• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thebigo

Attitash has posted that thier belt is closed for maintenance. It has not run in nine months, what could they possibly be working on that could not have been completed in the last nine months. No mention of the carpet on the wildcat website. Think about that, three hydroelectric facilities can be overhauled in nine months, a vaccine can be developed studied and manufactured. Meanwhile, vail cannot get a carpet open.

My wife has a six day weekend, the most days off she has had since the word covid entered our lexicon. The plan was to put our four year old in private lessons so she could ski with our eight year old. We have been planning this for months and they cannot get the damned carpet open. They ask you to book lessons ahead but how is that possible if we don't know the lift will run.

This company needs to be put out of business.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Attitash has posted that thier belt is closed for maintenance. It has not run in nine months, what could they possibly be working on that could not have been completed in the last nine months. No mention of the carpet on the wildcat website. Think about that, three hydroelectric facilities can be overhauled in nine months, a vaccine can be developed studied and manufactured. Meanwhile, vail cannot get a carpet open.

My wife has a six day weekend, the most days off she has had since the word covid entered our lexicon. The plan was to put our four year old in private lessons so she could ski with our eight year old. We have been planning this for months and they cannot get the damned carpet open. They ask you to book lessons ahead but how is that possible if we don't know the lift will run.

Wow.

What are you talking about regarding hydroelectric dams? Any specific ones in NH that were overhauled?

2Planker

SIMPLE - There was ZERO maintenance done at Attitash this summer. Nothing, Zippo, Nada

Vail just planned on showing up in October and turning everything ON.

kingslug

Theres a lot of that going on...I'm a chief maintenance engineer...companies think that things just dont break..if you don't use them. Vail seems a little clueless about this, or doesn't care. Ski resorts have a lot of moving parts..and considering they can't even staff lifts I'm wondering about their maintenance staffing.

kingslug

If they open the N parking lot , they have to put a body there with a scanner to make sure you have a reservation. Guess they don't want to pay for that.
And more lifts= more bodies. They havent touched the West side yet as its like a small mountain unto itself..more grooming, snowmaking, staff the lift, more patrol.
Why isn't Racers Edge open? That one I don't get..its right there.
We just have to get through this season..its tough on everyone.

Funky_Catskills

Let's add this.............Hunter has been very busy (good for them) BUT they have limited lifts going!? How in the hell does that make for good social distancing?? Shit they don't have the North's parking lot open how stupid is that???? F VAIL!!!!!!!

Was told that they are going to open the North lot soon... hunter contacted me on chat and we had a long chat.
When I rode the other day there were people in the line asking people to mask up. Feeling better about all this now.

thebigo

Currently night skiing at crotch and I have zero complaints. Every lift that should be running is running well and every trail that should be open is open. The lights are even on early.

Mainer

They were grooming the magic carpet today at attitash, after they finished people were walking up for lessons. The triple was running better then when it opened last week. Kinda sucked to go over a freshly groomed tightrope on lift that wasn’t open. The two peaks are still not connected,the same huge mounds of snow are still on a bunch of trails. I’ve been skiing Attitash since I was a kid with my asc pass, this is by far the worst effort I have ever seen from them. If they want they can blow a shit ton of snow at once. Really really pathetic. Attitash does at least have a snow report now, can’t say the same for wildcat. Poor decision on my part to get an epic pass, won’t be maKing that mistake again. Thanks vail, u suck!!!!

Katahdin

I can understand why Attitash is waiting to push out the whales with the forecast, but it they better pull it together quickly when the weather recovers. I agree..."Vail, u suck!"

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Vail = ASC?

(only worse?)

Good can of worms to open. By the end of it you could argue ASC was worse. Same stuff with cutting ski seasons short and not doing basic maintenance. I'd argue ASC was worse... they were broken from the beginning and pulled that shit for 7-10 years.

By all accounts Vail is not letting its "flagships" turn to crap...ASC did that to Killington...same issues these smaller VR places are going through- not running lifts, not making snow, no maintenance, etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree for the most part, but I don't believe it was ASC who cut Ks season short. That was Powdr during the Nyberg years

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I agree for the most part, but I don't believe it was ASC who cut Ks season short. That was Powdr during the Nyberg years

It was pretty bad by the 00s. In the 90s they made June 1 six times, and only once in the 200s (and that was only June 1). First weekend of May closings the last two years of the ASC reign.

But don't get me wrong, Nyberg still sucks ;) Maybe a lot was done behind the scenes maintenance-wise, but I ran out of ammo defending the guy once Mike took over and snowmaking returned in a HUUUUGE way.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was pretty bad by the 00s. In the 90s they made June 1 six times, and only once in the 200s (and that was only June 1). First weekend of May closings the last two years of the ASC reign.

But don't get me wrong, Nyberg still sucks ;) Maybe a lot was done behind the scenes maintenance-wise, but I ran out of ammo defending the guy once Mike took over and snowmaking returned in a HUUUUGE way.
ASC cut them back to May.

And I don't think it was Nyberg who was the problem as much as it was John Cumming.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good can of worms to open. By the end of it you could argue ASC was worse. Same stuff with cutting ski seasons short and not doing basic maintenance. I'd argue ASC was worse... they were broken from the beginning and pulled that shit for 7-10 years.

By all accounts Vail is not letting its "flagships" turn to crap...ASC did that to Killington...same issues these smaller VR places are going through- not running lifts, not making snow, no maintenance, etc.
Yeah I agree. ASC was way over leveraged from the get-go. That said, Vail is larger than ASC ever was.

xlr8r

The difference between ASC and Vail is that Vail is clearly playing favorites with their mountains. They seem to be spending lots of money at their top tier resorts, but shafting others. ASC on the other hand was so in debt they could not spend money anywhere. The only place ASC spent money on was The Canyons, and that was primarily done to keep expanding into The Colony where they were selling real estate.

Newpylong

Doesn't surprise me about Attitash sucking wind this year. Their GM used to run the Grand and is clueless. On the Mountain Ops side Vail refused to even offer interviews for critical open positions (Lift, Grooming, and Snowmaking Managers) right up to late Fall. The result was their Snow Surfaces Manager quit and went to Sunday River. He's young and one of the best there is. You order it you eat it I say.