as the company grows. Through scaled operations, global shared services, and expanded workforce management, the company expects $100 million in annualized cost efficiencies by the end of its 2026 fiscal year.

[snip]

A portion of the cost efficiencies are position eliminations, impacting less than 2 percent of the company's total workforce, including 14 percent of its corporate workforce and less than 1 percent of the company's operations workforce. Impacts in operations are focused on management structure and back-end support structure, with only 0.2 percent impact on frontline roles.
Looks like creative ways of saying “layoffs” and “downsizing.”

🤔

And one news site is calling it what it is…

BenedictGomez

oh-my-god-its-happening-mike-sorrentino.gif

drjeff

When you have a corporate office filled with lots and lots of middle and higher level management folks, often with job titles that have 6-10+ words in them to define their importance and existence, chances are that a little culling of the herd is needed, as you have an environment where you have too many people not doing enough day to day/week to week/month to month to continue to justify so many decent sized to big salaries.

Vail Resorts has been in a decade plus (or more) culture of developing talent from within (not always a bad thing) but as much of that talent has been younger, and want to keep moving up, they created LOTS of new jobs/roles/titles for them, and really haven't had a needed number of existing employees retire and/or move on to other opportunites, and as such the corporate office got a lot more people working there than they need

AdironRider

By almost all accounts, Crotched is run well. This seems like a good promotion for her to a better property in the portfolio.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Heh was that really worth it when the Spruce Double took like 25 minutes to ride

100%. That slow ride reduced the traffic in the Birthday Bowls by at least half. It was more like a 15 minute ride. I used to start my days half the time there and do a bowl run to start the day. You also could show up at like 9 on weekends and get a great spot to park and no line to start the day.