• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

johnl87

Not that it’s the biggest reasons but vaccination requirements limit your available work force.

With only ~67% of New Hampshire residents vaccinated means you are limiting/alienating your available work force pool.

It’s just math.
ding ding ding. and 5 bucks more an hour doesn't matter if they can suddenly take your job away for not taking a medication. fortunately we have a lot of other places up here who never did this to employees. glad i found a much better place to work. bye bye vail.

and by the way, if they force boosters on employees, even more will leave.

snoseek

ding ding ding. and 5 bucks more an hour doesn't matter if they can suddenly take your job away for not taking a medication. fortunately we have a lot of other places up here who never did this to employees. glad i found a much better place to work. bye bye vail.

and by the way, if they force boosters on employees, even more will leave.
A 20 per hour minimum will solve that issue. They can be choosy at that rate.

catskillman

If I had to guess part of it is the pay is still not as high as other companies or job openings in area. Also people/employees are just fed up with Vail. Sure you can make more money but it’s still not the best company to work for.

Vaccine mandates might play a small part.

Also the work force in general is smaller now then before pandemic. That 55-65 year old workforce is smaller.l with people just retiring early via pandemic. Small percentage maybe but still less people.

$20/hr in some of these rural areas should help. That should be more then other companies. Should help draw in employees
keep in mind these are mainly seasonal jobs, not year round. silly to take a $20 seasonal job vs a $15 year round job, especially since in many areas they cannot collect umemployment

RH29

You never know. Last month I learned that my 14 person eyedoctor's office let go of 4 people because they wouldn't submit to the New Jersey vaccine mandate, and that's in a healthcare setting to boot.
It isn't the vaccine mandate. 93% of VT has one dose, 81% is fully vaccinated, and any sort of international workers (which Killington had a lot of when I visited in late Feb) are vaccinated.

BenedictGomez

"Ted McDowell will transition in April from director of food and beverage at Heavenly Mountain Resort, Calif., to general manager of Roundtop."

Looking forward to an EPIC cafeteria experience...

This is a bit disconcerting, LOL

You know, I was going to give Vail the benefit of the doubt & figured he surely must have mountain ops experience somewhere in his past, so I looked-up his bio = Nope. Thirty years in food and beverage.

Exhibit # 479 that Vail doesn't care about its feeder hills.

elks

It isn't the vaccine mandate. 93% of VT has one dose, 81% is fully vaccinated, and any sort of international workers (which Killington had a lot of when I visited in late Feb) are vaccinated.
I can only tell you what I saw in my department and at my mountain. There it was almost entirely vaccine related and a few folks that weren't able to commit due to the dynamics of their real job outside of the mountain.

BenedictGomez

It isn't the vaccine mandate. 93% of VT has one dose, 81% is fully vaccinated,

Vermont is one of the most heavily vaccinated states, and even then back in December it was 75% fully vaccinated, which would eliminate a whopping 1 in 4 people from employment. In reality, it's way higher than that because the population of double-vaxed skews way older than a normal population distribution, to the point I bet it would have eliminated close to 50% of all potential candidates aged 18 - 45 back when the ski season started & hiring ramped-up.

Even today if you go to the VT State Vax dashboard only 62% of those 18-29 years old (the key ski worker demo) are fully vaccinated. So the more I think about this by taking a quick peak at the data, I think vaccination status probably mattered way more than people think.

jimmywilson69

"Ted McDowell will transition in April from director of food and beverage at Heavenly Mountain Resort, Calif., to general manager of Roundtop."

Looking forward to an EPIC cafeteria experience...

F@%k...

Why would this guy want to move from Heavenly 3000 Miles across the country to a ski area that is open for 3-4 months a year. He literally has no experience running a mountain.

Where did you see this?

Mainer

My phone was in my car. I forgot it while getting my kids ready. I’m vaccinated, don’t give a shit if you are. Haven’t been in the wc lodge this year, usually just go to my car in c lot. Had hot chocolate and snacks there. Kid was screaming about cold feet, she’s never done that before. It was cold. Ran her into lodge with wife, wife searched phone for her card, kid was screaming while she flipped through her phone until she found it. I guess I should have just made my 5 yr old her sit on the floor by door and take off her boots. Wife found it, card checker wouldn’t let me in. I had to walk back to c lot to get my phone to sit with family.

Mainer

you are so oppressed!
Stupid rules that make no sense piss me off. Being able to warm up a 5 yr old at a ski area should be a given. No other area in the mwv has stupid rules like vail And no other area is hurting for staff like atticat. Coincidence?

Andrew B.

oh great all the maga fucks are back.
So the more I think about this by taking a quick peak at the data, I think vaccination status probably mattered way more than people think.
Or is it that it doesn’t fit their agenda and they can’t actually assemble a sensible, factual response to prove it doesn’t so they dismiss it with simple insults?